Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,329 members

High output pouches for ileostomies

Nurse
Posted by Whoa, on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:06 pm
Hi all

Can't find the post,poster;  but remember reading about issue with I think short bowel syndrome, frequently getting up at night to empty.  A high output pouch might be worth a try.

High output pouches have spouts; they can also be connected to a drainage bag at night to siphon out stool and keep the pouch flat; however the stool would have to be fairly liquid.

Hollister, Convatec and Coloplast all make high output pouches;  
Coloplast 's drainage attachment/tubing  that is a bit wider than  the other companies and to my recollection the only company that has a drainage bag specifically for their high output pouch.  For the other companies, you would need a regular urinary dainage bag.

The pouches are a bit larger to hold more volume.  The downside:  pouches get heavier with larger volumes and may start pulling on the skin barrier/wafer which could cause a leak.

If interested, go to any of the companies Websites and put in the search "High Output Pouch"

Someone mentioned they were going to invent such a pouch/drainage system.  I hope so!!!  I think a lot of folks would be interested.

Reply by kenny_renny2002, on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:05 am
Hi
Thanks for addressing this problem. I have a short bowel syndrome n I'm using coloplast one piece bags which are not very large. I will try to get more information about large bags.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.