Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

STOP signs at parking lot exits

Posted by iMacG5, on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:50 pm

I just read that we don’t have to stop when leaving the parking lot at the super market. Those signs are not enforceable by the local police. The real, enforceable signs have a tag on the back verifying they issued by to governing authority and violators will be ticketed, fined or punished in some other manner. So from now on, when we encounter a STOP sign and we’re exiting the Home Depot or the Acme lot we should pull over, get out of our vehicle, walk over to look at the back of that sign to see if there’s an official label from the municipality. Then we’ll know if we should, in fact, stop. This eliminates all doubt and might make for a safer trip.
No need to thank me for this advice. Just trying to make life easier for all.
Mike

Reply by Bill, on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Hello Mike.

I do like your sense of humour even if we don't have stop signs here in the uk. I like to smile once in while.

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by iMacG5, on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi Bill.  Thanks for sharing your smile. I know you're lots of miles away physically but I feel like our spirits are much closer.  I'll continue learning from you and hopefully create more reasons for you to smile.

Sincerely,

Mike

Reply by Morning glory , on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi Mike ,This is funny

Reply by Songbird16, on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:22 pm

Hi 

I went to buy groceries today and upon entering the Fred Meyer parking lot I checked to see a "tag" on the back of the STOP sign and thought of you!  Your  post is funny! Smile

Last edited by Songbird16 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply by w30bob, on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi Mike,

You're right about cops not being able to enforce stop sign violations on private property..........but if you get into an accident by not stopping you will be found "at fault" by your insurance company, and in states that don't have "no fault insurance" your rates will go up (or you could get dropped if it's not your only accident).  Also, folks shouldn't get the idea that cops can't enforce any driving rules on private property.  It varies by state, but in most they can bust you for things like impaired, reckless or negligent driving, if you hit or kill someone with your car or leave the scene of an accident. Just sayin'.

Regards,

Bob

Reply by iMacG5, on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:05 am

Hey Bill, it's not that your mini-rhyme wasn't obvious, it's just that I was oblivious.  But you can't deny that I gave it a try.

Respectfully,

Mike

Reply by Bill, on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 am

Mike. Hello --  you gave it a go. And, once a rhyme's created it can be appreciated.

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by iMacG5, on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Hey Songbird and Morning glory, glad you could get a chuckle.  

Now, Bob, please don't think I was even remotely serious.  Actually I was attempting to express blatant stupidity humorously but thanks for the MV refresher.  I'm from New Jersey where the rules are often different from those of the rest of the world.

Mike

Reply by iMacG5, on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi again, Bill.  I'm over the hill but to appreciate can be to celebrate.

Stay well,

Mike

Reply by lovely, on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:54 pm
Bill wrote:

Hello Mike.

I do like your sense of humour even if we don't have stop signs here in the uk. I like to smile once in while.

Best wishes

Bill

Are you talking about no stop signs in parking lots?

Reply by w30bob, on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm from New Jersey too (Exit 16W or 153B)........so I hear ya.........and can relate!

later,

bob 

Reply by Bill, on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:22 am
lovely wrote:
Bill wrote:

Hello Mike.

Best wishes

Bill

Are you talking about no stop signs in parking lots?

Yes! I did mean stop signs at the exits to parking lots. Sorry I did not make myself clear.  However, it would not surprise me to see 'stop' signs, or even 'do not stop' signs appear within the parking zones as the people who think these thngs up seem to have that sort of humour (or they don't understand the irony of what it is they are saying)

Best wishes

Bill  

Reply by chet8625, on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:21 am

I believe in Massachusetts the law is that if you are leaving private property and crossing a sidewalk you MUST stop before crossing the sidewalk. I believe the reason for this being law is because they cannot force a property owner to install stop signs.

Reply by iMacG5, on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:59 pm

Hey folks, I need to apologize.  I posted this thing in an attempt to be funny; maybe just silly.  Here's the thing.  The whole idea is about the inconvenience created by a STOP sign.  Who wants to stop when there's absolutely no reason.  We're leaving the market and want to get home before the 3 gallons of ice cream melts.  So, using the time and motion engineering experience I graduated from, I suggested we pull over, stop the vehicle, leave it and walk without getting hit by someone who just bought 5 gallons of ice cream, find something to stand on to see if there's an authentic label on the back of the sign and attempt to read if it's legitimate.  Then, carefully getting down from our perch, look both ways, twice, and go back to the vehicle we left standing on the side of the parking lot if it's still there.  Now, if there's any solid ice cream left in our vehicle that wasn't driven off by whomever wanted to drive it off, we might consider driving at excessive speed to get home while saving the remaining.  

Get where I'm coming from?

Mike

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.