Hey

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

Sorry I haven't been around much for the last several days. I was in the hospital with a small bowel blockage, which given small bowel is all I have left it was pretty miserable. I was so sick when I went to the ER that I was dehydrated to the point of stage 3 kidney disease according to the doctor. I have stage 2 kidney disease so hearing that I was at the point of stage 3 kind of scared me. They had to put in an NG tube and drain my guts. That was the most unpleasant experience. They kept trying to force the tube and pulling it back out all blood covered. I know gross. I have had an NG tube once before and I don't remember it going that badly that time. I think maybe these nurses were not very experienced. When I got to the ER and they said I would have to be admitted there were no beds in the hospital so I had to spend the night in the ER then was admitted the next day. It was so very boring in there and I was so miserable I just wanted to go home. They did CT and Xrays and blood work every day. I am hard to get a needle in so it was not fun being a pin cushion.  They ended up once they got an IV in me keeping that one in the whole time I was there. I was on constant IV fluids the whole stay right up until hours before I was released. Fortunately the blockage cleared on it's own and I didn't need surgery. It was kind of a scary week. This was my first blockage so everything was all new to me. I was starving too as I was NPO (nothing by mouth) for several days. I lost 6 pounds! I am still sort of weak. I went to the gym today but only did 8 miles on the bike. I was about to fall off after that. My usual is 15 miles. Anyway, that is where I have been. They gave me a bunch of reading on blockages and it says that hernia's are a cause of blockages, I have 3 hernias so I just hope this doesn't become a regular thing. I am having my gp pre-op appointment today for the surgery to remove my gallbladder. That is set to be done on Feb. 23. All going well at the doctor this morning. I tell you one thing, I am tired of digestive issues. I had none before I got Covid and had my ileostomy. In the last 3 months I have been in the hospital twice. I am sick of hospitals. Also not a fan of ER waiting rooms full of sick people, who are cranky as all. 

Lee

Past Member

My heart goes out to you Lee regarding this recent blockage, I have had quite a few  it is not a piece of cake that's for sure. Hopefully you won't get any more of those.

The nasal tube insertion to me was like a form of Chinese torture, I shudder just thinking about that the last times I had that, but of course it certainly is well needed when so unwell. 

Hopefully all will go well for your next planned surgery due soon. My mum had that when she was about 40 years old. She was told she can't eat this that and the other, (mainly fat content) but she tried everything in small portions over time and she was fine. Hope all goes like that for you. 

You must be a tough cookie though going on a bike at the gym doing 8 miles so soon after your discharge. It took me several weeks to even get my breath back from my last blockage. 

Take care and rest when you can. x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi IF,

Wow, you're sure being put thru the ringer, eh?  I can relate to the ER debockle.....I had to take my Dad to the ER at Hackensack Hospital a couple two weeks ago due to some enlarged prostate issues.  It's a large hospital just outside of NYC in NJ and the place was friggin' packed wall to wall with sick people who didn't speak English.  Most didn't need emergency care, but didn't have health insurance so figured they'd just hit the ER.  This country is so f*&ked up right now........and getting worse by the day!  Add to that a shortage of doctors and nurses to care for all these chuckleheads and it's a friggin' disaster.  My Dad hasn't been to a hospital in something like 50 years, so it was like Archie Bunker meets RuPaul with all the nutjobs in there.  When we finally got a room (or should I say a stall) in the ER he was quite surprised (I'm being nice) when his 'doctor' was a woman!  He was about to make a scene when I told him it was ok, that these days even GIRLS can be doctors!!!  I'm pretty sure she was smiling as she rammed that catheter up his prick..........but it got the job done.  

I won't even get started on the whole COVID fiasco, but I hope they get you straight ASAP and keep you out of those nuthouse hospitals in the future.  Not having a gallbladder can bring on challenges of its own, but we can cross that bridge later if we come to it.  Just be aware of the side effects associated with gallbladder removal and watch for them.  Some can be serious in the short term...........other in the long term.  You know we're all pullin' for ya..........so keep us abreast of what's happening!!

;O)

TerryLT

Oh Lee,  You have my sympathies.  I read your post and it took me right back to my worst blockage, first night in the ER, then several days of Hell.  They kept trying to get that f*^@king NG tube down me until they finally had success.  This would be a good torture for the military to have in their tool box for use on POWs!  They didn't feed me for nine days!  I don't know how much weight I lost, but I was basically a skeleton when I came out and had no strength whatsoever.  I remember when they finally sent me home, I tried to take a step up onto the porch of my house, and my leg just collapsed under me.  My husband caught me or I would have been on the ground.  I never wanted to see a hospital again either.  Unfortunately I didn't get my wish, but since then things have improved greatly and I hope they do for you too.  You have been through a lot and deserve a break.  Stay strong.  I'm rooting for you.  I just read your post on diet, and you really have a lot on your plate, no pun intended!  I hope you can sort that out with those dieticians figuring out what will work for both situations. 

Terry

infinitycastle52777
Reply to w30bob

That sounds awful. I wouldn't want to try going to an ER near a large city. It was bad enough here in our twin cities. I didn't really appreciate spending the night in the ER because there were no rooms in the hospital. They put me in a room with no tv, so there was nothing to do but be miserable and be focused on my misery. One of my biggest issues was they stopped ALL of my medications for 3 days. And I take a lot of medications. I didn't really like that because I know they could have given me some through the IV. 

I don't really know about the complications of having my gallbladder out. Can you tell me some about that??? I'd appreciate any insights. 

Lee

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
infinitycastle52777
Reply to Anonymous

I am finding that I feel weak more so since going to the hospital. I did 9 miles today but then I really did have to get off the bike I was getting woozy. It frustrates me because before the blockage I was doing 13 to 15 miles on the bike every day of the week. I just feel like crawling into bed and staying there like all day. I didn't expect this to come from the blockage and dehydration episode. I just wish I didn't feel this way.

Lee

Itsme58

Prayers and healing thoughts for you Lee, you’ve been through a lot, glad you dropped in and gave use all an update, missed you, take care hugs, Linda

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Itsme58

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. I can use all of those I can get. Since I have been home from the hospital things have been going good so far. The only thing I don't like is that I feel weak all the time. I keep pushing myself at the gym, today I did 12.2 miles on the bike and I felt like if I did more I would fall off the bike. Before the blockage I was doing 15 miles on the bike a day, so I feel like I am failing or something. I know like I should just give it some time, but I have been out of the hospital for several days now. When am I going to feel all better?

Lee