Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Ya think?

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:12 pm
This is a great community. Consider joining.
Hi X, how well I remember using those lines and the only people to "get it" would be family members, we were all a bunch of jokers and evem my dad would drop some lines on us and wait to see how long it would take us to get it, Ed
These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:41 pm
Wow!  I can't even begin to tell you folks how much you've helped me understand it all.  Now I just can't wait 'till the past so I can start what I already finished incorrectly the next time.
Thank you,
Mike
Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 pm

iMacG5 wrote:
  Now I just can't wait 'till the past so I can start what I already finished.    Mike

If we have confused you, Mike, just remember this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning (WC, 1942). Ya think?
   PB

PS: Perhaps we should let this thread pass into oblivion before they throw us out.
Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:53 pm
I totally agree with you PB! Let's put it to rest.
Thanks for the WC note, also.
Mike
Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:58 pm
BULLSHIT BAFFELS BRAINS!!!!!
Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:18 am

lulu1313 wrote:
BULLSHIT BAFFELS BRAINS!!!!!

Are you conjugating or declining, Lulu.
   PB
Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:35 pm
Hi Mike, this has been a really good thread, one that helps us forget for a moment our little misfortunes in life and talk to others with the same maladies, who understand the need for humor in our lives, wishing you a Happy New Year, Ed
Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:02 pm
What a surprise!   Lulu’s philosophical contribution, PB’s grammar suggestion and New Year's  wishes from Ed.  Does it get any better?
Happy 2014 to all.
Mike
Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:50 am

iMacG5 wrote:
What a surprise!   Lulu’s philosophical contribution, PB’s grammar suggestion and New Year's  wishes from Ed.  Does it get any better?
Happy 2014 to all. Mike

Does it get any better? Your thread, which we consigned to oblivion after a long and windy run, is now back and hailed as this website's Topic of the Month. If it doesn't get better, it will at least get a bit longer.
   PB
Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:07 pm
Well who woulda thunk?  IMHO, what makes this stuff interesting or fun or both is not necessarily the topic but all the replies you guys contribute.  I just learned more about pot here than I could ever have imagined.  And WOW, some of you are experts.  I’m almost ashamed to admit I knew so little but the few times I tried the stuff I was too blitzed from beer to know what was happening.  
I’m just so grateful we have each other to share with, to comfort, educate, sometimes tolerate, and certainly empathize with.  Let’s keep it that way, ya think?
Respectfully,
Mike

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:30 pm

iMacG5 wrote:
I just learned more about pot here than I could ever have imagined.

Mike, I remember the first and only time I polished off a whole joint all on my own. Long time ago. As soon as I finished that tiny roach, I reached for one of my Marlboro's and never looked back. All I ever wanted to smoke again were cigarettes (3 packs a day at 45 cents per in those days). Perhaps the reason pot did not appeal to me then, as I am sure some of you know now, is that I only puffed but (cough, cough) never inhaled.  span
   PB
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 pm
Ya think we would do it differently if we had that opportunity? Remember “overs”?  As kids, after we screwed up a foul shot, an outside pitch, or whatever, we would ask to do it over.  Didn’t think about life too much back then.  Life was usually that moment, maybe the next day, the next game or the next dance.  Suppose our thinking back then was like we’re able to think today.  Would we still think, “It won’t happento me”?  I thought cancer was for other folks, not because they deserved it but it had to happen to someone, just not me.  I though by not going to the bathroom when I had to would give me more time for fun stuff. I thought changing to Marlboro Lights would be really good. Washing down the 100 proof Smirnoffs with any kind of beer would keep my system clean, I thought or imagined or begged to believe.  I thought safety gear like respirators, goggles, gloves and all that stuff just got in the way of my welding, spray painting, PVC and surfactant processing and the like.  A colostomy?  Not me, not anyone I know, never!
We were told life is short then we learned it’s not life that’s short; it’s the stages of life that are short.  By the time we learn how to ride our bikes, drive our cars, kiss that first girl, get a job, change a diaper and the rest of the stuff, they’re gone.  Time to move on to the next stage we don’t know anything about.  Hopefully we’ll handle our next challenge successfully.  Hopefully we can teach others how to do those things we struggled with.  I think we’re doing some of that now.  Not necessarily fun things but necessary things.  
Boy, there’s a lot to think about.  Thankfully, we can do that.
You, PB and Bill Clinton had the same experiences but, if I knew you then, I would've voted for you.
Respectfully,
Mike

