Methotrexate vs. Azathioprine for Crohn's

In this discussion
Replies
Views
LogicalLogan
Hi everyone,

I just came from my first doctor's appointment since getting my ileostomy reversed in December! Everything seems o be going well, but the doc would like to start me on some medication. He told me to check out Methotrexate and/or Azathioprine.

Do any of my fellow ostomates have any experience with either (or both) of these drugs? Which would you recommend? From what I've read so far, Methotrexate isn't great for the liver and Azathioprine is considered a cancer-causing agent. (why must there always be such a trade off...haha)

Any advice would be greatly welcomed by me! Enjoy your day
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bag_n_drag
LogicalLogan- I have taken both of these medications for lupus in the past....I don't have Crohn's, but both Imuran and Methotrexate are used in a similar vein. I was prescribed both of these meds at various stages of inflammation in a lupus flare.

Methotrexate proved less effective for me; and made me anemic. Imuran did provide some inflammatory relief; and so far no evidence of any cancers in the short term (5 years out). I know what you mean about trade-offs.....you wonder about what you're taking now and what it's going to do to you later. Risk -vs- relief.

Lupus vasculitis killed my entire large intestine back in Dec. 2010; so I have no large intestine left. I am scheduled for an ileostomy reversal on Feb. 1. I'm so happy to hear that your reversal process went well! Reports like yours give us "candidates" hope and perspective. Best wishes for your continued healing and Crohn's management.

Darla
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Gus
Just be careful with Azothioprine or as its generically known "Imuran". it makes you sun sensitive so you need to cover up out doors. When I was on it I found i as getting these little spots come up that would itch like crazy yet if I scratched the top off they were dry with no real bleeding. I think its a nasty drug that can make you susceptible to skin cancer but don't take my word for it. Research both drugs, see whats good for you but if you feel you are healthy and can maintain it, don't take anything until necessary. Too many drugs with nasty side affects.
LogicalLogan
Thanks for the input Gus and Darla.

It seems like Methotrexate is a little less popular. Very interesting point about being bothered by sun while on Imuran. I play a lot of golf in the summer, and spend a lot of time indoors, so that could be a problem for me.

My doctor told me that the current trend in Crohn's management is to try to keep the disease in remission rather than wait until a flare up is suffered. I'd hate to go on a drug if I don't have to, but waiting for things to get worse doesn't seem proactive enough either. (there's that rotten old trade off again!)

Darla, best of luck with your reversal in Feb! I was pretty sore for the 2 weeks following the surgery, so make sure you don't leave the hospital without a good pain management plan. You may as well be comfortable for your recovery. Don't rush things, take it slow, and you will do great! I'm 7 weeks out of surgery, and I'm back to the gym, playing ice hockey, and a bit of yoga! You'll be doing what you love in no time flat.
LogicalLogan
Oops...I mean that I spend a lot of time OUTDOORS in the summer. I should learn to proofread...

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister