Best shirts to hide your baggage?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
Looking for advice on the best shirts to conceal your ostomy bag?
w30bob

Hi guys,

I think we covered this awhile back, but can't find the post. For those of you who wear a long shirt to cover your bag (because you can't tuck it into your pants without problems) I'd like to know what you wear. Myself, I wear Dickies XL work T-shirts with the pocket and short sleeves. They are extra long and fully cover my bag all the time without being down to my knees in length. They also come in a Tall size if you're really tall (I'm 6'2" and they're a little long for me in Tall). They're a 50/50 blend so they don't shrink to become too short after a few washes like any 100% cotton shirt would. Trust me on this... I've got drawers of 100% cotton shirts that are now just a bit too short.

I'm lucky, or maybe just stubborn with enough seniority, but I can wear that to work without anyone raising a stink. I've sort of re-written the dress code for Business Casual where I work. But there are times when I'd like to wear a tank top, like in the summer, and with those I find they're all cut too big for the length I want. I guess kids like to wear them down to their knees... got a feeling it's basketball related. For dress shirts or normal button downs, I still have to wear them untucked, so I try to find the ones that don't dip way down in the front and back (to stay tucked in), rather I try to get those that are straight across the front and back bottom hem. The one or two times I had to wear a suit since my operation, I just wore one of those straight hem dress shirts out of my pants and never took off my suit jacket, as it fully covered the shirt.

But I'm running out of ideas for shirts and getting a bit tired of the Dickies T-shirts. I also plan to start dating soon (I keep saying that, but really will soon), so other options would be nice. So if you got a minute, let me know what you wear for shirts. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

I wear suspenders and tuck it all in. Any large T-shirt works for me, in or out. Most of the T-shirts are from Mexico or my team shirts (Saskatchewan Roughriders). Have you looked at soccer shirts? I do not have any, but I think the cut would be right.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Cplumber

I buy tank tops that are 3 sizes too big and talls to keep everything tucked in (I don't tuck my bag in my pants); I also buy shorter bags, so instead of the normal 12", I get 10" to keep everything up. I'm also a plumber, so the long tank top keeps my butt crack hidden and warm (added benefit).

Another added benefit is that the tank top works well for sex, keeping the bag and hernia belt hidden yet still allowing me to feel sexy. Kind of like a camisole, only tougher-looking (so I got that going for me, which is nice).

Tickpol

I wear button-downs to work, and as long as the style allows me to stay untucked, I'm golden. I have found that some of the shirts intended to be untucked aren't long enough to cover a pouch, so I hold them up against shirts that I know are long enough to see how close they get.

On the days I go casual, I wear long-sleeve tees with a t-shirt of a different color underneath or a polo with a white t-shirt underneath.

Most of these are long enough, but if they're not, they are retired to being sleepwear.

I'll be getting a stealth belt for those occasions I need to go tucked in (weddings, funerals, graduations, etc.).

I'm not a fan of tanks, so I'm no help there.

Dave

Head

I wear Cubavera shirts and slacks. Square hemmed bottom, no need to tuck. Also, I wear Columbia fishing shirts as casual wear.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
MedicJay67

I wear compression shirts under my uniform shirt or whatever outer shirt I may be using that day. I typically wear a 4" Basko belt too.

The compression shirts I like are Tesla or Dr. Skin, and I get them very inexpensively on Amazon. They have a lot of colors and a thicker long sleeve style for the winter (about 9 months of the year here!). I am 6 foot 2 and about 225, so I wear the XXL so I can actually breathe. It is some gentle support and it keeps the bag from swaying. Win-win.

Hope that helps.

Cplumber

Added tank top benefits

I'm also a plumber so the long tank top keeps my butt crack hidden and warm (added benefit)

Another added benefit is the tank top, works well for sex keeping the bag and hernia belt hidden yet still allows me to feel sexy. Kinda like a camisole only tougher looking (so I got that going for me which is nice)

iMacG5

You guys covered everything very well.  I'll just add a couple comments.  I almost always wear pullovers.  Otherwise I just let the shirt tails hang out.  I'm not an executive or a fashion model.  If fact I don't even have a job except those my wife plans for me. For those ocassions where I must wear the pouch inside my pants I have a few pairs with larger waists and I wear suspenders with them.  These include my suits.

Beyond that I made "pockets" inside my tee shirts to keep the pouch in place.  They prevent exposing the pouch when my outer shirt and tee shirt rise, usually while attempting to complete my wife's assignments.  The pouch hangs just left of my naval.  From old tee shirts I made "pockets" about 5 inches wide and 4 inches deep.  Using that iron-on adhesive stuff, I affixed those pockets inside the tees where the pouch hangs.  

Just adds a little to my sense of security.

Mike