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:40 pm

iMacG5 wrote:
  Time to move on to the next stage we don’t know anything about.  Hopefully we’ll handle our next challenge successfully.  Hopefully we can teach others how to do those things we struggled with.  I think we’re doing some of that now.  Mike

Mike, Erikson spoke about 8 stages of life or challenges each of us must face. You just described the 7th, i.e., teaching others what we've learned about life, etc.  His final developmental task involves retrospection.  Old farts like us should look back on our lives and accomplishments and develop feelings of contentment. I have a feeling when you do so, you will be at peace.
   PB
Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 pm
Et tu PB?  Absolute!  Thank you,
Mike
Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:19 pm
Fortunately, we can learn from our mistakes and that can be a blessing especially if we can pass on our lessons, on the other hand we sometimes are the recipients of others mistakes and the fact that we survived them is a lesson learned the hard way and there's not much we could have done to make the outcome any different except to not lose complete trust in surgeons, especially the ones who are able to somewhat lessen our predicament and without that bit of trust remaining I know I would not be doing my two finger typing. To be able to help others who are going through the same battles we have endured is a reward in itself, that and trying to inject a bit of humor along the way which I really believe is one of the best ways of easing some of the discomfort our fellow ostimates, a smile or a chuckle can go a long way in breaking up a miserable day I only wish I had a joke or two to add to this reply. So here's wishing you all a good day, Ed
Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:28 pm
Ed,

Well said. It has a bit of a poetic ring to it, similar I think to Puck's final statement in "A Midsummer Night's Dream", often cited in here by PB our resident bard. Be well, Ed.

X_
Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:30 pm

I know we got sidetracked and I'll try to get back to where we started then I'll try to shut up.  When I was diagnosed with CR cancer, then bladder cancer, my thoughts began and ended with the anticipation of discomfort, pain, radiation, chemo and all the other crap that goes with it. Prior to the Dx, I thought I was a pretty strong guy, fearless, resilient, still shooting hoops with the grandkids, and shooting 2 strokes above my age at 67.  I survived a terrible boss who swore he would fire and blackball me and I played 45 holes in one afternoon and evening while wearing a holter monitor. I thought I was lucky and expected to be doing a lot of those things for a long while.  Then the Dx and I couldn't stop thinking about my condition and how my family and I would be affected.  I thought of the long and short-term effects and about the next life, if there is one.  I thought and thought about my afflictions and I became a sick, damaged, ashamed, scared, deteriorating person.  The person I thought I was, I was not.  And that's before the colostomy which, in my thoughts, was not a livable option.
I became a product of my thoughts and nothing like the person I thought I was.  
Five years have passed and with the surgeries and other medical treatments and the kindness, empathy, compassion, wisdom and knowledge from so many of you special folks here, I'm getting to know myself better and become more like the person I want to be.  
BTW, being an ostomate is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.  I will be doing some of those things again.    
With sincere gratitude,
Mike

Last edited by iMacG5 on Sat May 31, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:00 pm
I have just laughed so much at this topic and the responses but the only thing is can add is the words from "if I only had a brain" I just love it and I do live by it for example I will while away the hours just staring at the flowers ... Oh maybe that was the pot! LOL must go I'm feeling a bit like the munchies !!
Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:44 pm
Ah well, cogito ergo sum still pretty much sums it up.
blindsided
Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:29 am

iMacG5 wrote:
IFive years have passed and with the surgeries and other medical treatments and the kindness, empathy, compassion, wisdom and knowledge from so many of you special folks here, I’m getting to know myself better and become more like the person I want to be. BTW, being an ostomate is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.  I will be doing some of those things again. With sincere gratitude Mike

