Gracilis Muscle for Rectovaginal Fistula Repair

In this discussion
Replies
Views
victoria
Hello.

I have had 10 operations to correct a fistula with no success!!!!
The next stage is to use the "GRACILIS MUSCLE" for the repair.

I am interested to know if anybody has had this procedure and could offer me any advice with such an operation!!??

I am interested to know success rates, recovery period, risks, length of operation time and time needed in hospital, etc.

Is there anybody out there that could help me please??

Many thanks

Emma.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

yaya
Hi Emma... Glad to be able to share some of my experiences with you regarding fistulas. I have been fighting an anal/vaginal fistula since I had the reversal done in 2011... I have been in and out of the OR with the surgeon trying different methods to close the fistula. Plugs haven't worked. The last surgery I had was in January of this year. I was in the hospital for 11 days. They used part of my skin/muscle to close the opening. They brought the small intestine out front (from the internal pouch) and I am now back on the bag. I'm not sure that the fistula is fixed but I can tell you that I am not going to have a reversal of the reversal of the reversal dropped down again. I think that because I was so sick my "innards just ain't what they used to be" and my age contributes a lot to that as well. The doc mentioned he can go back in and try putting in another plug... I'm just tired of being in the hospital and am just going to let things be for a while. Because there is no activity in the South Pole (so to speak) there isn't much going on in the North Pole except some leakage... I can accept the leakage more than I can the poo leakage... My heart goes out to you. I know what you are going through... Does wearing a tampon help? I had to for a long time until this final operation... it seemed more livable *is there such a word?* Anyway... don't get your dauber down and know that a fistula isn't any fun... but, it's a result of what you have gone through... look at it as a victory wound from a battle well fought!!!! xoxoxo Jody
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate