Downed Verizon Wires

In this discussion
Replies
Views
NJ Bain

Everyone,

I'd like to share the customer service experience or lack there of with Verizon. First off, I'd like you to know that I'm a former cable technician. And I know the difference between electrical, cable and phone wires. And I apologize in advance for the long post so bear with me.

On July 3rd, 2018, there were 4 Verizon phone wires downed by a storm on my street in Westwood, NJ. I called Westwood PD and they placed some cones temporarily to keep people from running into them with their cars.

I searched online on how to report these downed wires only to find many people have a similar problem. There is NO direct number or any way what so ever to immediately report downed Verizon wires EXCEPT the online chat feature. I chatted with 2 different people and attempted to report the downed wires. The first person did not seem to have a grasp of the English language. They claimed they would send a technician out the next day. 2 days later, I still had wires on the street. I got back on the chat service. The second person I chatted with had a better grasp of the
English language, and promised to have a technician out within 24 hours. The next day, nothing.

On July 7th, 2018, a Verizon truck drove down my street, saw the downed wires, stopped, backed up and drove away, with several of my neighbors as witnesses. An hour later, an Optimum cable technician showed up and started repairing the problem. I went out and spoke with him, explaining that I was a former cable technician and that I knew the lines were Verizon phone and fiber wire. He confirmed it saying that they were absolutely Verizon phone and fiber lines. I'm assuming that Verizon contacted Optimum and told them that it was their wires and their problem. So what I'm about to tell you next is what you need to know about downed wires.

• 1st, never approach, touch, drive over or try to remove the wires yourself as they may be mistaken for power lines or still have a residual charge. Electrical wires are thicker and are the highest wires on the telephone pole. The second highest is the cable lines and the wires closest to the ground are phone wires.

• 2nd, call your local police department and normally they will report it to the appropriate party.

• 3rd, If you know for certain that the wires are Verizon wires, you can report it to your township or city's engineering department and they will contact and possibly fine the responsible party depending on how long it takes them to respond.

• 4th, IMPORTANT--You can attempt to call Verizon customer service or go on the customer service live chat online. If you are able to get someone on the phone (which is highly unlikely) or in chat, be sure that when you report the downed wire, specifically state that there are children playing nearby the wires. Even if its a lie, they HAVE to investigate your claim. No one is going to risk the liability or safety of a child. It's sad to have to resort to such measures, but it will get handled immediately.
This post will probably get removed shortly after I post it but not before at least one person reads it. I will continue to post this on other social media platforms. I encourage EVERY Verizon customer to spread this post around or at least think about how poor the customer service is and the fact that there is NO direct way to contact Verizon about downed wires other than some **bleep** chat line that is probably run by operators outside of the country.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and try to have a better day.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

weewee

bain

thats how they got the slogan "can you hear me now" cause they are in different country and dont speak english

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Sasquatch

Verizon sucks. I had landline phone service with them 5-6 years ago. I constantly had them out repairing lines, the line would get staticy sounding for a few days, then go dead. I probably had them out ;12 times over the course of a couple of years. They always blamed moisture in some box going to the pole. I never did understand why they couldn't get it fixed after so many trips out to work on it.

Past Member

Because it's all very technical, and if we tried to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand. May I put you on hold for just a moment,zzzzzzzzzz!

iMacG5

Thanks for this info, Bain. I’m, a NJ guy, electrician in a former life and experienced in Verizon service or lack of such. I agree with everything you wrote, almost. My one exception was the sentence, “No one is going to risk the liability or safety of a child.” I think it has a lot to do with where that child might’ve come from.  This is the new USA.
Respectfully,
Mike

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
NJ Bain

So true my friend...so true.

Bain