Seeking Insight on Hernia and Stoma Relocation Surgery Experience

In this discussion
Replies
Views
me by the sea

I have had an ileostomy for 35 years. Over the last ten years, I have struggled with a large hernia at the stoma site, and over the last 2 years, multiple hospitalizations for obstructions. I had a hernia repair at the stoma site (for a much smaller hernia) quite some time ago. The last time I was hospitalized, the surgeons and GI folks said if the obstruction occurs again, I should have surgery. They said it would be a major surgery, and my stoma would need to be relocated. Would anyone who has gone through this please give me some insight on your experience? I am 62 years old and work. I have also developed myasthenia gravis, which complicates anesthesia a bit. Please let me know the good and bad of your experience. Thank you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Newstom

How do you know you have a hernia? My stoma looked like it was on a mound, like a heightened pitcher's mound or something. Also, for the first time ever, the stoma looks flatter. This is all new to me. I don't know how to find general topics on this website, just trying to stay afloat.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
GraphX12

Hi Newstom. If you suspect you do have a hernia, make sure to have your doctor check it out.

About a year after my ileostomy surgery I started developing my 1st hernia. It, like yours, looked like a pitcher's mound but it also caused me pain. Eventually my small intestine pushed through the hernia hole and got kinked which blocked everything off. Tremendously painful!!! Had to have emergency surgery to pull everything back in and to fix the hernia. My surgeon told me if I develop another hernia, I would need to have the stoma relocated. Well, I am now on my 2nd hernia and it is MUCH larger than the 1st. I see the doctor next week.

Past Member

Dear me by the sea,

I had to have my stoma moved from left to right. I lost about two weeks. I'm 67 and work 36 hours per week. I'm a guard for an energy company. On a typical day, I get in/out of a 2500 series pick up truck 120-160 times. It is most important to follow the doctor's instructions

about physical activities and exercise. I didn't follow the recuperation regimen as closely as I should have.

Although my stoma has not herniated as before, I do have a small dome on my right side now.

However, everything works well. The key may be to pay a little attention to your diet post-surgery.

I eat everything...potatoes, cauliflower, asparagus, as well as the "dreaded" blueberries, raspberries, etc.

Many ostomates have difficulties with some of these, I do not. Summary: I can say the move went well generally and made caring for the

stoma a lot easier....if there is such a thing. If your health permits it, I would make the move.

Art Lewis

Akron, Ohio

me by the sea

Thank you. That is very reassuring.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

By the sea,

I have also found that by using a product called Hypafix Tape, I have pretty much eliminated leaks. After applying the mounting flange, but before attaching the pouch, place the tape in basically a box-shaped frame over the flange adhesive parts. It gives you an extra layer of

hold on the flange itself. Tape takes up no space and doesn't change the pouch attachment process...FWIW

Art