Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,247 members

Sofia's Story

Posted by Angelicamarie, on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:38 pm

In the United States there are many children who have a colostomy, ileostomy and urostomy. I recently read about a ten year old that was bullied because of his ostomy, he commited suicide.

His death prompted an eight year old girl by the name of sofia to share her story. Sofia had a rare condition that caused her to itch internally, which caused her to scratch until she bled.

At three years old she was fitted with a stoma to lesson the symptoms of liver disease. Sofia's mom said this didn't stop her child from living her life.

We live in a society where not everyone understands diffrences in people peroid.....

The children at school knew of her situation, but at times asked questions concerning her bag. As we know, sometimes children are sometimes insensitive to things and so are adults. Sofia is self-contious at times thinking they smell her, which is natural. With the guidance of her mother, she is confident in telling her story.

Sofia's post say's, "Don't look at me funny, I have a bag on my stomach with a feeding tube. Not because I don't eat but I need more nourishment. I have this because my liver and bowels don't work properly but that's only one part of me. I'm funny, smart and a kind little girl."

She said, "Me and mommy decided to share my story to help those who have something different than others. My bag is not not nasty or stinky, my bag made my life better and helps my liver work better."

Thats' so familiar, although that's the story of a child, how many of us can relate? I surely can!

Take Care,

Angelicamarie

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:29 pm
Thank you veejay...
Sjb
Reply by Sjb, on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks for sharing! Brave little girl with a great attitudes! 

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Sjb.. Yes she is !

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.