Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

Best way to empty bag

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:48 am
I wanted to know how people empty their bag. Any good tricks.
Reply by jayski, on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:59 am
What kind of ostomy? If it's an ileostomy, I could maybe offer advice...
Reply by wborrelli, on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 pm
At home I typically kneel before the throne to prevent any splashing.

Out in public, usually a little nervous about getting anything more then the soles of my shoes on those floors. Being here in the USofA, the public restrooms are typically set up with the longer toilet seats, and the seat is split towards the front, so I sit on the seat a bit farther back so the neck of the pouch has enough room to drain into the toilet.

And from the outside of the stall it looks normal, pants around the lower legs, etc...

Sometimes if the seat is a little scary looking, I will throw some toilet tissue into the toilet, and then squat a bit while standing in front of the toilet and aim for the tissue in the bowl. Again to try and prevent splashing. Splashing is bad/evil/no-good.

Hope that provides a few answers.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:39 pm
Hello!

I have an ileostomy and in that 10 years I have found for me only sitting down works. Legs wide enough apart to allow space to work! I find this easiest I use Dansac Invent with Velcro  fastener (every now and again and particularly when drunk I dropped the plastic clip down bowl, not fun fishing that back out) so once undone gravity normally takes care of the rest down front of bowl into bottom and no noise and as wborrelli  said from outside all looks normal, this tends to be pretty clean, I always remain Conscious of ballooning so I properly do this every couple of hours if out so never huge output as things don't particularly happen for 3-4 hours after eating. Tried standing in past didn't work for me things seemed to go anywhere but intended place and crouching on holiday in Rome whilst drunk was the comedy of disasters that anyone sober could predict. Overall I find it is what it is I wish I could find a different way maybe aircraft loo style suction pipe.  I did have to go for Midi size bag as small to small for me would burst seal alot and maxo was too big for me the midi seems to miss all vital organs so as to say whilst draining.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm
This is month two of my ileostomy.  I also have been kneeling down and I use about 3 or 4 pieces of tpoilet paper I pre prepare as wipes.  What I really wanted to know is there any good methods of  squeezing all the stuff out of the pouch/bag.  Its ok at the tab end, but what about the main pouch.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:14 pm
Gaza,

I use if sort of sqeeze method very similar to getting the last of the toothpaste out of the tube. My Pouch has cotton type cover either side i use finger to front thumb to rear sqeeze lightly and move this roller type motoion pushes contents down  towards opening. Once stoma is fully healed you should get no real sensation and the stoma will not be harmed if you knock it.
Reply by Teacher417, on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:40 pm
I keep a bottle of water in a mini back pack with me whenever I go out in public. If the output is thick or chunky I pour some water into the bag to make drainage easier and it cleans out the bag as well. I always sit so I carry wipes for the toilet seat and have tissue and wipes ready to use to clean velcro end and hands. I am a teacher and very conscious of the ballooning bag. I only have a five minute break every 80 minutes. I always empty just in case I can't get to the restroom again. Don't worry it all becomes second nature once you get your system down. I have had my ostomy since 3/09 and life has been so much easier!
Reply by nakedinthesunt, on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:47 am
I have a Colostomy.....I reciently ordered .... Flushable Ostomy Liners....
Box of 300 for $65.00
Awsome.......Slips inside your 2 piece setup......remove pouch....pull liner out....flush.....your pouch is still clean as a whistle...slip in another linner....& your done in a flash.  Prolongs the use of your pouches and is so easy.
Only drawback.....they definately cannot go down the toilet if your on a septic system or leach line as they are not biodegradable.  Rotor rooter guy doesn't recommend flushing either.......I've had no problem flushing em though.....so if thats a concern........keep some small plastic bags on hand....remove the liner.......empty like you would your pouch...but don't reuse it....place in plastic bag and dispose in trash....still fast...your pouch is still clean.......no more squeezing rinsing washing etc.  Love it !!!!!!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:36 am
Thanks teacher417  and others for your comments, they are much appreciated and helpful.  I am college school mathematics teacher and as yet have not gone back to work.   I teach in a all girls semi private college set in a wine growing valley in New Zealand.  I am feeling very apprehensive about standing in front of my classes again. Just not sure how I am going to cope with that as yet. As a teacher having 25 teenage girls looking at me hour after to hour is an image I have not yet come to terms with.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:59 pm
Gaza,

I  have gone through some self  image and fashion issues (stoma location prevents wearing of hipster type jeans and borat style mankinis) and historically spent a number of hours in front of mirror agonizing over bulge etc.  I am always aware of any bulging etc, however I kept a food and output diary and know when output is highest and due, so if I am doing presentations or so I plan my food intake if in a complete strange place. Since then I deal with this a little more in that I tend to empty my pouch when I need a pee so 3-4 times in working day so minimal output at any time I also found that I tried a few style trousers / suits and find twin pleated front don't reveal anything really and I have to wear a tie so its is always bright and patterned so creates a different visual point to anyone looking at me (this is for my own sanity I think) I am quite animated when talking so all in all I create enough self distraction to assure myself no-one notices.  If I listened to all that tell me no-one notices in the first place. I have found that ensuring I keep my belly off does most to mask things, when I have over extended when calorie gaining the excess seems to enhance things a bit beyond my comfort zone.  If you are still a little concerned a hernia type belt would hold all flat, not tried myself but I am sure some other members have, only heard good things on this.  I found with my Illeostomy that for the first 3-4 months output and noise etc were greater and output less predictable, however things settled and I learned what food is for midweek and what is for a lazy weekend and I can control what and when. All the best.
Reply by jayski, on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:07 pm
I sit on the toilet, legs wide apart (it helps if you've angled the bag slightly to the centre when attaching it to the flange). Then I 'squeegee' the bulk of the material into the toilet with 2nd and 3rd fingers held tightly on either side of the pouch. (Depending on the interior slope of the front of your toilet, you may want to put some toilet paper at the waterline to prevent splashing. Then I fold two squares of toilet paper into a rectangle about 1/2-3/4" wide (do this twice, once for each side of the pouch), and then use those to push any remaining stuff out, with the same 'squeeze-and-push' motion. Drop them into the toilet as you reach the end of the pouch. Takes a bit of practice, but the end result is a fairly clean pouch end. Hope that wasn't too confusing!
Reply by Mike, on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:00 pm
I recently purchased a new thing on the market that hooks up to the waterline of the tolet, You Put your bag in it and open the valve and your bag is clean in 15 secounds or less

Go Here:ostyclean.com
Reply by bearcat, on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:55 pm
don't know if this will help you out or not, but i always put some sheets of toilet paper in the bowl of the commode before i start, as this will keep the contents of the bag from splashing up. the amount of paper you need depends on how runny the output is. also after i drain the bag i rinse it out(have a 10oz squirt bottle) handy and i mix mostly water and a small amount of Hollister's lubicating/deodorizer oil. that helps with the odor and makes the side of the bag a little slicker so it comes out better. i also like Hollister M-9 odor eliminator, works very well for me.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:35 am
Gaza,

Just one suggestion with the drainable, make sure you put a rubber band around the clip. You don't want the thing to pop open especially in front of your class. You'd be surprised how ofen this an occur.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.