Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,175 members

Serious Questions

Posted by iMacG5, on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Why isn’t the number 11 pronounced onety-one?

If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea…does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?

If people from Poland are called Poles, then why aren’t people from Holland called Holes?

Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist, but a person who drives a race car is not called a racist?

If it’s true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, then doesn’t it follow that

electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?

What hair color do they put on the driver’s licenses of bald men?

I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks, so I wondered what do Chinese mothers use, toothpicks?

Why do they put pictures of criminals up in the Post Office? What are we supposed to do, write to them? Why don’t they just put their pictures on the postage stamps so the mailmen can look for them while they deliver the mail?

Whatever happened to Preparations A through G? 

You'll be graded on your answers.

Mike

Reply by moonshine, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:07 am

why is a pair of jeans a pair when there is really only 1 piece of clothing when a pair of socks has 2 pieces? 

Reply by moonshine, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:23 am

you got me going now..............why does someone say they have to take a sh*t.........when they are really leaving one

Reply by Durrrrl34, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:43 am

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat??

Reply by moonshine, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:49 am

hannibal lecter

Reply by moonshine, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:52 am

why is there a right and a left shoe when socks can go either way

Reply by ChrisP, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:31 pm

If salt is the oldest food preservative known to man, and has existed underground in a pristine state for millions of years......

.....why does the salt in the supermarket have a 'best before' date?

Reply by LadyHope, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:43 pm

Okay...have one for all of you.  If the plural of ant is ants; and the plural of bird is birds; why is the plural of deer deer not deers?  If can't figure this one out.  LH

Reply by moonshine, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:58 pm

good one................if you have 1 goldfish you have a fish...if you have 2 goldfish - you still have fish.................i think i remember once reading if there are different types or schools or fish you would say fishes............maybe someone with a smart phone can find that fact info

Reply by moonshine, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:58 pm

good one................if you have 1 goldfish you have a fish...if you have 2 goldfish - you still have fish.................i think i remember once reading if there are different types or schools or fish you would say fishes............maybe someone with a smart phone can find that fact info

Reply by moonshine, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:04 pm
this is long and technical - but chrisp - you asked-------   Fortified table salt

Some table salt sold for consumption contain additives which address a variety of health concerns, especially in the developing world. The identities and amounts of additives vary widely from country to country. Iodine is an important micronutrient for humans, and a deficiencyof the element can cause lowered production of thyroxine (hypothyroidism) and enlargement of the thyroid gland (endemic goitre) in adults or cretinism in children.[31] Iodized salt has been used to correct these conditions since 1924[32] and consists of table salt mixed with a minute amount of potassium iodide,sodium iodide or sodium iodate. A small amount of dextrose may also be added to stabilize the iodine.[33] Iodine deficiency affects about two billion people around the world and is the leading preventable cause of mental retardation.[34] Iodized table salt has significantly reduced disorders of iodine deficiency in countries where it is used.[35]

The amount of iodine and the specific iodine compound added to salt varies from country to country. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends [21 CFR 101.9 (c)(Cool(iv)] 150 micrograms of iodine per day for both men and women. US iodized salt contains 46–77 ppm (parts per million), whereas in the UK the iodine content of iodized salt is recommended to be 10–22 ppm.[36]

Sodium ferrocyanide, also known as yellow prussiate of soda, is sometimes added to salt as an anticaking agent. The additive is considered safe for human consumption.[37][38]Such anti-caking agents have been added since at least 1911 when magnesium carbonate was first added to salt to make it flow more freely.[39] The safety of sodium ferrocyanide as a food additive was found to be provisionally acceptable by the Committee on Toxicity in 1988.[37] Other anticaking agents sometimes used include tricalcium phosphatecalcium or magnesium carbonates, fatty acid salts (acid salts), magnesium oxidesilicon dioxidecalcium silicate, sodium aluminosilicate and calcium aluminosilicate. Both the European Union and the United States Food and Drug Administration permitted the use of aluminium in the latter two compounds.[40]

In "doubly fortified salt", both iodide and iron salts are added. The latter alleviates iron deficiency anaemia, which interferes with the mental development of an estimated 40% of infants in the developing world. A typical iron source is ferrous fumarate.[41] Another additive, especially important for pregnant women, is folic acid (vitamin B9), which gives the table salt a yellow color. Folic acid helps prevent neural tube defects and anaemia, which affect young mothers, especially in developing countries.[41]

A lack of fluorine in the diet is the cause of a greatly increased incidence of dental caries.[42] Fluoride salts can be added to table salt with the goal of reducing tooth decay, especially in countries that have not benefited from fluoridated toothpastes and fluoridated water. The practice is more common in some European countries where water fluoridation is not carried out. In France, 35% of the table salt sold contains added sodium fluoride.[41]

Reply by moonshine, on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Oh yeah - do we all really jump in the shower?.....I usually step into the shower.....do I really run to the store...............hell no....i really drive 

Reply by ChrisP, on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:04 am

Well moonshine, I am truly wondermazed by your detailed explanation. If salt has all these good things added to it, why are we then told to avoid it like the plague?

Reply by LadyHope, on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:24 am

I have another one....when something is really funny, why do people say... They were laughing their heads off....really?

Reply by Durrrrl34, on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:34 am

And if goose is geese, why isn't moose meese?

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.