Well said Mike, and worth repeating again today. Whether we are a forum, a club, of even a gaggle, what counts is our results. What else besides a good end can truly justify any means. Let's value contributions from members as gifts and work with them to build a kinder, gentler world. We are better than some of the petty pissing contests I have joined in the past. Let's strengthen the ties that bind us, not the threads that keep us at odds. Ya think?
   PB
Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 am
iMacG5 wrote:
IFive years have passed and with the surgeries and other medical treatments and the kindness, empathy, compassion, wisdom and knowledge from so many of you special folks here, I’m getting to know myself better and become more like the person I want to be.BTW, being an ostomate is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.  I will be doing some of those things again. With sincere gratitude Mike

iMaG5 we all need each other in so many ways. some learn, some, teach, some have a gift for words and can clearly put their thoughts down. for whatever reason we are here i see it primarily to lend an ear and to bear each other up when we stumble.
you just continue to be you, and a valuable member of this forum group (or other word I'm most definitely not in to semantics that aren't worth discussing).
just keep on being your honest self. lorraine
Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:37 pm
I will Lorraine and hope you will do the same.  Thank you.
PB, such wisdom.  Amen.
Sincerely,
Mike
Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:54 pm
Mike...Henry Ford said..." Whether you think you can or not...you are right !!!! It is in my mind a very prophetic  statement in describing how well those of us who deal with the issues on this site overcome the challenges or allow them to consume us.
Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:53 am
Thanks Scotiaman.  Henry, like so many folks here, was a wise man and, like you guys, worth listening to.  We say we should be defined by who were are and not what we do.  I believe we should define ourselves similarly.  I want to think of myself as a decent guy who happens to have a colostomy.  If I think of myself as an ostomate first, then the rest of who I think I am becomes compromised.  I guess we need to think about living life to its fullest and remember to take our supplies with us.
Mike
Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:59 pm
We are all just people who happen to have a bag
The fact that we shit differently don't mean we have to think differently
Our body image may be compromised, but how many of us had a body beautiful before ?
I had a shit life ( literally ) for eight years before surgery
I have had 40 years of near enough normal since
I don't thank God, cos I'm fairly sure he's the one wot gave me it in the first place
Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:07 pm
Bonjour  Monsieur.  You make a couple good points and how great is it you had 40 years of near normal living after eight rotten ones.  The other way around would really suck.  As far as the Big Guy, we’re probably not on the same page.  He’s got so many other things to take care of like the universe(s) and stuff.  Shit happens and He gave us enough smarts to figure out how to survive with some dignity and appreciation for the good stuff.  Mainly we have each other and our loved ones.  Ya' think?
Mike
Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:14 pm
That's certainly the main.
50 years married in May.
Love Life
Love Family
You can face anything with that
Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:40 am
When I was still a pimply faced adolescent I remember reading some of Shakespeare admonitions from Twelfth Night which still resonate in my 70 year old brain. I am sure it had to do with making hay while the sun shines. I'll take the liberty of reminding you that the sun still shines for all of us, regardless of age, as long as we wake up on the right side of the dirt each morning. That said, put these lines of Billy S.  into you pipe and puff on them:
What is love? Tis not hereafter; Present mirth hath present laughter; What's to come is still unsure: In delay there lies no plenty; Then come kiss me, sweet and twenty, Youth's a stuff will not endure. Stated otherwise, don't go gently into that good night. Stay alive every moment that is given you.
Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:32 am

Primeboy wrote:

What is love? Tis not hereafter; Present mirth hath present laughter; What's to come is still unsure: In delay there lies no plenty; Then come kiss me, sweet and twenty, Youth's a stuff will not endure. Stated otherwise, don't go gently into that good night. Stay alive every moment that is given you.

I love that passage, I think Shakespeare is so musical and so profound.  I was so lucky to be at a school that encourage children and adolescents in their passion and I had an English teacher who would discuss they book we were studying then we would go to see a film if one was available, then he would take us to the theatre to see and hear it as it was meant to be, and I fell in love, it was so beautiful it spoke to my heart. He also introduced us to classical music, opera and ballet. What an inspirational man, I wonder how many other young people he influenced and is still fondly remembered. I think his passion was actually contagious.
Thank you for that PB
Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:36 am
Bonjour Monsieur, I am so sorry but you really made me laugh (not at you but with you) you have such a turn of phrase and an honestly I find refreshing
* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.