Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

Skin and hair

Posted by Grumpyman, on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:25 am

Hello you fellow friends or otherwise of the stoma 

Can anyone tell me if there are any diet regimes , specific foods or supplements that can help restore some 'plumbing' of the skin ? My ileo  just had four monthly birthday and during the time I've left hospital , amongst incision infections and bag bursts (why is it high % of accidents either in bed , especially in middle of much missed physical contact and all the issues with self confidence to attempt sex then that Tucker decides to remove that pleasure as well!),my skin has gone paper thin lost nearly all elasticity , end up like bloodhound , and my hair has gone from grey and strong to this odd blue whippet colour and is all thin and whispy , or like it's likely to blow off in the wind . I know it's pure vanity but each small issue with appearance , stature , pain management of have a derogatory effect on self esteem if you just accept all of it without kicking back and have a good to at fighting whatever's hit you .

anyway finished my rant , if anyone has any suggestions or advice I would be grateful , my surgical and after care teams have told me it is normal and I just have to hope it doesn't get worse and never recover! ,which deflated me somewhat .

Graham

Reply by Bill, on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:12 am

Hello Graham. 

Excuse the pun, but the early days/months of having a stoma can be a reall 'bummer'. However, if it is any consolation,for many people it does get better after a while and those who make the most progress fastest seem to be the ones who try to retain a positive outlook. It feels good to have a rant and I would encourage you to do this as often as you feel the need. If nothing else, it helps us all realise that we are not alone on this uninvited journey.

As for diets and stuff I will leave it to others to enlighten you on what they think is appropriate. For myself, I just experimented with all the foods that I have always liked and those that had an adverse effect, I just stopped using for a while. I then introduced them again slowly and before long I was able to eat most things without any problems. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Grumpyman, on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:16 pm
Bill wrote:

Hello Graham. 

Excuse the pun, but the early days/months of having a stoma can be a reall 'bummer'. However, if it is any consolation,for many people it does get better after a while and those who make the most progress fastest seem to be the ones who try to retain a positive outlook. It feels good to have a rant and I would encourage you to do this as often as you feel the need. If nothing else, it helps us all realise that we are not alone on this uninvited journey.

As for diets and stuff I will leave it to others to enlighten you on what they think is appropriate. For myself, I just experimented with all the foods that I have always liked and those that had an adverse effect, I just stopped using for a while. I then introduced them again slowly and before long I was able to eat most things without any problems. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Hi Bill

Thank you for responding , yeah I agree good is bloody good and is its varied and as importantly you enjoy eating then if you're missing some obscure mineral whatever your body let's you know .

Anyway 95% of the time I'm upbeat and very positive ,good friends and close family are Godsend , just those off moments of , I dunno , reflection I suppose that sometimes pull you down for a while , don't know about you Bill but antibiotic use for everything always drags my mood a bit , they mostly do their job but seem to affect my whole body , you know , you just don't feel right . However life is good and I'm grateful to all our much maligned NHS staff who saved my skin .

Good health and happiness my friend , Graham

Reply by newyorktorque, on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Ceramide.  It is good for the skin and can be found in a number of skincare items.  Also if you are using hollister / adapt barrier rings use the cerarings.

Reply by EvaJean, on Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:10 am

Try some Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides Powder. It is supposed to support hair, skin, nail, and joint health. I mix it into my coffee in the morning. It dissolves easily and doesn’t tase like anything. Can’t hurt, might help! Also make sure you’re getting plenty of “good” fats (avocado, fish, nuts, etc.). 

Reply by Grumpyman, on Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:55 am
EvaJean wrote:

Try some Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides Powder. It is supposed to support hair, skin, nail, and joint health. I mix it into my coffee in the morning. It dissolves easily and doesn’t tase like anything. Can’t hurt, might help! Also make sure you’re getting plenty of “good” fats (avocado, fish, nuts, etc.). 

Thank you , I will try this , I do eat lot of good fats especially fish and nuts , was petrified of nuts at first seemed like a nut or mushroom would be fatal , but I seem find , again thank you 

Reply by tmn86, on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:41 pm

I also have had my ileostomy for 31/2 months and my hair is super thin,I take a Biotin supplement of 5000mg a day & that seems to help. 

This whole thing is “ life changing “& NOT IN A GOOD WAY!!😱

Good luck!

Reply by OrlandoNewbie, on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:43 pm

Another vote here for biotin to help with your hair.  I just wish my doctor would have mentioned it a lot earlier.

My surgeon explained that as you're healing, your body diverts nutrients to the important stuff.  Hair, nails, skin are pretty far down the body's priority list, and I. for one, would like to give my body a stern talking-to about that damn list! Wink

Vanity, self-image, and confidence are important, particularly with all the changes you've been put through.  In addition to what has been recommended here, research supplements to address your needs, and do ask your doctor not only for recommendations, but to make sure they won't interact with any medications you may be on.

Reply by Newbie Dana, on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:20 am

Talk to your doctor about B vitamin supplements before taking. What is available over the counter is NOT always as harmless as you might expect. There was a recommendation from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute for taking supplements of B12 and B6 to help with peripheral neuropathy, which I suffer from after chemo treatments. After a couple of months following the recommended regimen, I started suffering from dry eyes and sensitivity to sunlight which got progressively worse until I could barely drive on a severely overcast, stormy day with very dark sunglasses. No clue what was causing it. My doctor finally tested for the B vitamin levels, and found levels more than twice the recommended high limits! After stopping the B supplements, my eyes went back to normal vision within a month, although it took nearly a year for the levels to drop back into the "normal" range. Eye-opening, so to speak.

If you take the biotin supplements, you should at least have your levels monitored, and watch for unexpected side effects.

Reply by looking forward, on Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:52 am

hi same happened to me  but it may take months but it will go back to normal

Reply by tmn86, on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:23 pm
OrlandoNewbie wrote:

Another vote here for biotin to help with your hair.  I just wish my doctor would have mentioned it a lot earlier.

My surgeon explained that as you're healing, your body diverts nutrients to the important stuff.  Hair, nails, skin are pretty far down the body's priority list, and I. for one, would like to give my body a stern talking-to about that damn list! Wink

Vanity, self-image, and confidence are important, particularly with all the changes you've been put through.  In addition to what has been recommended here, research supplements to address your needs, and do ask your doctor not only for recommendations, but to make sure they won't interact with any medications you may be on.

SO right!  My self-image went to crap after my surgery (permanent ileostomy after sepsis),I've been married for 33 yrs so that's not changing ,  but I'm still a girl!! Gez! My image in the mirror is a HUGE deal!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.