Ileostomy and the best flexible wafer

Replies
Views
PatriciaSz

I have an odd shaped stoma opening due to a stoma fistula and that coupled with liquidy output I'm getting leaks. I'm wondering if it's because my belly takes on a different shape when sitting and possibly loosens the wafer around the stoma.  I'm using Sensura mio now and overall like it. Any thoughts?

warrior

hi. are u saying there is a fistual along side of your stoma? 

i use the mio. too.great appliance 

what  o ring are u using? are u applying to your skin first or the mounting plate?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,601 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jayne

PATRICIA,

Probably yes to sitting and shape - I have found in the past that an oval wafer can help - it "pull" is subtlely different from the round wafers.

BW

Jayne

w30bob

Hi Pat,

Before I got my stoma revised I used the Mio.  Liquid output and barrier/ring sealing polymers don't play well together to begin with.  Having a fistula just complicates things further.  Where does the fistula exit?  Is it under the barrier or beyond it?  I didn't like the hardness of the Mio's plastic base, but it was mostly in my head, as once I started wearing them they worked just fine.  But the most flexible of what I've tried are the Hollister barriers.  Where the Mio is a big plastic oval the Hollister is almost all flexible bandage.  My skin isn't crazy about the Hollister adhesive, but that's just me.  You also didn't mention how far your stoma protrudes from your skin.  That makes a HUGE difference when it comes to liquid output.  

;O)

PatriciaSz

My stoma protrudes about an inch. The fistula is a small v shape in the skin just beside my stoma.  The fistula is skin level. So I have cut an oval shape with a v notch. So far, crusting the weepy red skin around the stoma; then applying barrier spray; putting paste around the inside of the wafer and putting it on. I'm now using a hair dryer to try to get a good seal.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior

patricia, there is only one other member i know that has same issue. a fistula near stoma.

would you like to look her up?

you two can exchange trade secrets😊

ron in mich

Hi Patricia have you tried using a barrier ring instead of paste, you can stretch and shape the rings as you need, i use an eakin seal/ring but there are other rings by hollister and colplast.

PatriciaSz
Reply to warrior

I haven't tried a ring.  If I did, I'd have to put it on the back of my plate since they get so sticky and my opening is not round; it has a v notch in the fistula side.

PatriciaSz
Reply to warrior

Sure!

warrior
Reply to PatriciaSz

littletink81 

w30bob
Reply to PatriciaSz

Hi Pat,

An inch is great.  Ahh.......you didn't mention the weepy red skin part.  That changes things.  You need to address that first, or you're fighting a losing battle.  You need to get some Domeboro powder at your local drug store or big-box retailer with a Pharmacy.  Their website (Domeboro.com) always has a $4 coupon that you can print out and take with you........or maybe it's scanable with your phone.....not sure.  It comes in packets, so just mix one with warm water (1/4 cup) and soak some paper towel sheets (I cut each sheet into 4 smaller squares) in it while you remove your barrier and get the area clean.  Then apply each square around your stoma, making sure it stays wet the entire 15 minutes.  Grab a book or watch cartoons or something for 15 minutes and then remove and wipe off with clear water on another paper towel.  You can shorten that 15 minutes as you start to get it under control.  Make sure everything is really really dry........and apply your barrier.  My red weepy skin was really bad, so I changed by barrier every day for a time, mainly to let the Domeboro do it's thing, but don't go beyond 2 or 3 days starting out, and then once the skin gets normal you can extend that chane time.    

;O)

PatriciaSz
Reply to w30bob

I just got some Marathon. 🤞🏻🤞🏻 But thanks for the advice for the other product.