Anyone have low B12 and low ferritin levels and osteoporosis

In this discussion
Replies
Views
partypooper

I was so tired all the time. Hemoglobin normal, then finally checked ferritin. I was sooooo low.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

rosestone

Beginning of the year, I had been giving myself intramuscular B12 shots prescribed by a doctor for energy. Maybe placebo, but it seemed to help prior to my emergency surgery/colostomy for a ruptured colon on Easter. I was already barely recovering from a major lupus crisis. I have been miserably exhausted since. The hematologist says my iron is low. Last week, I started the first of six weekly iron infusions. The results aren't immediate though. Hoping to start the new year feeling stronger. By the way, I love your username.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I use, in place of B12 shots, a nasal spray prescription called Nascobal. Like you, I had very low iron counts and had to get numerous six-hour iron transfusions. Since using Nascobal, I did not need any further iron transfusions.

Worth a shot (or in this case, a spray)

You can Google it and find out more information.

jingles218

I have Crohn's and have had multiple resections and have a colostomy. Over a long period of time, I have had low ferritin and require iron infusions. This is despite the fact that I have had B12 injections after my 1st surgery when I was 13. I am 48 now.
I discovered I had osteoporosis when I turned over in bed and cracked a vertebrae, fortunately no permanent paralysis caused. I was advised that this was due to either long-term steroid treatment or malabsorption.

Therogersnfla

Yes, I have experienced very low ferritin (I would sleep 20 out of 24 hours with no problem) and had to have several iron infusions. Then, I started a year-long treatment on the belly shots Procrit, and I have not had it recur yet... Thankfully...

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister