Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,954 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,954 OstoMates.

When Illness Visits Your Child

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:13 pm

hi everyone, I have not been online much lately the latter part of 2018 was rough. You have all probably seen the add for St Jude hospital. When your child is diagnosed with cancer ......... Well my oldest son was diagnosed with colon cancer 2 days before Thanksgiving. Out of the blue no symptoms other than a severe attack of constipation. They did exploratory surgery and there it was! They warned before surgery that depending on what they found he might need a temp. Colostomy. It was like a dagger to my heart. Yes I have lived with Rosie since 2014 and we are fine she is MY normal, but it was not something I wanted for my 47 year old son. Please I do not mean to offend anyone but I think most of us feel that we deal with it but it isn't what we would want for a loved one. Thank God and an excellent surgeon he was able to remove the tumor and respect the colon, he is currently undergoing preventative chemo. And doing pretty good.Thanks for listening, I hope and pray you are all well. I am just short of my 5 year mark hopefully my newest round of scans are clear. I feel fine but it is an anxious time until they tell you you are fine.

sincerely Rosiesmom aka Gail

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Gail,

Sorry to hear of your Son’s dx. Sounds like he has been lucky so far and hopefully chemo will take care of any cancer that is left after surgery! It is tough enough when it is us but when our family members are involved, it is tougher! Especially children! Doesn’t matter how old they are! 

Hope all goes well for him! 

Puppy

Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Accessories
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:55 am

Hi Gail.  Your post was a really sad one to read.  I'm so glad your son seems to be doing well, though.  We can deal with things that go wrong with ourselves, but when it's your child, it's a whole different ballgame.  Much harder.  You have my compassion and my hopes that everything will be okay for your son....and for you!  Good luck on your next scan!

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks to all, this site is a blessing as everyone so gets what we all live with daily. Your good thoughts for my son are greatly appreciated. Will keep you updated take care. 

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:21 pm

I'm so sorry you and your son are going though this time. My 33 year old son passed away on December 17th last year.   I never thought that my child would die before me and it has been so hard.  I can relate to your feelings on this.  I hope and pray that your boy will beat this and be right as rain very soon.  Please keep us informed.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:48 am

I am so very sorry for your terrible loss. I was so terrified when my son was hospitalized in December the thought of loosing him was unbearable, that you would take the time to reach out to me regarding him whilst dealing with your lossspeaks volumes of your compassion, kindness and most of all your strength. Thank you. With you as his Mom your son must have been special indeed, this is probably why the good Lord delivered him into your care to begin with. I pray that your faith and family will continue to be your rock. Please know I am thinking of you. God Bless.

Very Sincerely Gail.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:22 am

Thank you! 😊

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Best wishes for your son. I think it is very hard when we can't do anything to help but we do know our Father in heaven is always in control. I will say a prayer for you and your family.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.