Meet and talk to 20,105 OstoMates

Hernia?

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:02 pm

how do you know if you have a hernia?  are they all painful?  what causes it exactly?

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:07 pm

A hernia doesn't have to be painful, but it can be. Many people with ostomies will get one because the abdominal muscles have been weakened from the surgery. You now have a hole in that lining and are really succespatble to weakening it further. There will be a bulge in the area around your ostomy site and the stoma itself could get bigger as the muscles weaken. For people with a colostomy, stool may often pancake at your stoma since there is less control to expel.

Surgery or a hernia belt designed for ostomies are 2 corrective choices.

A belt will help push the hernia back and should alleviate the pancaking. Because the belt constricts your abdomen, it will also have a slimming effect (bonus). It will not make the hernia go away, but it will aid in slowing the hernia from getting worse.

Surgery is a major option that has many side effects to consider.

I have just purchased a belt and will give it a year before I even consider surgery. I have been referred back to the surgeon who performed my operation. I had an ET nurse diagnose my hernia, who in turn rec'd the belt before I try the surgical route.

So today is the 1st day I wear another appliance and hope for the best!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:50 pm

thanxandy

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:00 pm

what is pancaking?

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.