Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,331 members

Noisy stoma

Posted by izadore, on Sat May 04, 2013 6:15 pm
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make my stoma be more quiet? I recently ordered a stealth belt and a muffler but it hasn't arrived yet and since my colostomy surgery 3 weeks ago I notice that it can be so loud at times and it is so embarrassing! I am still on a low fiber low residue diet and wonder if when I go back to more foods if it will be even worse.
Reply by Bill, on Sun May 05, 2013 1:38 am
Hello izadore,  You have a colostomy, so I would suggest that you look into the possibility of irrigation as soon as possible and then you can use a plug. These plugs will stop all the noises and let the wind out in the normal way.  Best wishes Bill
Reply by Happiness lies within, on Sun May 05, 2013 2:29 am
I have a colostomy bag and have had it for 7 months.
First I use peppermint pills from the doc and peppermint tea to deal with the wind which causes the sounds.
Second I don't eat sulphurous foods evan though I love them - onions, garlic, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli are the worst offenders. I make my own soups and stews because pre-made or tinned ones tend to have onions/garlic automatically in them.
Third. I braved up and faced the embarassment. Starting with a couple of teenage boys desperately trying not to laugh out loud at me and failing in hospital. I suddenly realised farting loudly unexpetedly is funny whether you have a bag or not. You could always try saying something like 'better out than in!' or ' I bet no one else can do that!' with a smile on your face. It breaks the ice, is assertive and stops you being a victim of the pouch and some people.
Last but not least the good news is - if its anything like mine - it calms down massively once you are eating normal foods and digesting again It happens a lot less and much much quieter. Now I'm actually really proud when I stomach fart - it's like my own party trick that tells me my body is working ok and people actually sadly don't hear it now. I use the peppermint sparingly now.

Good Luck!
Reply by TimothyKevin, on Sun May 05, 2013 12:36 pm
I used to be a newspaper reporter and it caused me a lot of embarrassment when I would have to sit for hours in village council chambers covering village council meetings or in county commissioner's offices. Sometimes my ileostomy would gurgle, some times it would actually growl, others times it sounded like a choked-up car carbeurator. Of course I turned the proverbial ten shades of red as many times I had to sit close next to other reporters from rival newspapers, like on those very uncomfortable gray metal folding chairs. Well, sometimes I would cough over the gurgles, but the more I tried to stop it mentally the more the ileostomy began to act up, almost as if it was trying to embarrass me on purpose. Refraining from carbornated drinks is one possible idea, and high-fat carb foods, but those are the kinds of stuff I love to eat so I finally reasoned to myself that this is the way it's going to be. I didn't ask for a radical ileostomy with complete removal of the rectum. It certainly wasn't on one my Christmas wish lists, nor was it a much desired goal for my life. So, it is a situation beyond my control. If a so-called "normal" person has a problem with it, they can simply...well...visit Hades. What else can a permanent Ostomate say? "Sorry for having to undergo an incredibly traumatic surgery I didn't want to go through but had to anyway or I'd be spending the rest of my living in a hospital?"
Reply by monty, on Sun May 05, 2013 8:10 pm
Thank God for grandchildren who enjoy a good laugh when this happens to me. Just roll with the punches and laugh, that's life. God bless you.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 pm

TimothyKevin wrote:
What else can a permanent Ostomate say? "Sorry for having to undergo an incredibly traumatic surgery I didn't want to go through but had to anyway or I'd be spending the rest of my living in a hospital?"

