Dates!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ChrisP

No, not that kind! On the website, I mean!

I love the way the site stirs up the pool, bringing old threads to the surface again, but PLEASE will somebody explain the date system to me so I know how old a posting might be? When it says 'Jan 16' for example, does it mean 16th of January this year? Or 16th of January but it could be any year? Or even some date in January in the year 2016?

And while I'm on about dates, please could something show the date we joined the site? How 'new' is 'new' when you are shown a list of 'new' members? A week? Six months? A new member will often include a question in their original profile, but you feel a bit silly offering an answer, only to find they wrote this months ago and have long since moved on!

Just trying to be friendle, but smart as well!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

I see full dates on Forum and Blogs.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
countyclare

Hello Chris,

I wrote to the managers of this site quite a while back about the very issues you are bringing up.

I received a very brief nonsensical response back.

I use to really enjoy this site. I've advised and have received advice from many members on this site.

I don't access the site much any more. It seems that the same few members tend to use this site both to monopolize and to preach.

Have a great day Chris.

Mike

ChrisP

Thank you both for your replies! Mike - surely the answer is for more of us to get on the site and use it? I'm not sure about 'monopolizing and preaching', but I have seen a narrowing of the site in some ways. I guess it's a balancing act: is it a site 'about ostomies', or a site about 'life, as viewed by a varied bunch of people who happen to have ostomies'? I'd like to think that it is the latter, which doesn't exclude the former for those, maybe new to the experience or with particular difficulties, who need advice, encouragement and reassurance. But I guess to keep the wider 'life' perspective requires the rest of us to use it in this way. I'm as guilty as any of looking at the site, seeing nothing 'interesting' (to me!), and drifting somewhere else to chat. (Chat - ha, now there's a topic of its own: the General Chat facility here is quieter than a Quaker Graveyard. I'm going to renew a resolution to drop into the silent room and say hi if I am passing by with time to spare, and see if anybody else does the same. I'm a Vicar - I'll talk to anybody.....)

As for dates... weird, Xnine: I'm seeing proper dates too now, but I didn't this morning when I posted. How weird is that? Personally I blame Brexit, or the heat...... But I stand by the comment about maybe profiles showing date of joining: other websites do it, and I think it could be helpful here.

Thanks again, Chris

xnine

Yes that should be an easy add. What other sites do you use?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
ChrisP

Hi Jennie, I live in Normandy, France, at the farthest point south, close to the top of the Loire Valley: the tiny stream in my garden eventually flows into the River Loire, and finally into the Bay of Biscay!