Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
ConvaTec - request sample
ConvaTec - Search All Things Ostomy
Meet and talk to 19,113 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,113 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

Two weeks post surgery from acute Diverticulitis. Looking for some support/information.

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
  Past Member
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 pm

HI ALL,

Had an attack over this past Christmas- which landed me in the hospital on the 27th.  By the 29th I had surgery due to my Scans showing serveral perfrations that the antibiotics couldnt settle down.  I'm 49 year's old and for the most part a healthy active man.  Granted I drank, smoked more cigars then I should have but that's another story at this point.  Had a great surgeon and have had very few issues being almost three weeks removed from the procedure.  Due to the timing of the surgery they had to put a ostomy bag on me.  This was very hard to accept.  If I could have waited two months and had my body heal alittle then I would still have done the surgery but would not need the bag.  However they had no choice at the time so the bag was required to give my body time to heal.  

I came across this site and found it helpful to read and learn.  My heart goes out to the people that seem to have it worse then me and Im trying not to get sad or feed my fear but it is hard.  I'm due to have my "reconnect" surgery done the end of March. So basically three months from the time of my surgery until my corrective surgery.  Hoping to hear from anyone that may had the same time line and what they did during that three months.  I have been walking, and eating very healthy thus far.  Any tips to give me the best chances going into my next procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Steve

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello sch. 

You don't say what your 'attack' was! I have a permanent colostomy so cannot advise on timeline etc. However, I do wish you well for you reconnection and hope that you don't have any problems in future.  

Best wishes 

Bill

Past Member
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:55 pm

My mistake.  I had Diverticulitis attack.  Looking back now I realize a few other times over the past two years I had the same issues just not as severe as the attack that made me go to the hospital. 

Many Thanks to your reply.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Hey!  I'm not the type of person you're looking for to reply to you... I don't know what to tell you to do to prepare for yr reversal... BUT... I'm writing you because your situation mirrors mine... except mine was at the end of 2016, and my emergency surgery happened on the 28th... but the whole sick over Christmas thing!  I hear ya!  I was sick half the month of December and ended up with a bag. 

Im 36 and I've had it for over a year now ( I included a picture of my bagiversary cake... figured you might get a little chuckle out of it!)  It's really not that bad... and actually has its conveniences if you think about it!  The TIME alone on the toilet (and anyone with stomach issues KNOWS what its like to spend a lot of time on the toilet!!)  The time it saves... the multi - taskng we can do!!  Who can check in a client while poopin'??  THIS girl can!!!  Who else in my office can say that?  No one, that's who!!  Smile  So see... not that bad!

I make jokes about it all the time,  and also tell shit bag stories... to anyone who'll. listen... just the crazy antics and situations this bag puts us in sometimes!

That's, I guess,  how i deal with it... my friends are urging me to write a book... complete with illustrations... to shead some light on this life saving procedure,  and to put a little humor in it!  Would be a good gift for a new ostomate in the hospital ... to know some things to expect... and to know  it's OK to shit all over yourself... ya just gotta clean it up, and move along! Smile  shit happens, right??

Keep yr chin up!  Yr reversal will be here before you know it!  And just remember,  its not that bad!  Smile

-Brenna

Past Member
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Brenna, 

You are keeping it real that's for sure.  Made me smile which is alway good medicine!!

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:19 am

Hi Steve !! Sorry that you are going through this but also glad that you have this site and those of us that have been through either the same situation or even a totally different one that are on here with a Bag to HELP YOU GET THROUGH IT !! I am also 49 yrs old and will be 50 on the 29th of this month. I had Ulcerative Colitis at the age of 13 that turned it to Colon Cancer when I was 28 and they removed my entire colon and gave what you call a J-Pouch. I came out of 24 hour recovery on my 29th Birthday with my 1st. ileostomy. I had a stoma nurse explain things to me but then I was pretty much alone in a small town not knowing anybody with a Ostomy and we didn't have the HELP of Google at that time so I had to learn the VERY HARD WAY. I will tell you a few things that I have learned that may help you. #1 Always measure your new stoma and cut you bag exactly that size or even just a tiny bit smaller because if you get the skin irritation around the stoma it HURTS. #2 This may Help lots of others that have problems with their bag leaking and coming loose. I use a Pink Tape called Parma - Type that I cut and put around all of the edges of my bag to HELP keep it on and it has been a LIFE SAVER for me. #3 I don't use any skin adhesive at all because it used to irritate my skin and it has helped me out. I don't want to tell you NOT to use it because it may help you but if you get irritation around your stoma then it BURNS BAD to even touch it with the skin adhesive. I hope that some of this will help you and others who read it. I had to wait 7 months before they did my reversal and I did pretty good for years and then started getting abscesses with fistulas and had numerous surgeries and ended up with a permanent Ileostomy about 12 yrs ago. I wish you the BEST MY FRIEND and Hope that you get your bag off and can keep it off 👍😁

Past Member
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am

EXTREMLY GRATEFUL- for your thoughts and tips.  This website and the efforts of the people to share stories is a real Godsend. Two childern in college and one is eight grade my life has always been worring about them etc.  Never had an issue other then old sports injuries from childhood.  I'm in awe reading the strength, will, and kindness from people like yourself.  Bless you my man.

