Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 45-year-old Female
Interested in meeting or talking to: Male

I am a 26-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 51-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Female
Meet and talk to 20,082 OstoMates

I Need A Form Or Card To Go Thought Security In The Airport!

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:34 am
Hi Everyone! I have a few question for you all! Im going to be traveling to cuba! Is there any form you know of that can be downloaded to tell security that I have an Ostomy or that I have crohn's disease???? Any information would be greatly!!!Thanks!!
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:05 am
Hi Traci the only thing i know is you can get a traval certificate from your stoma nurse or a ostomy rep,,your gp can sign it verifying you have both conditions,i traveled this year and took one with me,but never needed to ues it. Hope this is some help to you..tc ambies..
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:04 am
yes traci like ambies said i didnt use mine either but i got patted down lady was polite though .ENJOY CUBA OH GRAB SOME CIGARS
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:16 pm
The UOAA.org website has a dark blue ostomy alert card you can print out to show the airport screeners.  I did this when I went from San Diego to Portland - the TSA agents just looked at it and waved me through security - no hands on - and at the gate I showed it to get a pre-boarding pass so I could sit near the restroom.

It was really handy!   Smile
  Past Member
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:59 am
Not sure if this will download or not but the below link is similar to the form I have used on my travels.

http://www.ostomates.org/certificate.pdf
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 am
Just show up at the airport naked. No problem!
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:33 pm
here is a link to the UOAA site that has the TSA cards:

http://www.ostomy.org/ostomy_info/pubs/Travel_Card_2011b.pdf

however, if you are at an airport that doesn't have full body scanners, you really don't need it. This was true for me when I flew from Philadelphia to Miami to Barbados for my honeymoon. Miami did have the full body scanner, but I was not chosen to go through it, so I just went through the metal detector and was fine. It's good to have them with you though, just in case.
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:30 pm
I got a letter from my surgeon...actually his Physician's Assistant..describing the colostomy and my supplies.  This past year I have flown via Paris to Morocco and back...to England and this weekend to Miami for a wedding.  I also have been waved through the metal detector not the full body scanner and never questioned or patted down.  I feel safe with the letter in my bag and greatly relieved to be past security.
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:20 pm
I just flew to Vegas from Baltimore and I went through Baltimore and didn't get the full body scan, but on the way home from Vegas they made everyone go through the scan and they naturally pulled me to the side and told me to remove everything from my pockets and go back through- I told them I had nothing in my pockets but that I was wearing my ileostomy bag and the screener said what is that- I said I have an ostomy and I wear a bag to catch my waste- She made me rub my hands across my belly and then she swabbed my hands to check for dangerous residues,  She was very polite and said my you are so young ( so yes I loved her ) I told her they actually saved my life and found cancerous cells when they did my surgery so they truely did save me, she held my hands and said her best friend died from colon cancer and she said thank God they found a way to save you.  So was I a bit embarrassed to be called out for my extra package ? yes, well I was but am I glad I was able to educate one more person in this world. well yes I was.  My travel companions were more upset, because she didn't know what an ostomy was.  Good Luck and don't worry, stressed passengers get searched first - lol
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:54 pm
My ConvaTec supplies came with a 2 sided card that explains,a little, what is going on.It is a small wallet size card on one side is states "GOTTA GO NOW" restroom access It goes into detail that you have and OSTOMY DEVICE.
This DOES NOT exempt you from but it is supposed to make things easier. It's called A Traveler's Communication Card and it comes from ConvaTec.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.