Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,178 members

Cost Of Meds

Posted by christiesdad, on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 am
I am currently dealing with a pharmacutical company in Canada.........."Big Mountain Drugs".
I have found that some meds are higher in cost, some are less.  Am on Medicare, so my average cost is around six dollers per script. The exception is one med, Pramipexole, which cost $125.00 a pop. ( this drug is used to treat Parkingsons Disease,  but was discovered to treat
RLS, (restless leg syndrome).  If you have RLS you know how miserable it can be. Since the name of the drug is difficult to pronounce, I refer to it as "my heebie-jeebie Pill"
I am curious to know if anyone knows of a less expensive source to obtain this med from?

Reply by CAW, on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:58 pm
Have you thought about going to the manufacturer and seeing if they have an discount programs available?  I know my daughter-in-law takes several expensive drugs and her doctor has given her discount cards that allows her to purchase them with little or no co-pays for up to a year, which is a life saver.   Good luck finding a cheaper place to purchase your RLS drug.  

Your post made me wonder if there are cheaper places around to get ostomy supplies.  I have insurance and even with my 20% copay, I feel it is very costly.  Has anyone found a cheap place to purchase your ostomy supplies?  

Thanks!!

Reply by bag_n_drag, on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:14 pm

CAW wrote:
Have you thought about going to the manufacturer and seeing if they have an discount programs available?  I know my daughter-in-law takes several expensive drugs and her doctor has given her discount cards that allows her to purchase them with little or no co-pays for up to a year, which is a life saver.   Good luck finding a cheaper place to purchase your RLS drug.  

Your post made me wonder if there are cheaper places around to get ostomy supplies.  I have insurance and even with my 20% copay, I feel it is very costly.  Has anyone found a cheap place to purchase your ostomy supplies?  

Thanks!!

I had to buy extra bags each month because my insurance would only allow "x" # of boxes; was able to get them at totalhomecaresupplies.com for less than half of what edgepark and a couple others were charging.  Plus they offer free shipping on orders over $40.  I've also found some decent deals on ostomy supplies from allegromedical.com; they run 20% off sales quite a bit and this helps with the pricing....also reasonable on shipping charges.

I was also able to get a month of free medications for a lot of my mom's expensive meds through a company called xubex.com.

I just had an ostomy reversal and have several boxes of bags, 13 boxes of flanges w/ 6 per box, stoma adhesive, prep wipes, etc. that I am looking to get rid of for next to nothing.....the bags and flanges are the Coloplast Sensura Click System (2 piece); closed ended bags in oqaque.  If you know of someone out here who may need them; please let me know.

Darla
Darla

Reply by CAW, on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:16 pm
Darla,

Thanks for the info.  Congrats on the reversal.  I wish I had that opportunity but I am stuck with mine forever.  What size are your flanges?  What size are your pouches? I normally use Hollister 7 inch pouches.  Anything bigger is too big on me because I am so short waisted.  

Thanks again.

Reply by bag_n_drag, on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:44 pm

CAW wrote:
Darla,

Thanks for the info.  Congrats on the reversal.  I wish I had that opportunity but I am stuck with mine forever.  What size are your flanges?  What size are your pouches? I normally use Hollister 7 inch pouches.  Anything bigger is too big on me because I am so short waisted.  

Thanks again.

CAW-

The flanges are 3/8 - 2 1/4"

Pouch size is 8.5 ".  I am short waisted, too and always wore my pouch sideways. Smile

Reply by tim1948, on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 pm
Ever heard of Walmart?  250 generic prescpritions  $4.00
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.