My Stoma's Journey: From Igor to Helen

Replies
Views
cjotl2019
Mar 20, 2024 4:22 pm

When I originally got my stoma, I named it Igor. Then, when I got permanent ileostomy surgery, I gave it a sex change and called it Helen. Because of Mount Saint Helen, it erupted like it, so it got a deserving name. I just find it funny that I tell it like that.

kittybou
Mar 20, 2024 6:35 pm

Love it! I remember when Mt. St. Helens blew. What a mess!

Powdered glass ash everywhere!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

TerryLT
Mar 20, 2024 9:05 pm

Yes, Helen seems like a good name! Also, I've always found it odd that a female would give her stoma a male name anyway! Mine is Rosie, as I had a doctor at the hospital where I had my surgery tell me I had a "nice rosebud"!

Terry

merman1974
Mar 25, 2024 3:03 pm

My first temporary stoma was named Xenomorph, after the "chestburster" in Alien.

My second is called Sequel.

They don't really have a gender, although I do tell "him" off.

LoveIsACountry
Mar 26, 2024 5:01 am

😆 Love it!

Mine is Mike.

I got it like 11 years ago, and the TV show "Dirty Jobs" was popular. I named it after the host, Mike Rowe. He was always in the grossest, dirtiest situations (often covered in poo) but he ALWAYS had a good attitude and found a way to laugh through the shit. I am so inspired by him!

But "Helen" is brilliant!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Mommad
Mar 26, 2024 3:05 pm

Love your sense of humor!

julieostomy
Mar 29, 2024 11:53 pm

Haha! Mine is named Charlie after Charlie from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's a gender-neutral name these days, but he's definitely a man.

HenryM
May 16, 2024 5:12 pm

Giving your stoma a sex change operation has to be the most bizarre and wonderful thing I've seen on this site.  I've had my ostomy since 1964 and have never named my stoma.  It prefers anonymity.   

Sally2022
Jun 07, 2024 9:53 pm

I named my stoma Sally, as in Mustang Sally, because the first night post-op, she was backfiring and woke the whole ward 🤦🏻‍♀️