Swimming and hot tub with colostomy

Replies
Views
Handy

So heading back to Florida after the new year with grandson. Any advice on getting in pools and or hot tubs? I use Hollister products for my wafer and bag. Two pieces 

AlexT

Don’t jump in head first. 🤷‍♂️ enjoy the time. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

As a guy I wear my hernia belt and whats called a surfer’s rash guard shirt never have issues 

Beachboy

Flange seal is water tight.  Water won't hurt your stoma or leak in.  Change to a new bag, then enjoy the water.  

For more active water activities with a stoma,  check out the Neoprene Extreme Stealth Belt. Provides support and protection needed for any water activity. 

Have fun.

Riva

Live in Florida.   Use a wrap from Ostomy  Secrets.   Enjoy yourself and remember to stay hydrated 🍷🍷🍷

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mark1

Hi I  in UK use bullens I have stoma and use closed bags not sure of all the different bags etc all I can say is I shower  and bath my bag is so very water tight and I have no problems I'm sure you wit get some great advice here and your mind will be put to rest  me I'm just taking my time day by day and slowly seing what I can and carnt havent tried swimming pool there is good advice about belt i will remember that if I shower I take my bag off so as I can very gently clean any glue left on skin then ipat dry and replace when done I'm sure others here may be able to help more than me good luck

Downtown

I wear a compression shirt when swimming.   Have fun!!

Happy-but-Newbie
Reply to Riva

What a pity they do not ship outside US :-(

whackjob74

I have a hot tub and use it every day and have zero issues. I always drain before going in but zero issues. I don't use hollister anymore but had no issues swimming with my hollister stuff last summer either. Enjoy!!

rlevineia
Reply to Beachboy

Love my stealth belts.  Got 3.  Each has a different application.  Waiting to try a hot tub.  Any tips?

Sonshyne58CO
Reply to Riva

I use a maternity band. Works great! I get them on Amazon

yanceydelrio

I’ve been in many a hot tub with my one piece Holister bag and I’ve never had any trouble. I’ve had my colostomy almost 25 years and never had a problem getting into all kinds of water. 

Past Member

I am glad to see this topic 

One of my big fears pre op was how to stay in the water . It's  my favourite exercise and at the time my 3 kids were still quite young. I have happy memories of my father teaching me how to swim and I wanted to teach mine too so we could share the memory. 

I was terrified and humiliated and felt shame entering the pool for the first time post op. I cried like a baby entering the water. In fact ,I'm welling up at the thought of it even though it was a long time ago .. 

I'm so glad I did but it wasn't easy. I had to wait until I felt ok about it. Now I swim any time I want . It's a bit more hassle but I can still jump off the piece with my kids and the happy ending is I managed to teach them how to jump off the pier too

I still long for the idea of stoma free fresh air on my belly but I'll take what I have . It's better to swim with a stoma than not swim at all

Riva
Reply to Anonymous

It just goes to show we cannot let having a stoma define whom we are. 🌈