"If i had the muscles i'd use them"

??
Reply by izadore, on Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 am
Thanks for replying to me. I guess I might have to live with it and  talk real loud at times hehe. I am so sorry ya had to go through it too but like you said its either live like this or not at all. I recently had the colostomy placed  April 12 hopefully temporarily but I have had illeostomy 2 other times before this and It wasnt noisy at all. I have had 10 surgeries to repair fistulas and hopefully the last place I just went to will do the trick. I went to Mayo clininc In MN. Seems more thorough than UNC chapel hill or cleveland clinic. Im honestly not sure of getting rid of bag if fistula surgery was successful because I realize I can eat more good stuff and not be making the mad dash to the BR. I just cant stand the noise. I was a dental assistant for 12 years and sitting chairside with fistula problems and always being in the BR was so difficult so now Im on ssdi but hopefully not forever. I still have trouble in the ileum so not sure if I ll have to go back to the illeostomy but I had such high high out put both times that I had to drink 10 gatorade a day and still have 2 liters of fluid every other day with a picc line so Im gonna try cimzia soon. Last med to try but tysabri so hopefully my ileum will get better. Have hard time in mornings with it filling up so fast and just had to get some fluids again the other day . I notice after a few resections over the years stuff just doesnt stay put very long. Sorry I went on a rant but I guess it helps to know others are in the same position and I guess I might just have to deal with this forever too. Thx again for your response.
Reply by izadore, on Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 am
I was just wondering about this irrigation technique from readin about it but my Dr didnt mention it to me. I will se if I am a canidate. I have an end to end colostomy so not sure the wind will go thru the other way. I will look into it for sure and thanks for the tip. Take care
Reply by izadore, on Mon May 06, 2013 10:48 am
I hope you have made a good adjustment to your bag and don't have to much trouble. I never heard of the peppermint tea and pills. Great idea! I have some fresh peppermint  growing in the herb garden and maybe I can incorporate that into my diet too and see if it helps. I may have to make my own tea maybe or buy some. I can deal with it somehow I suppose but you are right... Im just gonna have to roll with the punches and try to relax about it. Hopefully like you said it might calm down after I get more adjusted in digesting food. I do love to garden though so I may just have to have my favorite veggies and stay alone to eat em. Thank you for these tips it will really help I hope.
Reply by Mrs.A, on Mon May 06, 2013 9:49 pm
Peppermint pills??? Like tic tac's (hehe) no really....pills? From the doctor? Like a prescription?  I want to know more about this....thanks~
Reply by Happiness lies within, on Tue May 07, 2013 6:13 am
No not as nice as tic-tacs but yes Mintec - Peppermint Oil Capsules (pills Mrs A ).
Yes on prescription in the UK (Don't know about anywhere else?) and yes from the fully qualified Doctor. I had excessive pain from passing wind through my stoma which coincidentally was also very loud.

Like any drug it may react with other meds? - I'm not a Doc and don't know about any other meds you may be taking so is best to consult and get it through your Doctor. I did get some heartburn after a while and seeing as the wind lessened, I take them on a need to basis only.

I think diet was/is a big help really but haven't researched it. I don't know about anyone else but I could track the effects of different foods when my drugs were on a fairly even keel. Especially if I knew the ingredients that went in to start with hense few processed/ pre made foods - it can be difficult to have the energy sometimes but is worth it when I do it. Food additives and preservatives can add to the wind misery.
I forgot to say earlier I don't do carbonated drinks either and haven't dared touch beans   baked or lentil etc as yet? I also eat live natural or Greek Yoghurt with fruit or Italian food for a few friendly wind busting enzymes.

The Dietician warned about swallowing too much air as I eat or eating/drinking too fast - apparently doesn't help. I felt quite offended when he told me but noticed one day I was soooooo hungry from low residue diet and moving about more, I actually was eating really fast.

Anyway if you're going to raid a plant - peppermint's def. the one to do!!! I have a fistula also. Let us know what works/doesn't work.

Any other tips for wind anyone?????
Reply by Steve7809, on Wed May 08, 2013 3:16 am
With my ileostomy Ive never really watched what I eat. I know that colostomys are a bit different. With me and gas I know that if I pass it once I will most likely pass 3-6 more times. As soon as I realize that Im active or I think i could be active  I fold my arms or lay an arm across my stoma if possible and that muffles the sound. I know its inconvenient, but it works!
Reply by monty, on Fri May 10, 2013 5:54 pm
Most pharmacies sell BEANO a pill you take with meals, very cheap. I kills the gas and works pretty good. I love all kinds of beans and you know how gassy this is.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.