Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,316 members

Pancaking

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:05 am
HI!
Just a  question hopefully someone might have a handy hint.
I have a Colostomy which sometimes behaves and sometimes doesnt!
like today constant pancakeing , so i had to change my pouch lots of times ,,, now the skin around my stoma is red and very sore and is weepy which isnt helping the pancakeing troubles,
I use a oily lubricant in my pouch which is supposed to help stop this..
I also use the extra hydro frame (moon shaped saftey seals) if i didnt i be in lots of trouble with pouch coming off due to pancakeing.
Thanks Ria
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:15 am
Ria, stoma powder with a good barrier wipe might clear up around your stoma.  Also I did look up hints for Colostomies, If you are using a bag you cant have air in then it will pancake as I told someone else what I found.  I say spray the inside of the bag with Pam or whatever cooking spray you have and your bag stays better longer and yea all the people on the board are right Baking Soda is the greatest for any smells in your bag.  I hope I didnt miss anything Ria, but it was a long night as my sons plane was late as our weather in Atlana was not good, Love Jenny
PS what I mean is put your bag on with a little air in it and it works out good.
J.J
Reply by J.J, on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:41 am
Hello Ria,

I am new and only have had my colostomy for three months ..so not sure what pancaking means but, I have had trouble with the area around my stoma being sore and a little weepy..Hollister makes a stoma powder that your doctor can write you a script for..it helped me..if you would like the order number just let me know..I had to call the stoma nurse to ask her about it!..hope that helps!

take care,
J.J
Reply by Pinky, on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:17 pm
Hi Ria - I thought this blurb from the UOAA website was kind of funny:

Pancaking is when stool hangs out at the top, near the stoma, and sort of gets stuck up there, like pancakes. Well, not like pancakes. Nothing like pancakes actually.   Very Happy

I had a big-time problem with this with Convatec pouches.  Why do they put the filter right at the stoma opening so everything clogs up right there?  Haven't had the problem so much with Hollister pouches.  Very little problem at all since I started irrigating every morning.

Pam  Smile
J.J
Reply by J.J, on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26 pm
Pinky..
Thank you for the definition..I appreciate it!..that clears that all up..and I won't look at a pancake the same ever again!! Smile

take care,
J.J
Reply by mooza, on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 pm
try Hollister deodorant lube its supposed to be gr8 for colostomies and yep the powder or a seal u mould around the stoma to help keep waste away from skin ..And my favourite a film of barrier wipes this helps me goodluck ..
Reply by zanzi1, on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:43 pm
Use Topicort gel not anything oily since that will prevent your appliance from adhering. Try not to change your appliance too often since that will tear at the skin and just exacerbate the problem. I really haven't heard the term pancaking so I don't understand that part of the problem. Good luck, though - the topicort gel really worked for me and I've had an ileostomy for
36 years.

ann
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:09 am
Pancaking is what the stoma nurse called it ! its when your poo goes in between seal of your pouch and skin instead of in the pouch!
Thanks for everyones advice
Ria
Reply by Grammybec, on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:04 pm
I have this problem alot...didn't realize it had a name...pancaking does discribe it well though.  When it "pancakes" is when I have major leakage problems, guess because it has no place to go, but spread out.  Because of my pancaking/leakage it makes me nervous to go out for any length of time. If I could stop the "pancaking/leakage" it would make living with my new colostomy so much easer.  My kids get nervous when I spend too much time at home, they assume I am depressed, when acutally I am afraid to go out or travel because I might have a leakage problem. The irrigation system sounds complicated and a little scary, so not sure I want to go that route.  It is so nice to know other people have the same probems I do...at least I know I'm normal...Smile This is a great sight and makes living as an ostomate, so much easier.  Thanks everyone, for being my new friends.
Reply by magpie, on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:11 pm
I'm wondering what kind of pouch you wear.  I had some issues with "pancaking" and leaking so I changed from wearing a flat barrier pouch to one with convexity.  It solved my problem immediatley.  I haven't had any issues at all since the change.  Perhaps this might be of some help.
Reply by MrsPetersen, on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:03 pm
I have the same problem. It is driving me crazy! I'll try some of the solutions already mentioned.
Reply by transcend82, on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 pm
Hi, I have had the red weeping breakage of skin around my stoma . First make sure your flange is convex . My Ostomy nurse advised me to use anti-fungal powder along with the stomahesive powder than coat it with the skin barrier wipe helps keep it molded to your skin than add another layer of stomahesive powder on that. When you apply the skin barrier wafer put stomahesive paste on it skin side down and finish up the dressing.. It worked for me . As for the caking I have no answer to that. Good luck !!! I hope this helps.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.