Masochism and the Ostomate

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
The Largest Online Ostomy Community
with 16,286 Members
Watch MeetAnOstoMate Video
Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:16 pm
Hey, all ~

I'm a masochist who suffered a ruptured bowel in July.  I'm now equipped with a colostomy bag, which (if all goes well) will be removed in a handful of months.  Now that I'm largely recovered from the surgery, I'm getting back to the dungeon.  There are some obvious ostomy-related safety concerns.

OstomyArmor looks like an excellent and comfortable system for protecting the stoma, but the images show that the colostomy bag is exposed.  The same company produces a kevlar bag protector, which should do the job of protecting the bag from whips, floggers, canes, etc.

Even assuming that I can protect the stoma and the bag from puncture and whatnot, I wonder about popping the bag from pressure.  This is similar to the fears of sleeping face down: if I'm positioned face-down, what happens if the bag fills up with gas or stool?  Can it burst, or will the adhesive seal pop free?

Online, I find frequent references to professional football players with colostomies, but nobody ever mentions how the extreme sports ostomate manages this.  Whatever a football player uses to keep the stoma protected and prevent the colostomy bag from filling with gas and stool, then being ruptured from anything like impact or just falling face-down, would clearly work for me.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge that can help me out?  Much thanks!

- emc
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:24 pm
This may or may not help you. i bought the armor ostomy belt becasue i have an ileostomy. it was exactly what they promised, but it didn't have near enought padding on it. i wore it one afternoon and next morning and i just happen to run my hand by it and found poop on my fingers. from tightening the belt it had pop loose a side of my bag, so i had to change it and then i found that it had squeezed the bottom open and poop had pancaked there, only the outer rim of tape on the bag kept it from falling out. they have a no return policy(and i can understand that) but they do modify and altar free of charge(you pay postage to get it there)so i sent mine back to get a double layer as my stoma is about 3/4 in high and the padding was about 1/2 inch, so he's putting me another layer of padding and making a pouch that i can take of and wash. so right now i'm not entirely sold on the belt, but it does have potential and when i get it back and wear it, i'll let you know. i bought it mainly to see if i could put it on and wear a shirt inside my pants.the owner is an ostomate also.....
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:39 pm
That's good information about the OstomyArmor -- both for what it says about the product and company, and also about the risk of developing leaks in general.  Keep us posted about how the upgraded padding works, and thanks!

- emc
Nurse
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:42 pm
Hi emc,
Are you a candidate for colostomy irrigation?  If you could irrigate your colostomy you would be able to go without a pouch and perhaps wear a stoma cover.   Has your surgeon or WOC nurse ever discussed this option with you?
Joy
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 pm
Not yet, Joy -- the entire thing is pretty new (I went into the ER on July 9), and I've had only the one followup with the surgeon to remove staples and make sure everything was healing up.  They've said three to six months before we can entertain the idea of undoing what was done (well, mostly undoing it; I'm assuming there's no way to restore the sigmoid colon).

I'll investigate the idea, though -- and thanks!

- emc
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:41 pm
I HAVE TO SAY THAT YOUR PICTURE IS PRETTY SICK, I WOULD THINK OF SOME THING ELSE TO POST/ VERY BAD TASTE.  SORRY
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:34 pm
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:02 am
Joy ~

What I've read tonight on webmd about colostomy irrigation sounds like I wouldn't make a good candidate.  My colostomy isn't permanent, and I think I'd be scheduling the second surgery not too long after the training period ends.  (On the positive side, my stoma would be in the descending colon.)  Still, I'll be talking with my surgeon soon, and I'll ask about it.

I had my first two massage sessions at work today, and I wore a support garment for each of the two hours.  It's a rubber-and-elastic band that secures with Velcro, and it let me fold the colostomy bag up and out of the way.  While it was in place, the colostomy didn't fill with either gas or stool -- though I can't tell if that was mere coincidence, or if the support garment prevented my intestines from passing anything to the bag.  There was no discomfort while wearing it, and my system filled 1/3 of the bag ~45 minutes after removing it.

The way you described the colostomy irrigation -- no bag, but wearing a cap over the stoma -- makes me wonder if the support garment isn't working like a cap.  And, of course, I wonder if that's a bad thing.

- emc
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 am
I refer you to the Cymed website - their spokesman Ben Moon is an extreme sports person - a professional surfer and rockclimber. But he also irrigates.

You may be thinking of Rolf Bernirshcke who played for the Chargers back in the 70s.  He had (and still has) an ilesotomy.  Was also a spokesperson for Convatec, which may have some of the protective products you are referring to.

