Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

Alcohol / Beer bad for someone waiting for ostomy Reversal?

Posted by Bigboi, on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm
Hello all this is my first post here, i am 25 years old, when i was 23, i was robbed and shot point blank in the stomach, i woke up with 37 staples and a colostomy bag, i was initially promised a reversal 4 months after my stomach wound healed up, the doctor lied to me so many times i really dont wanna go into it

i have taken all tests required to do a colostomy reversal and i am good to go, besides the fact i no longer have insurance, and the minimum they want to start is $27,000 Cash

some family members commented that i should have had a nutritionist tell me what i can and cannot eat, the nurses told me i could eat whatever i wanted, but i am not so sure, i know i cannot eat pre-processed foods / fast foods or anything Cheaply made, it doesnt settle well in my digestive tract and i get severe stomach/intestinal pain

And i am hearing too many different opinions about Drinking beer/alcohol, someones saying i cannot get a reversal if i continue drinking, others say it wont affect me, but the doctors didnt tell me Anything, could anyone clarify my concerns?
Reply by tudibird, on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:12 am
I'm only 3 months out since having an ileostomy but I can tell you the docs may try to "scare you" about drinking.  My ostomy nurse, however, actually suggested I have a glass of wine in the evening to help me "cope" with my new stoma.  I was a bit of a wreck at first.  Now that I'm no longer a "newbie" I enjoy a vodka and cranberry every now and then.  I can tell you, however, that the alcohol goes through you a lot faster and I can not drink at all like I once did (I used to have 2 drinks no problem - I am now a 1 drink person).  Enjoy in moderation.  I'm also being considered for a reversal but I must "pass" several tests before they will consider it.  Hoping I do as well as you did.
Reply by Bigboi, on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:56 am
Upon waking up from 8 hours of surgery with the 37 staples and colostomy, i was pretty much given the run around about EVERYTHING, it was Very very frustrating, doctors would speak to me in medical lingo and id be totally lost, ive never had any health problems and never really been to the hospital for anything at all... Ostomy nurse didnt tell me much, told me i could eat what i wanted, but that Drinking wasnt such a good idea. but beyond that, i was left to figure out everything on my own

I used to be a HEAVY drinker before the incident occurred in my life, I initially didnt drink for about 6 months, then once the colostomy caused me and my childrens mother to seperate due to her not understanding me, She was okay with my colostomy, but she never took the time to understand how greatly if affected me, so we went our separate ways and i began drinking a little bit here and there, now im drinking more..

The ostomy nurse told me as time goes on that i would get used to the colostomy and be more relaxed about the situation, but NO, sorry, its backwards for me, the longer i have this thing, the greater its effect is on my mentality, i am 25 years old, i have lost over 70lbs since ive been single Just by cutting out soda and junk/fast foods.
Reply by sfgiantsfan, on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 am
Have you thought about attending a support group in your area? I have not had alcohol since I have had my ostomy. So I can't help you with that! I wish you luck!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 am
Here's my personal view on the alcohol subject...

I drink. I drink beer. I drink beer almost daily! I drank before my urostomy surgery and I continued to drink after the surgery. The biggest drawback I found was that since alcohol makes you pee so much, my bag fills up 10 times faster than if I'm not drinking. In fact I find myself having to empty my bag every few minutes after I've had 5 or 6 beers! What's even worse is that once I fall asleep, the trouble really starts! Yep, my bag fills up and more often than not, springs a leak once it's full to the seams. The urine keeps coming, but has no place to go, so it forces a leak from the seal on my skin. The result is a huge wet area in my bed.

So, I can't comment about a colostomy, but I would suggest to anyone with a urostomy to get a night bag that hooks to your bed if you're going to drink. Other than my bag filling up faster than I can keep up with it, I've not experienced ANY troubles by drinking.

Good luck!
Reply by cornwallp, on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:47 pm
Hi, Sorry to hear about your shooting. Sadly not much is said in the news about the after effects of shootings and stabbings - simple wounds can have such devastating effects.  

The nurses are right about eating as normal - Nutrition is not so critical with you as you are not in recovery from cancer or any other disease,  but it is best to keep away from processed and fast food - highly processed food is not good - even for completely healthy people.   If you have difficulty eating fresh food, try putting some through a food processor - this may make it more digestible.

Alcohol does seriously affect the body's immune system and healing process - so it is best to restrict you intake of alcohol, especially if you are heading for another operation - same goes for smoking and other non-prescribed drug use.

Best not to allow any person to dismiss your feelings and poor sense of well being.  We have a few good cancer charities here in the UK that are very helpful, but I don't know what the situation is in the US.  Keep pushing for help - it's important and don't give up.

You never know what the future may bring.  Every blessing,  Paul

Last edited by cornwallp on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
maf
Reply by maf, on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:26 pm
HI. i am sorry about your troubles. I just want to suggest that you can get the reversal in Argentina. You will not be charged more that 5000 us. and care here is excellent. You are welcome to send me email **** I can ask my doctor who did my colostomy about the price of your reversal

REgards,

mary
Reply by Bigboi, on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:42 am
I not only had the Colostomy to deal with, But because i had an operation at birth for a VP shunt in my head, i was at risk for meningitis, i was sent to a hospital 140 miles away to be tested for meningitis as i was a special case

i kept telling the doctors something was wrong, but they said it was just my intestines healing, and i clearly explained "i feel the pain of my intestines, but theres something else there causing pressure" After screaming in pain and scaring a few nurses that woke me up, they sent me for some tests and discovered i had a pocket of fluid in my abdomen which was building up, causing all of my nerves from my waist down to hurt beyond the point where i would scream like a girl... all i can say is, it felt like being hit in my jewels with a baseball bat...

i was rushed to get a JP Pump into my abdomen to relieve the pressure, doctors hooked me up to an IV, then told me "just relax, you wont feel a thing" and they hit me with some drug that made me super woosey and kinda out of it, but they went to insert the Giant needle into me and given its location, it felt like everything below my waist got smashed by an elephant, so i Kicked him and knocked him off of me.. he asks "Why did you kick me, i told you to be still!!" i said "Yeah, and u told me i wouldnt feel anything!!!"

maf wrote:
HI. i am sorry about your troubles. I just want to suggest that you can get the reversal in Argentina. You will not be charged more that 5000 us. and care here is excellent. You are welcome to send me email **** I can ask my doctor who did my colostomy about the price of your reversal

REgards,

mary
it seems Emails are not allowed to be posted, and i cant PM you either
Reply by PatinPickering, on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:24 pm
Bigboi ... I've had a colostomy * for over 20 years:  eat and drink what you want just know that some things will "cost you" (eg. deep sleep, a little embarrassment, etc.).  The family recommendation is a good one.  We used a dietician and her advice has been fundamental to my approach.  

The foods which gave you "difficulty" before the surgery (eg. carbonated drinks causing gas; cabbage/nuts being difficult to digest; Mexican food ... you get the picture) will certainly cause you grief with an ostomy.  You need to find your old sense of humour and get through what you'll find (after-the-fact) are pretty unimportant in the overall scheme of things.

* The reason for my surgery:  colon cancer.  I'm still thinking that I could have just as easily been, "...on the other side of the grass..." because you know what cancer can do to you! I have some issues with "survivors guilt" (where people diagnosed around the time of my surgery didn't make it) and I have some allergies (related to the adhesives).  BUT, I walked my daughter down the isle, I babysit the grandchildren, AND, I've made it through 40 years of marriage!!!

FYI - I'm Canadian, so, I cannot relate to having to pay a dime for such surgeries!!

Do your own research on the reversal and, if you don't like what your doctors say, find a new doctor.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.