Ileostomy prolapse: Seeking advice on revision surgery

Replies
Views
Tangleloft 06

I am having ileostomy revision surgery in a couple of weeks for a prolapse. I have had it for quite some time, but it never caused any problems. I could go for 7 days before changing the appliance, and then it looked like I could have gone longer. In the past 6 months, after 2 days it has become very itchy and leaking between the ring and my skin. Sometimes, especially at night, the stoma will go below the barrier, which is how the problem starts, then it starts to leak.

After I eat, the stoma feels like it is trying to pop the barrier off, and the stoma gets bigger around. I have tried different size holes for the stoma, but if it is 1/16 too big or small, I will have a problem. I have also tried different appliances, rings, adhesives, and nothing seems to help much. The Convatec moldable was the best, but my stoma is low, and the pouch hangs down on my leg, which is also uncomfortable.

I am wondering if anyone has had or has a similar problem?

The doctor said that the prolapse could also be under the skin, actually inside. It sounds contradictory, but instead of the stoma prolapsing out, it is doing it inside.

I am hoping I am doing the right thing by getting this repaired. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you all.

Elaine

Past Member

I've had it retract inside a couple of times but never that severe. I usually cut the wafer slightly bigger until the stoma turns back to its normal self, for me it was only temporarily a day or so at most. I can imagine it being very frustrating having it leak because of it. I'd wait until after the surgery which will hopefully get rid of that nuisance. Until then, make the best of it in whichever way makes the wafer last the longest without leaking. Also, there are supporting underwear available which may help make the bag hang more comfortably. This site should show ads for that, I believe, but it's only available in the States.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,375 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Tangleloft 06

Hi either,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the other nuisance is the bĀ pouch being as low as it is, but that is not going to change.

Will check out the underwear, but I have tried that in the past and did not like them.

Bill

Hello Elaine. Sorry to hear about your problem and I'm even sorrier to sayt hat I have nothing useful to say about it. However, My stoma was as a result of surgery for a prolapsed anus so I can empathise with your situation. Also there are things happening to my stoma which I have not had diagnosed, but guess it is a peristomal hernia. However, now you have mentioned it, the same symptoms could indicate a prolapse.

In my case, I cannot see any useful purpose in finding out more until such time as I am willing to have something done about it (like surgery). However, I am very interested in how you get on and I hope you will keep us informed.

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Tangleloft 06

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your reply. Not sure of your problem, but I have a hernia as well, but the docs think that my problems are coming from the prolapse.

Will let you know what happens, hopefully uneventful.

Elaine

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Tickpol

I may not be reading this correctly but it sounds like you need to have the wafer wider to accommodate your stoma but then it's too wide to get a good seal. Are you using karaya paste or stomahesive around the base of your stoma? That might help keep the seal longer.

Dave

looking forward

Hi, try using depends instead of regular underwear. Maybe it will help hold things in better.