Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,170 members

Canadian Medical Coverage/us Coverage

Go to page: Previous  1, 2

Posted by eddie, on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:00 pm
Thanks Ed,  we had a Med student here from Canada, and of course I spoke with him about your health care system.  He told me that his mother had to come to the states to get a CT scan (she had severely elevated liver enzymes ) because she would have to wait at home up to six months for a scan.  perhaps he miss-spoke.  I believe we have a good healthcare system here that is going to be hurt by Obama-care.  I have worked in Healthcare since I was 18 years old.  I know many people who didn't pay their bills and they did not lose their homes or cars thank God! I have never known that to happen in this state to anyone and cannot find any evidence that this did occur, although if you try to get a loan it will affect your credit score.  The only reason I feel so strongly about this is that I believe in  competition without it, there is no reason to strive to improve, my life would be a lot easier if I was constantly making rounds questioning patients about their care, telling other nurses that light is on stop chatting and answer it, that patient needs something. My Mom use to always say be careful what you pray for you may get it!  It has been my experience with all the government agencies I have dealt with (not all but most of the time) they don't care and to put it bluntly they screw up.
eddie

Reply by gutenberg, on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:29 pm
I can't disagree with you eddie, sometimes its just serendipity that one gets the proper and timely care in the Canadian medical system. In my earlier post I was showing off about how quick I got my scan. A year later when the vascular surgeon operated on my aneurysm you wouldn't believe, (or maybe you would) but from that day onwards my life has turned into pure hell because of that surgeon, he caused me to lose my large bowel after two operations and another operation for the blockages. I try hard to forget the bastard that started all this as it was driving me nuts. I thank my luck for finding this site and hearing about others who had it a lot worse, Canadian and American. Ed

Reply by eddie, on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:37 am
I don't want a battle about who is best, we both have some great advanges and disavantages. What happened to you should not happen to anyone.  My biggest fear is the cuts and there will be big cuts you cannot pay if you have no money left, this was left out.  Also just to apply you need to complete 26 pages of documents.  And the people who control our taxes have full access to all your medical infromation.  They do'nt even know yet today what is in this law the pages stack from the floor to the ceiling! That's crazy and there is no tort reform.  Oh well I could go on and on but this is the USA's problem.  I want to keep my physician and choose my surgeon no play to lottery.
love ya!
eddie

Reply by eddie, on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:57 pm
when I was young jusy grad. from High School,  we never disagree becouse you always say I'm right or ignore the conversation like any smart man would do!
eddie

Reply by spade, on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:57 am
In the USA it is all about MONEY!!!! Our leaders could care less about the average worker,
or the seniors in this country...they are to busy getting kick backs from Special Interest Groups to do the right and moral thing.

Reply by gutenberg, on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:58 pm
I don't disagree with you but there has to be some middle ground and in a binder of no more than 25 pages, and anyone going over that limit gets a fine, like paying for the forest they had to cut down for their last try. Ed

Reply by Anoniem18, on Thu May 15, 2014 12:28 am

While the Canadian system is far from perfect and you get what you pay for, i.e western Europe with its higher taxes, I have very few complains about the health care system here. When I took my then wife to emergency due to severe cramps they wanted to give her some tylenol (acetominiphin) and send her home I would not allow that (big argument) and eventually she had an operation that day. Well my position has always been my healthcare is my responsibility and the system is there to support me. I had a CT scan within a couple of days, I had an MRI 3 hours after my surgeon requested it (but then he went to the MRI department personnaly). and I paid a bare minimum for all the medication and medical supplies after the operation.

On the other hand I am required to pay for all my ostomy supplies but the provincial governement (equal to state) pays $300 every six months, and of course it is all tax deductible, from income!

Hopefully you have income to deduct from. All in all not quite as good as say the UK but I think probably better than the USA. But then our taxes are higher.

Ed

Go to page: Previous  1, 2
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.