Ya think?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
iMacG5
Someone said the following:  What we think we are we are not.  What we think, we are.

Any thoughts?

Mike
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
I think not.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill
Great quote! - I agree almost entirely.  However, the sum of what we are is surely not just what we think but what we do, what we experience and how we fit into our environment.

Best wishes

Bill
iMacG5
Hey Sot, that can't be because I know you're not NOT.

Mike
iMacG5
Hey Bill, you're probably 100% correct but it's way too complicated for me.

Thanks,

Mike

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Primeboy
Prospero said the following: We are such stuff as dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep.

Somnio, ergo sum.

-zzzzzzzzz-
PB
iMacG5
Thanks PB.  I had 4 years of Latin about 55 years ago so, having no idea of what your expression translated to, I Googled it.  Now I'm more confused and will ask further.

Are we what we do or do we do what we are?  Latin answers will be submitted to Fr. Ignatius.

With appreciation,

Mike
vulcanBMk2
I dont really care !! Life's too short to stuff a Mushroom . The past is another place , they do things differently there .
Primeboy

Mike,
No need for confusion. Let me explain. quot;-zzzzzzzzz- quot; is an expression for the sometimes gentle, sometimes harsh sounds produced by restricted air movement involving the uvula and soft palate (which we frequently heard in Fr. Ignatius' Latin class when he discussed Cicero's Orations).

nbsp; nbsp; PB
Mrs.A
Sounds to me like that someone needs to explain themselves. If what we think, we are then how can what we think we are we are not?

Well, I know I am not what I eat at least!
iMacG5
It's starting to make sense.  Vulcan's mushroom stuffing is what Prospero was dreaming about. And Mrs.A you're right except I think a comma might change things a lot.  I'm just not sure where to put it.  I'm getting to think that thinking should only be done when absolutely necessary and dreaming is way more important.  If we are identified by what we do then when someone is referred to as a "nice guy" does that mean he/she does nice things? Maybe his/her thoughts weren't nice at all but, you know, laws, peer pressure, please the spouse, etc. might influence actions not at all associated with thoughts.  If we do good things without thinking then we must be good.  That's not me.  I always think and if my thoughts are of good things that take a lot of energy, I think about something else.  Thanks all for thinking about this at all.

BTW I'm pretty sure Cicero was an ostomate. Or was that Ulysses.  Someone was called a bag of wind.

Thoughtfully,

Mike
Primeboy
Mike, I am waiting for Xerxes to chime in on this one. BTW, that someone you allude to as a bag of wind could actually have been Mario Cuomo, former governor of Xerxes' home state, New York. Mario is an exceptional orator highly educated in the classical traditions and whose professional motto still inspires many politicians, and even some of us ostomates, today: "If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, well baffle them with your bullshit."
PB
vulcanBMk2
Dont forget ..." If you can't fight -wear a big hat "
jerseyrobert
Hi Mike. i know some people that think that their greart people when nothing could be further from the truth. I know one lady who thinks her life is so hard and she feels that she has way to much to do but she's the laziest thing i ever knew. then on the other hand there are people who are so sweet and kind but think that they're a wast of space. I agree with you quote buddy
iMacG5
Hi Rob and thanks for the reply.  We Jersey guys need to tell those sweet kind folks how much we appreciate them and how much the rest of the planet needs them.

Mike
renemoon51
I really like vulcan's answer. The so obvious is "the past is another place and they do things differently there."I hope I can remember it long enough to use it in a conversation.It could cover a multitude of sins.

In response to someone else's problem,I have never had to deal with a pancake situation since I started putting a few drops of generic baby oil in my bag each time I empty it.It is normally so much easier to clean it out. Another word of caution when visiting someone. i only know because I have a foot in both worlds. Please check before you spray an aerosol deodorant in someone's bathroom. I have COPD and an ileostomy I try very hard to use all natural deodorizer.Vinegar is a favorite.
iMacG5
PB got me thinking and that's not always good.  Suppose it's all been a dream.  Suppose the last so many years didn't happen yet.  I imagined waking up in the morning to Mom's voice reminding me not to be late for school.  It's 1956.  I tell Mom about the long, stupid dream about graduating from high school, Jr. college, working, getting married and having kids and then, having this bag hanging from my belly.  Mom says it's not good to eat before going to bed. Wow, what a dream!

Ya think?

Mike
gutenberg
Good post Mike, just got to thinking if we could only look into our past and see a movie of our lives what would we change for the better. This is brought to mind by looking at a picture of what looked like a field of stars, but no, each star shape was a complete Galaxy at a distance of 13 billion light years away and some of those galaxies no longer exist or have been incorporated into other galaxies, or in our case a huge star went supernova and was kind enough to give us our planets, so in other words a star had to die for us to survive on this planet. And the moral of this story, if you want to be a star get ready to blow yourself to kingdom come for others to live, preferably in peace and harmony. And I also like the words of Mario Coumo, can't you tell. Ed
Primeboy

Mike, if I can allude to Shakespeare for a slight change of pace, you have had a most rare vision: a dream past the wit of man to expound. It should be called Bottom's dream because it hath no bottom (MSND).
nbsp; nbsp; PB
iMacG5
Hey PB & Gute, your suggestions were light years apart but equally appropriate I think.  I only “think” they're appropriate because I'm not sure I fully understand. For starters Gute, I wondered if the Galaxy you mentioned was in this universe or one of the others. Then, PB,  I wonder if a bottom by another name is still a bottom. I could ask an atom but they make up everything so I can't trust their answer.  Now I know I'm losing it so I better just offer my thanks and hope there's some sanity to be found tomorrow.

Thanks guys,

Mike
Xerxes
Such a wonderful Midsummer Night's dream to have PB

X_
gutenberg
Hi Mike, I was only showing off with the Galactic bit, but just for a quick run down, our own galaxy, The Milky Way is rather small in comparison, only 20 thousand light years across, still quite a distance but the cluster of galaxies I was refering to are around 12.5 billion light years away and actually what we see in the pictures took 12.5 billion years to get to us, therefore what we see is the past and what it looked like that long ago and as they have gone through a lot of changes in those times is something we'll never know, unless we can hang around for another 12.5 plus billion years as these suckers are moving away from us at incredible speeds. I just listened to a theoretical physicist who claimed all galaxies are moving away from us and in the future we will left alone in the universe and we then will be the center of the universe, sound familiar? Also just think if we could see Columbus landing in the west Indies and hearing a voice saying "hey mon, git that flag the hell of my lawn". Have a good day, Ed
Xerxes
And those who live in glass houses should have long curtains.

X_
Xerxes
PB, see what I had to put up with here in NY and now we have the son; "Full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

X_
gutenberg
Hi X, and one should have a really big strong umbrella, maybe fibreglass!!!!
Xerxes
Hi Gute,

I did not think of that.

X_
iMacG5
So, if what we think, we are, then we are thinkers, jokesters, philosophers, students of literature, somniatoris,(or somniatorum), astronomers, grammarians, political analysts and caring and sharing folks among other good things, who happen to be ostomates. That's something to think about.

Mike

gutenberg
I'm wounded, jokers came in second, Ed I think . . . . . .
Primeboy

What's past is prologue, Ed, as Xerxes just confirmed. New York voters should certainly have known that the apple does not fall far from the tree. And Mike, good luck in finding some sanity tomorrow. Based on this thread, you'll have more success looking for it yesterday.
nbsp; nbsp; PB
Xerxes
Yes, IMacG5. It is kind of like the dyslexic insomniac philosopher who stays up all night contemplating the meaning of doG.

X_