Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,310 members

Metastasis

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:35 am

Hello everybody,

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer about 2 years ago.  I went through the radiation, chemo and surgery.  I had my first annual CT scan a couple of weeks ago and it was discovered that the cancer had come back and metasticized into multiple nodules in my lungs.  I was given a 5 year survival rate of approximately 13%. No surgery or radiation is going to be done at this point.  Just chemo.

Has anyone out there had rectal cancer metasticise into their lungs or other organs?  How was it treated and how are you doing?

I would very much welcome any positive feedback from anyone who has gone through this kind of cancer.    I feel like I've been given a death sentence and frankly, I'm pretty scared.  I don't mind admitting that, especially on this site.  I'm sure some of you have been in my place and hopefully, have beaten it.  Hoping to hear from you.

Reply by soulscope, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:34 am

I have quarter teaspoon of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and eighth of a teaspoon of ceyenne pepper mixed with filtered tap water (half glass) every day, its meant to be Anti Cancer, but there's a whole lot of other Anti Cancer stuff on Inet, you could double what I do, investigate what's out there. My base (after cancer with me) is that Cancer Loves Acidic Blood, up your immune system strength and keep your blood alkaline (opposite to acidic), hope to  starve that cancer and your immune system to kill it off. Also 1 half tablespoon of cyder vinegar every day (I have) and 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic, you could double what I do, this to help your immune system for fighting. Also Cod Liver Oil, I have one big cap, you could double what I do - immune system boost. Primarily keep your blood away from being acidic and your immune system strong as can. Yahweh Bless.

Reply by soulscope, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:37 am

Also keep up your Vitamin C, its a natural antioxidant, you can't have too much Vit C.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:41 am

Thank you soulscope.  I will most defnitely check out the natural fixes on the Internet.  I need all the help I can get.  I'll try those things.  They couldnlt hurt!

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:42 am

Hey my friend, 

Be sure to ask your Dr. About targeted therapy’s (immunotherapy). Much easier to do! Don’t let them limit your treatment.(Second opinion) Surgery for the large node only may be an option if the smaller ones are taken out of the picture by chemo. Mine was not Rectal but still Mets to the lung and had chemo that took care of all but the large one and I had it removed surgically then radiation. 10 years ago and it has not come back! Survival rate goes to to 40%. Lots better odds! New chemo regimens are approved by the FDA every day! There are so many out there for rectal! If one does does not respond to your cancer, another will! 

Take care, 

Candy

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks Candy,

I did ask the doctor yesterday about biotics given with the chemo and she said that yes, she was planning to do that.  They're still doing tests on the sample to determine the exact markers, etc.

She also mentioned that if the chemo takes a lot of the nodules away, she would consider radiation at that point..

I might mention surgery too, if it gets to that point.  I'm hoping, Candy, and I'm not ready to give up yet.  The answer is out there.  Right?  Right!  Thank you for your support.  You're a good friend.

Linda

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 am

Awesome, see there is a lot of options! I know you will find the right one and go for it! That PD-1 marker will determine if you can have targeted therapy! Should not take too long to find out! Sounds as if the pathology dept in your hospital has it together and are quick in getting results! 

Candy

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:27 pm

I'll mention the PD marker next time I see her.  I would imagine they are testing for it...but I'll mention it anyway.  You never know....  Thanks Puppy.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:53 pm

Any time sweet lady ! 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Just another thought too! Check to see what Clinical trials there may me available. I had a patient told that all options were done and then a clinical trial comes up and the trial drug was the answer and been in remission for over a year already! 

Reply by Bagface, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Weirdnewlife, I hear so often stories of people given the doom and gloom diagnoses who have exceeded the doctors' predictions. They're constantly coming up with new treatments. I just want to offer you my support. I have a pretty good understanding of your fear, as I came very close to dying a few months ago. Bless you.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks Puppy,

I've thought of that too.  The Mayo Clinic is about 200 miles or so from Fargo.  I've already contacted them about a second opinion, should I feel that I need one.  I don't like the idea of being a guinea pig very much, but if that's the only option left, I may do that.  I haven't totally given up yet.  Not yet.... Thank you for being there for me.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Thank you so much, Bagface, for your support.  You sound like you certainly do know about being scared...  I hope that whatever happened to you has worked itself out and you're fine now.  If you ever need any support, I'll try to be here for you too.  Bless you as well.

Reply by Onedayatatime, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi.  I was told recently that a colon tumor that's metatised to your lung can be cured.  I would seek another opinion.  I have one that metastasized into my lung.  Did sbrt radiation and now will do 12 iv chemo treatments. Stay strong.  My prayers are with you 

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:16 am

Hi Onedayatatime,  You are in the same situation I'm in?  Wow.   Please message me.  I'd love to talk to you.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.