Help Needed: Painful Fistula Next to Stoma

Replies
Views
obajtekjessica
Sep 13, 2023 5:04 am

I need help. Has anyone had a fistula next to your stoma? I have one and it is so painful, and it is now through my abdominal wall leaking out my body 😭

Beth22
Sep 13, 2023 11:44 am

If you haven't done so, you need to call your doctor.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,874 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber
Sep 13, 2023 12:10 pm

Yes, I have one and have dealt with it for four years and will need surgery to repair it. I pack it every day and have come up with a system that gets me through 24 hours before I have to change my badges. Although my fistula is about 4 inches from my stoma. Let me know if you want more detail. Or check with your WOC nurse.

IGGIE
Sep 13, 2023 1:16 pm
Reply to Cplumber

G'day Cplumber, can I ask why you have had it for 4 years and not had it repaired yet??

Cplumber
Sep 13, 2023 2:10 pm
Reply to IGGIE

You may.😀. I have had 7 major surgeries all ostomy-related. Almost died due to sepsis once and to repair this would be another, so I'm awaiting for when I have 2 or till I'm ready. To be honest, just kinda a chicken shit at this point, but it does get old taking care of it, but at least it's not on my ass. 😅.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy
Sep 13, 2023 3:28 pm

Hello OKJessica

I had a 1-inch diameter hole open up at the bottom of my surgical incision, 2 weeks after surgery. I think this is a fistula? Looking in a mirror... that hole went way back.... freaked me out.

Doctor told me to get silver alginate and something called Vashe. I got both on Amazon. His instructions: Everyday, pour Vashe into the hole (this really freaked me out). Wait a couple of minutes. Then using a paper towel, blot up the Vashe. Then cut a piece of silver alginate to fit into the hole. Push the alginate into the hole. Cover with gauze and medical tape. At first, pulling out the used silver alginate was GROSS. But as time went on, it was cleaner and cleaner.

As I did this routine, every day the hole got a tiny bit smaller. After 4 weeks... totally closed up. About 3 months later.. Couldn't tell I had a hole there.

Not sure if this will work for you. Check with your doctor.

Cplumber,

I know exactly how you feel. I've had 11 surgeries. We spent our time under the knife... Unless it's really "surgery or death" I'm done. I refuse to even consider any further surgery. Even reversal. I'll stick with the bag.

AlexT
Sep 13, 2023 4:30 pm
Reply to Beachboy

I did the silver stuff (actually a few versions) and the Vashe for months. My wound wouldn't close, and they had to get HBO approved for me.

Beachboy
Sep 13, 2023 6:36 pm

I got lucky mine closed up. The hole I had was worse than the ostomy. Thank goodness the sucker closed up.

AlexT
Sep 14, 2023 1:40 pm
Reply to Beachboy

I agree, way worse.

Beachboy
Sep 14, 2023 7:03 pm

Ya know: If it's not one damn thing, it's another. In the hospital, right after surgery: Looking at IV tubes in both arms, PICC line in my shoulder, 2 drains coming out of somewhere, catheter, a WTF stoma, oxygen doohickey on my finger, air bladders on my legs pulsing away, electrical pads all over my body... I thought... What the hell else is gonna happen? Answer: Taking all that crap back off!

Your husband has been through a lot.

IGGIE
Sep 15, 2023 5:31 am
Reply to Cplumber

G'day, Cplumber. Just remember, your stoma is your ass now. Get it fixed.