Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

FULL BODY SCANS at AIRPORTS

Posted by rocket, on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:44 pm
Hi - I also have problem with travelling through airports. I wouldn't mind scanners if i could be 100% sure security staff would be sensitive about issue and not mention anything as I often travel with friends who are not aware of my predicament. What frustrates me, is that my luggage always ends up getting checked which, i guess is due to the odd appliances etc..? I've not discovered a means of ensuring discretion is maintained when travelling through customs. Would be good to hear any views from members with similar fears.
Regards
Rocket
Reply by Tiggy, on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:47 pm
Tyler and I will be flying to Vegas in late October, and he doesn't seem to have any reservations about people knowing about his bag. I know I sure as hell don't. We're both kind of proud of his bag, and I know that sounds bizarre but the best way I can sum it up is to say that it takes guts to have your colon removed. Razz Hehe I'm so clever. Razz

Why not be proud of the fact that you did what you had to do, and you're alive and in love?

Smile

Tiggy
Reply by tippitop, on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:05 pm
Hey, I fly all over the place.Have had my hand luggage searched many times, those scary muscular guys and gals in the black uniforms really dont give a damn! Have had my hand luggage checked a few times and there is no reaction! they see this pretty often, I never blush, they see much more interesting things every day!

Travel when and where ever you can, its not an embarrassment to anyone but yourself.
Truly, I travel to the states, to India and most of the european countries. dont worry. It really is no big deal to these guys.

Happy holidays!!

Tippitopxxx
Reply by beatrice, on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:44 pm
I'm in the group that couldn't care less who sees what/knows about my ostomy.

Haven't flown yet (will in Jan) and I'll show whatever needs to be shown. That said, I've never been a physically bashful person; but I can understand that, for those who are, visual checks, scans and pat-downs could be rough.

Just keep in mind that hopefully, extra airport security will keep us safe. And in the end, that is more important than our squeamishness.

Junopete -- sometimes my jaw drops when I read your comments . I think in person, you'd be someone I'd enjoy talking with -- an interesting 'character'. But in writing, we can't see your face, hear your voice ... and words hurt. I bet you care alot and want to help ... just be a bit more careful about how harsh you sometimes come across?

What often happens with 'abrasive' people, is that all they have to say is immediately ignored/discounted. You have too much good info to let that happen.
Reply by Vietnam67-71, on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:32 am
While I am in the group that does not care who knows I have an ostomy, I still do not fly. I did pull up my shirt once and show someone my ostomy in the middle of a Lowes store.

The reason I will not fly is Constitution of the United States says I am secure in my person, house, papers and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures and can not be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law.

If TSA agent sees something they want or they don't like they just take it in clear violation of the constitution. When they open your bags  and mess up your belongings without cause they have violated the U.S. Constitution. I can understand the drug dogs pulling a bag out of line and then searching that one bag, and they also have dogs for explosives that just sit down at the bag in question.

Thirty years ago flying from Chicago to Kansas City on a return trip, one of those agents tried to take my toolbox with all of the tools that I needed for work, he refused to give me a receipt and did not want to let me go back and check the toolbox in as checked baggage until I spoke with his supervisor. On the trip from Kansas City to Chicago nobody even looked at it and I carried the toolbox onto the plane. Since then I drive wherever I go or take a charter flight.
Reply by mooza, on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:24 am
Junopete i found your comments FANTASTIC about the little secret my ileo is no secret ..Ialso travelled from Australia to Malasia last year no probs i dont hydrate enough find drinkin sooo much water my stoma just spits water out ..But at the airport in Malasia i beep of on the detecter thing and yes i got patted down the woman kept goin over where i had my pouch i dont know i felt like laughin my head off lol ..But thought i would show her my scars and top of pouchy hahah And i had soo many pouches carry on luggage u think 2 weeks i had prob about 50 pouches in case my luggage went missing..Yes when osto's say about feeling ugly it kinda makes me sad for myself and depressed cause i think of 20 years living with crohn's couldnt care but would fel weird if those scaners showed veything (only cause i put on weight lol..JUNOPETE YOUR A LEGEND CHEERS MARE--MOOZA
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.