Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,232 members

Washing tips....help

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:57 pm
Hi all,  I don't recall who spoke of using a water bottle to rinse the bag.  Do you rinse from the bottom,  or open the top and pour the water in?  I'm having some difficulty..............ok.....accidents.  please help.
Reply by lottagelady, on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:05 pm
Hi, I use a one piece drainable - just fill it from the bottom and swoosh it round a bit and then drain - have to do it a couple of times to get it really 'clean' mind .....! Then use some toilet paper to clean up the end piece before rolling up the velcro bit .... does 'splash' a bit if you aren't careful, but I line the pan with some paper first which makes life a little easier. Hope that makes sense?
Rach xx
Reply by Grammybec, on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:16 pm
Betty...I put the water in from the bottom, after emptying the contents.  Actually sometimes if the stool is sticking to the bag, I put water in before dumping, as it helps the stool to slide out easier.  I also use baby wipes to clean the inside part of the bag that I fold over to close...it keeps the opening clean.  I dispose of the wipes in a baggie with a couple Altoids, to keep the smell under control.  I use a bottle that has a spray top, so I can control the flow of water...using a bottle and just pouring the water in, might be a little more difficult to control.  I travel with a bottle of Frebreeze so I can spray the bathroom in hotels. I'm sure the maid is pleased with me...Smile  Hope this helps...I haven't been at this very long myself, five months, so any suggestions people have are very welcome.
Reply by Pinky, on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:54 pm
I think that was beatrice who talked about rinsing.  I rinse my pouch too (if wearing a drainable).  The only problem with rinsing is the filter gets even damper and stops working sooner.  Also (supposedly) the companies say rinsing damages the lin ing of the bag.

Another alternative, especially if you use a really secure system like Convatec are pouch liners made by a guy in Canada called Colo Majic flushable liners.  I used to use them when I used Convatec and they were great!  Really great if you are using a closed-end pouch for whatever reason.

You just can't flush them into a septic system, which is another reason I stopped using them.  I don't know if the NHS will cover them - I had to buy them myself - but I believe he will send you samples before you buy the 1500 or whatever huge # there are in a pack.   Smile

PS - I just use a regular water bottle (Aquafina or Dasani, or whatever) to rinse.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:34 pm
Hi there,  one more question....... do you use soap as well?
Reply by ok girl, on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:47 am
I carry a empty water bottle in my purse at all times. When you go into a public restroom just fill it up with water (people will wonder what you are doing but oh well who cares) go in the rest room and from the bottom empty and the clean out with the water wipe bag end and reseal wala all done 5 minn.
Reply by ok girl, on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:54 am
I have used AVON Bubble Bath just 1 or 2 drops then flush out with water works great and does not bubble up like youthink it would. Smells good also
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am
hi there,  thanks for the great advice.  I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Reply by Wilski, on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:29 pm
I use a water or soda bottle with at least 16 oz or so. I use a two piece Convatec appliance with charcoal filter. I open the lower end, pour in about 1/2 a bottle of water, shake vigorously, if stool is hard, break it up in the bag, and then drain into the toilet. Repeat with remainder of water in bottle and drain. I then take a 6" - 9" piece of toilet paper, roll it up like a cigarette, and insert it into the bottom of the bag. Holding the TP inside and making sure that the end is closed with my fingers, I drain the excess water and it is absorbed by the TP. I throw the TP away into the bowl. Voila. The charcoal filter lasts about 2 days, but that's about the life of the bag anyway.

In some bathrooms, one person type, I fill my bag directly from the sink spout with lukewarm water. You need to practice this so as not to overfill and create a mess. The worst problem I had was a spill or my bag not fully closed on the flange. This happened about 3 times in the last 4 years. Not bad.

This entire procedure can take less than 5 minutes and is environmentally very friendly and portable. Good luck with all your methods. There is no "right" way to do it. Just what works for you.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.