Have a great day...

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:29 am

Bless You my Brother !! You have already been through the HARD PART and if you keep up with the knowledge and tips that you learn from here then you will get through this as Good as it can be on you. The reversal is a Breeze compared to what you have been through and then you can get to a Normal Life with an understanding and Appreciation of not having to live the rest of your Life with a Bag like some of us. God Bless You in all of your Recoveries and we are here if you have any more questions or just want to Vent 👍☺

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi Steve,

I too had acute diverticulitis, colorectal surgery (7 inches removed) and due to the severity of the infection, I had to have an ileostomy as well. Surgery was 11/30 and timeline is the same, 3 months. I'm struggling quite a bit. So glad I found this forum. Just wanted to drop a note and let you know I'm going through a very similar experience! Cheers! 

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi Steve.  I hope all goes well for you, and better than it went fot me.  My doctor waited 8 months to due my reconection.  Every thing went well for me in the hospital, and 3 days at home, and then all hell broke loose.  I had about 6 inches of large bowel left, but the whole works went bad because there was not enough blood flow at the incission, and it went gangorine. { sooy about my spelling }  But you are right it is hard to get use to when it is sudden.  I am very lucky that i have a loving family, and a super supporting wife.  Biel;eve it or not, I am still learning things, but I have learned a lot.  Wishing you all the best:

Raydog:

Past Member
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:51 am

GOOD MORNING TO ALL.

I have my Colonoscopy scheduled for Feb 22nd and a soft date of March 23 for my recsection procedure.  As I said before- acute attack of Diverticulitis which had me in surgery 12/29/17.  Just wanted to thank everybody again on this site.  Truly special people.  For most on the site I cant offer tips etc becuase I'm a "newbie".  But I can say "Bless You".  To the few that may be even newer then me and have fallen into something like my story.  I will pay it forward the best I can to help you.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Steve,

Your situation is very similar to mine.  In December of 2016 I suffered severe diverticulitis that required emergency surgery  to remove my colon.  I spent 16 days in the hospital (also spent Christmas there) I was discharged with an ostomy bag.  Two days later I was back in the hospital with severe dehydration.  Spent another 4 days in the hospital.

Living with the ostomy was difficult for me, I never was able to get the corrrect fit so I had problems with leakage which also caused painful skin irriatation.  I didn't want to leave the house for fear of leaking.

In March of 2017, my surgeon said I was ready for the reversal surgery,  My immediate reaction was excitement but became reluctant after reading the horror stories here and on other websites about the horrible problems people had after the reversal.  Some even saying that they wish they would not have had the reversal done.  I became very hesitant about having the surgery, to the point of telling my surgeion that would stay with the bag.  He talked to me about many of his patients and that yes, some had problems but the majority were glad they the procedure preformed.  I decided to go ahead with the surgery.

On April 16, 2017 I had the reversal surgery.  Everything started working on its own the next day. They were ready let me go home the second day after the surgery but I had some other issues unrelated to the reversal that required me to stay an additional two days.  I am very happy I had the procedure done.  I have had no problems at all, I feel great.  I am pretty much on the same schedule as I was before the whoe ordeal.  I travel, work, go out for dinner, have a few beers, etc.  Basically back to my old self.

I hope myexperience helps you or someone else in the same situation feel a little mor comfortable about having the reversal.  It seems most of the posts on sites like this are negative.  I wanted to write to show that there are good experiences and outcomes.  

Good Luck and God Bless

Jim

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks for your reply to this post Jim. It is always great to hear stories of things working out right for people.  One of the problems with a site like this is when folks who get better don't need the site anymore and we don't hear as many success stories as those where things go wrong.

Best wishes

Bill 

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:07 pm
Hey Sch, I'm so impressed with your stated intentions. Lots of folks here continue helping others on a regular basis and we can only benefit from those like you in the future.
Respectfully,
Mike
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:40 pm

By the way, Steve, you DID help.  Even some of us old time ostomates got to read about other's experiences while sharing in some healthy attitudes.  Anyone capable of eliciting helpful comments from others is a valuable asset here and I thank you for that.  Intentions, perceptions and feelings can create a bundle of optimism, hope and improved quality of life for those who pay attention with open minds.

Respectfully,

Mike 

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.