Reversal and a Gas Problem

Replies
Views
blindsided

I had a reversal of my ileostomy on Dec. 2, 2013. While most things seem to be heading in a "good" direction, I have one problem that has not relented one bit. I have gas, gas to a degree that I think sometimes I'm contributing to climate change. Every day, sometimes early in the morning, it will begin but usually it waits until later in the day, sometime around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. From that time on, it will be there all evening. I take Welchol and Imodium for a problem that is still with me, good old diarrhea, which is not anything like it was when I first came home from the hospital. I use Beano with meals and GasX during the day and night. I do believe I could take a bottle of GasX with no benefit at all. This problem has caused me to give up most social outings with my wife and friends. If I am going to go take care of anything, I try to schedule it early in the day as I am a little safer from gas that I can't control. When you have to fart, sometimes you just fart. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar problem and what you tried and did that may have lessened it or did it just simply quit as time passed. I can eat or not eat. I pay attention to what I eat, but sometimes I just want something, so even knowing the results will probably be diarrhea and gas, I have it regardless. I had new fresh sweetcorn on the cob last night. Sure paid a quick price for that one, but it was so good. Ok, any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, help of any kind will be appreciated.

Thanks

Blindsided

Pinky

You could try activated charcoal (according to the ACG) if Beano or simethicone don't help. Also, I find daily yogurt decreases the smell of whatever is in my colon, and yogurt has no lactose. The ACG says the passage of 15-18 episodes of gas per day is normal! :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.