Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

Best stool softener/Colostomy

Posted by CarrieAnn, on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 pm
Could I please have benefit of experience on stool softeners?  I am taking a new Rx med that is really causing me problems.  I am drinking lots of water but I still need help!  Naturally, I would like something that doesn't create the opposite problem.  Thank you!
Nurse
Reply by Whoa, on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:53 pm
Hi Carrie Ann

The standard over the counter stool softener is Duccosate Sodium (Colace is a brand name); doseage anywhere from 100mg daily to twice a day, or 250mg. daily.  You can titrate it with your judgement to keep things moving.  

Some natural remedies:  good old prunes or pruine juice daily; I have seen some folks here mention grape juice helps.  Bet the ostomates here have good advice on that.

Hope this helps.

By the way...love your picture.  What kind of horse?????

Reply by CarrieAnn, on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 am
Thanks much!  I will try Colace.  PJ works, for sure, but I am low-carb dieting and that puts me over my carb limit.

Love getting a compliment on my horse -- thank you!  He is a quarter horse.
Nurse
Reply by Whoa, on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:19 am
Hey Carrie Ann

I didn't stop to ask what type of ostomy you have????   If a colostomy, no problem to take stool softeners.  Urostomy, no problem.  If an ileostomy, you should NEVER need stool softeners or laxatives.   Just checking.....

It would be great if you would write a new thread about yourself and your horse, riding.    I've had one equestrian ostomate, and  another with upcoming surgery.  I get asked the questions, and can only answer technically that one should be able to do whatever they like post ostomy surgery.  I'd love to hear first hand from you.  I have horses, no stoma and a lousy rider myself...not a great one to give advice! Better heard from the horses mouth....  OK, I know that was a bad one.....

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 am

Whoa wrote:
Better heard from the horses mouth....  OK, I know that was a bad one.....

whoa, i belive this board is rubbing off on you!!! anyhow bravo...good one
Reply by sweede, on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:58 pm
Lactulose is aslo an excellent stool softer that can be taken on a daily basis, it is commonly prescribed for older people to help move the bowels along, it's worth asking your  G.P if it is a sutible option for you.x
Reply by budd002, on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:05 am
I find that room temperature apple sauce does it for me. I rarley have an issue when it comes to hard stool as I will have a small bit of apple sauce as a snack every afternoon and at night. It can't hurt...might help.
Reply by sweede, on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:18 am
Apple sauce huh, thats very interesting, i think i might try that from time to time, thanks lass.x
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.