Ileostomy and Whey Protein Shake: Experiences?

Replies
Views
rosebud621
Jul 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Has anyone with an ileostomy tried whey in a shake for protein?

mooza
Jul 10, 2012 4:53 am

Um, no sorry Rosebudd. I thought instead of looking, I could at least reply. But while I'm here, what is it? Does it have good stuff in it? Or try salmon steaks. I think that's got protein. But really, no, I have no idea. Oops, bananas? Sorry, I was not one bit of help here. Sorry about that. xx MOOZA

Hope it's not called when - like when does this work!! Hope it helps you out, darls. xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

megalyman
Jul 14, 2012 3:12 pm

I have had my file for 4 years and for the last several years I have drunk at least 1 whey shake a day without ever a problem. I use 1 cup of 2% milk and however many scoops of powder it calls for. Put it in a blender and drink. You can stir it to make fewer bubbles but that takes a bit longer.

nskeeter99
Jul 14, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm like Megalyman. I've had mine for 4 years today. No issues with any of these powders.

butterfly48
Jul 15, 2012 1:18 am

I just started the shakes, but I use water instead of milk. I also use flax seed, chia seed,
l-carnitine, hemp powder, banana, etc. Anyways, I have lost 40 lbs and I feel so much better. I also take B-12 shots or B-12 pills plus a bunch of vitamins. I take aloe vera in my shakes and put peanut butter in it too. That's what I eat for breakfast and sometimes for dinner. When I eat a lot of food, I have so many problems that I have to take a morphine pill to slow down the flow. I have had an ileo for 1 1/2 years. My shake has whey in it with a whole bunch of amino acids. It is called Dymatized Elite Gourmet. It has no sugar in it and tastes really good. - Butterfly 48

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
guitarcollector
Jul 17, 2012 12:48 pm

I drink one almost daily. I use Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrobuilder. I mix it with 4oz water and 8oz orange juice and add 1 cup frozen mixed fruit. I drink it after my morning workout. Great way to start the day. I've had my ileostomy since 1971 (I was 17) and even competed in a bodybuilding contest in 2006 at 50 years old. Go for it!