The Preacher's Son's Surprising Career Choice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
mild_mannered_super_hero

An old country preacher had a teenage son, and it was getting time the boy should give some thought to choosing a profession.

One day, while the boy was away at school, his father decided to try an experiment.

He went into the boy's room and placed on his study table four objects:

1. A Bible

2. A silver dollar

3. A bottle of whiskey

4. A Playboy magazine

"I'll just hide behind the door," the old preacher said to himself. "When he comes home from school today, I'll see which object he picks up."

"If it's the Bible, he's going to be a preacher like me, and what a blessing that would be!

"If he picks up the dollar, he's going to be a businessman and that would be okay, too.

"But if he picks up the bottle, he's going to be a no-good drunken bum, and Lord, what a shame that would be.

"And worst of all, if he picks up that magazine, he's going to be a skirt-chasing womanizer."

The old preacher waited anxiously and soon heard his son's footsteps as he entered the house whistling and headed for his room. The boy tossed his books on the bed, and as he turned to leave the room, he spotted the objects on the table. With curiosity in his eye, he walked over to inspect them.

Finally, he picked up the Bible and placed it under his arm. He picked up the silver dollar and dropped it into his pocket. He uncorked the bottle and took a big drink while he admired the magazine's centerfold.

"Lord have mercy," the old preacher whispered. "He's gonna run for Congress."

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Good one! Perfect timing, too with all the BS going on in politics right now.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Sharla

Haha! That one made me laugh out loud!

Thanks for the giggle today!

mild_mannered_super_hero

Thanks for the replies, so glad you all enjoyed it.

Primeboy

Keep them coming, MMSH. They are great! I have just two questions suggested by this particular tale. (1) Why do we keep re-electing those same bums year after year who do nothing more than dip their beaks into the public trough; and (2) Isn't it time to pass the proposed 28th Amendment which states that "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States." That amendment to the U.S. Constitution would clean out a lot of these rascals and restore some public confidence in our form of government. That said, I can't help but ask one more question. What has Congress done lately for folks with Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis? Huh?

PB

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Primeboy

A number of years ago, one of our members posted a funny joke which provoked pages of replies. These replies, however, had little to do with the content of the joke and much to do with the idea of replying to jokes. The link to that discussion thread is below. I am sharing it with you because it shows how much ostomates have enjoyed a good laugh as well as a good debate. Many of our old friends, some of whom are no longer with us, are right in the middle of the arena.

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3076&postdays=0&postorder=&start=0

Enjoy.

PB

iMacG5

Thanks MMSH and PB for the laughs and the memories.  I believe we are a special group and find myself humbled at times to be considered part of it.  There are some very special people here and it's sometimes easy to forget that mostly we're here to help or be helped with particular situations.  Sometimes the diversions of funny stories or even a polite argument helps us forget our dilemmas for a bit and that's a help.

I think we're a great group and fortunte to have each other.,

Respectfully,

Mike

mild_mannered_super_hero

Wow, I had completely forgotten about that old thread. Is there anyone on here that hasn't had words with "that fellow from Australia" (name withheld to protect the innocent)? Good memories indeed. Bravo Prime for the post.

LadyHope

Very good one! Thanks for sharing, I may pass it along. LOL. LH

mild_mannered_super_hero

Sure thing, enjoy!!