Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,170 members

When Were People Able To Sit Safely After Anus/rectum Removal Proctectomy.

Posted by Rosherau, on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi guys, 

Just wondering how long it took some people to recover from an anus rectum removal protectomy before they were able to sit safely?

Its been 2 months now post op and i still can not sit, i ahve heard it has taken some people up to 6 years for the wound to close up.

I had myne stitched up, and have been avoiding sitting unless 100% necessary, but still not even close to being able to sit.

Oh also, able to submerge them selves into a bath as well?

Thanks

Reply by xnine, on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:59 am

You should be healed by now and the incision closed. I used a cushion for a few months. I am not to bad now 3years later but can not sit on hard chairs for a long period. Long plane flights or car rides I can handle. I did have problems in the beginning by using to thick of a pad when in was healing. When I switched to a thinner bandage/pad it rook pressure off the incision and was much more comfortable.

As for a bath once your incision is closed go ahead. Lay down some cloths or towel for some added comfort.

Reply by Rosherau, on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Great thanks, 

Ill give my self a few more weeks, as i still feel that it is weak, if i bend over i feel the scarring and stretchig of it and it still bleeds a tiny bit.

Reply by Immarsh, on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:19 am

Hi,   It was more than 50+ years ago for me, but I do remember the first 3 months being quite difficult. I think it took that long for the incision to heal, but the Pain ( or phantom pain) lasted a lot longer.    I sat right away, before the stitches were out, but only on soft cushioned seats.    I also rremember being told to soak ( my bottom) in a hot bath.  I was only 15, and anxious to get back to real life, so I think I pushed my doctors who let me do what I felt comfortable doing.   EVentually, I was able to sit on a bike seat again ( about a year later) although that was never really comfortable.   I  did go horseback riding.....fell while learning to ice skate and ski, and didn't pay much attention to any discomfort I felt.   After I married and became pregnant, I felt the scar tissue stretching which wasn't so pleasant.   But anything was better than the years I spent running to the Bathroom with UC>     Best luck    Marsha...

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.