Meet and talk to 20,077 OstoMates

The "f" Word

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 am

I thought this was a social issue but maybe it belongs here.  Please don’t be offended; just attempting some levity.
I’m wondering if the F word means as much to everyone else as it does to me.  When I was a kid I used it as much as possible to be one of the cool guys.  I’m 72 now and being cool is not a priority.  Actually, I’m one of you guys now and that’s not exactly what I would call “cool”.  Well, the physical part that is.  Intellectually, I’ve learned tons from you and that IS cool.  I can write OK without the F word but speaking is a real problem.  Most often it’s difficult to complete a sentence without including the F word. I mean WTF, my vocabulary is of reasonable size to effectively communicate with some other folks on some subjects. Not religion or politics of course but hockey, football, weather and the like.  But I just find it difficult without the F word.  It’s like, “Where’s  the F’n whistle you F’n moron?  I can’t just ask that question and expect anyone to feel my emotion without the F word.  “Boy it’s F’n hot today” or “man, I’m freezing my F’n tail off” are expressions that make sense to me.  I guess there’s not much F’n sanity to most of what I say but it just feels smarter with that word.  WTF.  Let’s face it.  We can use it as any part of speech, it’s easy to pronounce even with a F’n lisp or accent from India or F’n China.  At the local volunteer firemen’s picnic a guy comes walking out of the woods to his table and says in a loud voice “Who the F took my beer?”  It’s a legitimate question and appropriately presented.  If he asked, “Did anyone see who mistakenly took my beer?”  the other folks would probably say “F 'im”. There are times, however, when it might be prudent to cautiously omit the word.  For instance you might say to your buddy, “Your wife must be a F’n saint to put up with your crap.”  A pause in the wrong place could send a wrong message. It’s like when someone chastises us for our bad language and we respond “What’re you, the F’n Pope?”  
My lovely wife of almost 51 years came into the room and looking over my shoulder read this note and said, “OMG, why would you write such a thing?”   Without turning around I said, “Nobody gives a F”.
Mike
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:20 pm
heres a clip from one of my favorite movies....if you`ve never see "a christmas story" you should watch the whole movie to get the full effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgx1sSfriIA
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:31 pm
As you said, it is the universal word. it fits all situations. It can be used as a noun, verb, adjective and even an adverb. True, one just can't walk into a convent and say "What the F___ is up." Just avoid convents and you're fine ...lol

X_
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 am
Mac, Mac, Mac!  
What  can I  say?  You are new  here, I assume,  as  I  don't  recall any  of  your  posts.  But  that  may  be  due  to my  in-attention.   What  you  have done  though  as  far  as  I  am  concerned, is,  attained  status-ship among the great dessertationist in  this  forum.  You  now  can  walk  with  ease  among  the  giants of  wordsmiths,  such  as  XERPES, MMSH,SINFULSOT, EDDIE, PRIME  AND  GUTENBERG.  I  stand  in  awe of  your presentation and  appreciate  your  contribution.  I  have tried  to  inject just  such  humor as  you  successfully  did  with  your  post,  and  have failed.

I look  forward  to other  post  in the future.

Jack
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:10 am
now see, i'm the opposite...i'll use it only in emotional emergency to deflate pressure built up with a bit of shock, but other wise find it unnecessary and a bit much for my sensibilities. however, i find this page full of the f word fall down hilarious, though i don't think it went over very well.
http://www.meetanostomate.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5467
  Past Member
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:30 am
too much f-word-ing or you'll get the Xerpes...
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:32 pm
Hey Jack, you're way too kind but I'm so glad you got a giggle or two.  Thanks,  Mike
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:44 am
The F word is a pre requisite for sane driving on British roads ...Without it I get nowhere very fast !!
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:18 am
It would mean a lot more if I actually did it once in a while
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:38 pm
who f'n cares? sometimes called for, others not. such as a funeral i don't think the first thing you want to ask is "who f'n died". but you might want to say"i'm glad he's f'n dead".
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:28 pm
In GOOD HOUSEKEEPING this month  (July 2013) on page 83 there is an article on the stress reducing effects of behaviors such as (#6 of 10 listed) using colorful language, including "the F-bomb" as the article calls it. What a coincident that this post pops out of a surprised wife's husband and is made topic of the month.
  Past Member
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:19 pm
If I spell the F word FUCT, as in you're FUCT...it's not really swearing right?

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:45 pm
mtnbiker,

I don't know if you remember the "Honeymooners" with Jackie Gleason and Art Carney. it is kinda like when Ralph said to Ed..."We're going bowling, but we're not going bowling."

X_
Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:23 am

Xerxes wrote:
mtnbiker,

I don't know if you remember the "Honeymooners" with Jackie Gleason and Art Carney.
X_

The Honeymooners was one of the very best television comedy series ever. The dialogue was always rich. Here's a great line preceding Ralph's usual threat to send Alice off to the moon:

Ralph:  What do you know about fishing? When have you ever caught anything?
Alice:  Fifteen years ago. I caught 300 pounds of blubber.

There was no need to use the "F" word then to get a laugh. All the laughs were earned the hard way...with talent.

PB
Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 am
well the f word is what a lot of people like to do as much as they can and while they can then it applies to your work habits and daily living so in many different ways so its really not a bad word
Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.