Need help thickening my acidic ostomy liquid!

Replies
Views
Friendly kk

Hi, how do I get my ostomy to thicken up?

cruiseguy

Here is a list of foods that might help you thicken up your ostomy output: Applesauce, Bananas, Bread, Cheese, Oat bran, Oatmeal, Pasta, Smooth Peanut butter, Potatoes, Pretzels, Rice pudding, White Rice, Tapioca, Marshmallows.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,481 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kstyle

My sentiments exactly!

Friendly kk

Thank's to everyone who answered. I have been on Imodium and other medicine for about 6 weeks and nothing has seemed to help.

Bill

Hello friendly kk. I have found that Metamucil is quite good at firming up the liquid output. which is interesting because I think it is designed to soften stools. There are many other such products that are mostly used by elderly people to help with their disgestive systems when they are no longer functioning as they used to.

Best wishes

BillĀ 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Sasquatch

All good advice, I keep applesauce and peanut butter in my daily diet, just for this reason.

Puppyluv56

When I first got my colostomy, I thought I wanted solid stool. My surgeon said that it should eventually return to the consistency it was before surgery. He suggested Imodium until it happened naturally! It never really happened but did thicken up and that caused more problems than it was worth. The thicker stool played pattycake, i.e. pancaking, inside my pouch and that was no fun! It would go under the pouch and push it up and off! Sooo with that being said, I like a liquid output, it causes no problems and empties easily! I will stay where I am with liquid stool and if the solid ever comes naturally, I may work to have it back to liquid! Lol that is unless it is really solid and not just thick!

Puppyluv

Raydog

Hi Ellkay: I use Adapt. It is made by Hollister, and I find it pretty good. It is a liquid that is clear. I use about 1/2 of the packet at a time. I have tried other things, but they eventually eat away at the bottom of the pouch. Quite happy with what I have. Good luck.

Homie With A Stomie NS

There are many foods that can help with that. Apparently, marshmallows are a top hit, but one at a time. LOL