ConvaTec - EASE Strips
ConvaTec - Search All Things Ostomy
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Meet and talk to 19,113 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,113 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

Dating someone herpes

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am

Hi I am 34 years old and have colitis (I have a colostomy bag) I have recently become interested in a woman who told me she has genital herpes or HSV2. She takes suppressive therapy and I have done researcb and found that there is a 1% chance of transmission when precautions are taken. If we were to become intimate and if by some chance I happened to catch it, would it be a risk for my health?

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am

Hello sailormoon88.  It's good that she has informed you of her condition so that you can make your decisions based on sound information. It might be worth bearing in mind that whatever we do in life, there will be some risk attached at some stage. Contracting Herpes and many other diseases, is one of those risks we all face daily and do not really think about it too much until if or when it happens. If you are concerned , it might pay to look up the symptoms and see if this is something that you would prefer to try to avoid altogether. Personally, I can think of many other things I WOULD RATHER NOT HAVE and loneliness is one of them.

Best wishes

Bill 

Past Member
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 am

No expert but if you feel the love go for it. One it’s not a deadly disease and two love comes but maybe once in your life. Go for it. Good luck to you both. 

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:20 pm
Bill wrote:

Hello sailormoon88.  It's good that she has informed you of her condition so that you can make your decisions based on sound information. It might be worth bearing in mind that whatever we do in life, there will be some risk attached at some stage. Contracting Herpes and many other diseases, is one of those risks we all face daily and do not really think about it too much until if or when it happens. If you are concerned , it might pay to look up the symptoms and see if this is something that you would prefer to try to avoid altogether. Personally, I can think of many other things I WOULD RATHER NOT HAVE and loneliness is one of them.

Best wishes

Bill 

That'a very true, thank you for replying. Do you think it would cause complications with my health? I know it's a skin conditiln but I was just wondering

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:20 pm
tomoc wrote:

No expert but if you feel the love go for it. One it’s not a deadly disease and two love comes but maybe once in your life. Go for it. Good luck to you both. 

Thanks for replying, I agree with you!

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:14 pm

Sailormoo88,

My roomate of two years contracted herpes from a young man returning from duty in the Phillipines.  SHE SUFFERED HORRIBLY.  The blisters sealed her shut completely, and back in the 70's when this happened, treatments were few and far between.  Today there are different medicines, but if I'm not mistaken, acyclovir is still the go to treatment.  She has had a number of outbreaks over the years, and is always at risk. Herpes is extremely contagious.  You can prevent contamination by using a condom, but sexual intercourse should NOT happen when there is an active flairup.  If there are open blisters or sores, they should NEVER be touched.  If there is no "current" outbreak, betadine is a good cleanser, but again, to be safe, protection is NECESSARY in the form of a condom.

Peace

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.