Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,247 members

Help in quitting smoking

Posted by Pooter, on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:34 pm

I quit smoking 15 years ago. It was the hardest habit I ever had to quit. It took 2 tries. This Is how I did It. I did the patch. The patch has 3 different nicotine levels. I did 2 levels. The patch cost as much as the cigarets. I now say that you can put a bandage on and pretend it is a patch. It is all will power. Good luck. YOU CAN DO IT.

Reply by iMacG5, on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 pm

I need to clarify something. I stated earlier that I quit, just like that. Boy, that could’ve been very misleading. It was the most difficult thing I ever did. I can’t think of anyone for whom quitting was easy except my old boss. He told me there was nothing to it. He quit hundreds of times.
Mike

Reply by DonBrown1943, on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:50 pm

I am an ex-smoker, but let me make an exception. I never was addicted to cigarettes because I smoked only 1 or 2 per month. However, I smoked a pipe almost constantly. I smoked at least one fat ($2 each) cigar a day, sometimes more. I was spending the equivalent of three packs a day and getting equivalent nicotine of about 2 packs. But there was no paper in the cigar and no cigarette tobacco ever. Pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco is a completely different product, much less addictive. That's what all pipe smokers say and believe. Don't believe it. After 30 years of smoking, I developed lung cancer in 1996 and had the right middle lobe of my lung removed. The next year I had my first heart attack at age 54. I quit smoking the day before my cancer operation. I have never smoked anything since then. By the time I could open a spring-closed door with my right arm without screaming or crying, I never wanted tobacco in any form again. Eight years ago I was diagnosed with COPD, which can be slowed in its advance but never reversed. I had my second last year during my emergency colostomy surgery. I really enjoyed those pipes and cigars, but if I had known at 24 what I learned at 54, I would never have started. I sorry I can't help you quit, but truly your own motivation is the only thing that will get you through. My next-door neighbor had COPD so bad that he was on oxygen 24 hours a day and saying "how are you" would leave him gasping for breath for several minutes. He still did not quit, even in spite of the oxygen and fire risk until the very day he died. He didn't really want to quit in spite of everything, so he didn't really try. For all my friends here on the forum or anywhere else, I don't really want to be preaching at you, but I don't want you to go through what I went through and am still feeling today.

Reply by countyclare, on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:54 pm

The only effective way to quit smoking cigarettes is to do it cold turkey. Cessation classes and other methods simply do not work.

Once you have several smokeless weeks, it will get easier.

Quitting smoking is the best thing you will ever do.

You will live longer and will feel much better.

I've been through this....

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:32 pm

To stop smokin was probably the most difficult thing I have ever done! My Grandfather, at seven and eight would say”You want a puff”? What kid would say no! By the time I was 14 or 15 I was smoking a pack a day and my Mother actually started buying my cigarettes on base. Of course I remember them being just $2.31 per carton! Imagine that! Once I wanted to stop, I tried several of the current treatments, Nicotine gum, patches then the antidepressant that helps! The only thing that helped me was my will to do it. None of the Pt her stuff seems to work and if you substitute one habit for another, you are no better off!  It was difficult but once you make up your mind, that is half the battle. I quit many times before the final time15 years ago. I started back one because I would like to be a social smoker but that it not possible! I thought I could smoke just one, had myself convinced I could do that but I smoke one the first day and it hurt my throat so bad but the second went down easier. Before you know it, you are back to a pack a day and beating yourself up for failing! You have to decide to stop, no one can tell you to do it! We are strong and there’s is no stopping us once our mind is made up! 

Good luck, I wish you success!

puppyluv

Reply by HenryM, on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:57 pm

I used to smoke 3 packs a day and enjoyed it.  One day I got smoke in my 2-year old daughter's face and she said:  "Oh, Papa, that's phooey."  I realized that it was not only bad for me but for those around me as well.  I decided that i was a non-smoker starting that very day.  I haven't had one since.  That was in 1977.  It's not just lung cancer that you have to worry about.  Smoking negatively impacts everything in your body, and you really do not want to suffer and die from what it does to you over time.  Plus, once you get thru the first couple of months, you'll notice how much better you feel, from the moment you get up in the morning.  Also, think of the money you'll save.  When I quit, a pack only cost 50 cents.   Now it's ridiculously expensive and, I've noticed, most people who don't quit are the ones who can least afford it.  Make a decision and stick with it.  You'll beel so much better, I promise.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.