Please take good care, be kind to yourself and stay out of the dungeon...     Sad
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 pm
Pinky ~

Thanks for the link -- I'll check out Cymed and see what they've got!

I've been hooked up with ConvaTec products since this whole thing began, and so far I can't complain about them.  I'm using a two-piece system.  The adhesive holds up (though the belt helps) and I haven't experienced leakage since I got over the learning curve.  The Tupperware seal is solid, and the bags are good.  My only need that they don't meet is for special durability, but I can't fault them for that -- I'm definitely part of a niche market.

- emc
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:45 pm
I know it's not an ideal solution, but before you have a session with your Master/Mistress, don't you go over the scene (expectations, limits, hard limits, safe words, etc)? It would make perfect sense for you to mention beforehand that you have a temporary colostomy - make sure you explain what that means and what it entails! - and that this area of your body should be carefully avoided for the time being.

Any Top worth their weight in salt will respect this, and be attentive to this new need.

In the meantime, remember to play safe!

Tiggy
Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:03 pm
Tiggy ~

Absolutely true on all counts!  A few of my sadists came to the hospital while I was in, and two of them traded off being there every available hour, even if I was going to be zonked out the entire time.  (These are some truly awesome people!)  I've been back to the dungeon to hang out and be social twice, and we've all talked about what sorts of scenes should be avoided.

Tomorrow is my first scheduled scene in two months, and it'll be fairly light.  We'll go slowly and see how well my protections hold up.  (It helps that more than a few of the attendees are EMTs, and the experienced dungeon monitors are unflappable in emergencies.)

Always safe ~

- emc
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:00 pm
Emc;

Well see!?!? There you go - everything is going to work out perfectly. I'm very impressed and happy to hear that you have such supportive and caring fetishists around you. Razz But in all seriousness, we have to remember that people from ALL walks of life engage in many varying forms of intimacy. People with physical and emotional issues, the handicapped, everyone from lawyers to ditch diggers. I know for a fact that many folks might be shocked to learn just how common different degrees of S&M are. If you have ever been sexually tickled, or just lightly restrained with a silk scarf, that's a form of a power exchange and thus, a form of BDSM (albeit a lighter one.)

Good luck to you!
Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:07 pm
My first scene in months went very well!

I wore the two-piece colostomy rig, emptied the bag out, and folded it over itself once before putting on the foam-and-elastic support band.  I wore the band snug without being too tight.  It did two of its three jobs.  What it failed to do: keep the bag from filling with stool.  What it did: it supported the bag so it wasn't uncomfortable, and it provided a bit of protection.

The scene was light: an electric shock device, and a single-tail whip.  The support band didn't really get in the way, and there weren't any errant hits where the bag and stoma were (so while there was protection, it wasn't necessary except for peace of mind).

Midway through the scene, I felt the lower abdominal muscles do a painful pull.  (One concern I'd had was that my muscles might do something bad and damaging, but that I wouldn't notice; there was no problem on that score.)  My sadist recognized the signal to stop, and we took a five minute break.  I did some quick muscle tests (there are advantages to being a massage therapist with a solid grasp on muscular anatomy), and I could tell that the lower adbominals were fatigued.  Rather than risk serious damage, we called it a night.

Usually, my scenes are heavy, and we stop when I'm a drooling mess on the floor.  It was an interesting experience to stop when my nerves were still abuzz.  (There was much fun to be had later, if less strenuous fun than my heavier scenes are!)

I'm still keen on the other protective devices we've all talked about.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes.  Thanks, everybody!

- emc
Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:20 pm
Tiggy ~

You're right again -- I feel very lucky to have these people in my life.  I know there are folks who carry loads of guilt and self-loathing for having these fetishes, and I'm glad to have dodged that bullet.  Being at this club certainly helps, and not just with meeting up with other kinky people.  It's impossible for me to hang out there and retain any embarassment about having a colostomy bag, and the sex-positive atmosphere makes exploring my new boundaries into a pleasure rather than a minefield.

BDSM is losing a lot of its stigma, as are most of the lifestyles and sexual orientations that hung under a pall until a few decades ago.  The older folks in my community talk about having to build a fake life just to get by, and running the risk of losing a job, a spouse, kids, and so on -- all for what?  Having a kink?  That's largely changed, at least in the larger cities and more progressive states.

How much of my life would have been impossible even forty years ago?  The clubs were entirely underground.  My kinks aside, how long ago would a ruptured bowel have been totally untreatable?  When did a colostomy bag become a viable solution?  It's a wonderful time to be alive!

- emc
Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.