Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Slimming world

Posted by Sylvia, on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:44 am

hi, I've had an illiostmy bag for 18 months. I have recently joined slimming world 7 weeks ago and have lost 1 stone.  However I was admitted to hospital last week with sever kidney malfunction and dehydration. I'm wondering if by cutting down on processed foods (salt) and sweet things this may have been the reason? Just wondered if anyone else is at slimming world and has suffered anything similar?

Reply by lovely, on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:09 am

I know for sure  dehydration will cause kidnney problems. I have some kidnney problems and have to drink a lot of water. I had to have a stent put in the tube between my kidnet and bladder. I really can't say about the food. wishing you the best

Reply by w30bob, on Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:48 am

Sylvia,

A stone is 14 lbs.......but how much did you weigh before you lost the stone?  Do you check your hydration (urine color and skin pull test) frequently? I never heard of slimming world, so can't comment on that.....but salt reductions aren't always a good thing for ostomates. It depends on how your bowels have been modified and what your underlying condition(s) are. What else is going on?

Regards,

Bob

Reply by britathrt60, on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:41 am

Hi Sylvia

I have an Ileostomy.... we have high output so are more at risk of dehydration..sounds like your electrolytes are out of wack..you have lost 2 pounds per week in 7 weeks on slimming world..thats too much too fast..I have been hospitilized a couple of times with dehydration and have needed a lot of IV fluids to rehydrate me..my potassium bottomed out aswell which is really bad...you maybe better off to drink a bottle of gatorade each day to help with electrolytes..my understanding is that we do need salt and sugar when we have Ileostomies versus Colostomies.  Hope you get well soon...hope this helps

Angela

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:24 pm

No you've likely had something coming on without the diet change. Eliminating processed foods can only help you. They are full of chemicals. Salt dehydrates you so that's not good for kidneys or heart. Diet is not your problem unless your doing protein drinks and such which can affect kidneys. Never heard of diet. 

Reply by Immarsh, on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:36 am

Hi Sylvia,   When you have an ostomy/ and or missing a large intestine, you are more likely to have dehydration and kidney issues.    Testing the urine or stones, will tell you if you have bacterial stones,    Oxylate  , or   uric acid.    I have my ostomy for 50  years and use to have problems with orange gravel in my urine / uric acid stones...along with ocassional kidney stone attacks.   Sometimes they pass.  More recently,   I had bacterial slones  ( more like sludge)   and had surgery 3 x over the last 10 years...   2 were from below, with a stent put in to  keep the kidney to bladder open.   That was removed after 6 weeks.   This year, I  had another surgery , also for bacterial stones, but only had the stent in for two weeks.    A two day urine collection, indicated that I have " oxylate" stones as well.    There are specific food guides for all types of stones.... with recommendation of recucing foods high in either oxylates or Potassium....It's not easy...    I avoid milk/   dairy which causes the runs, but now with oxylates, I can't have nuts, which lets out the almond milk I've been using..   Your doctor should have the   designated food lists, or a local dietician, or even the computer can give you the info you need.    Dehydration, can be very serious,  so be sure to drink a lot of water (  not just soda, juice or coffee)   during the day.    expecially if it's hot outside, or if y ou know you're going to be doing a lot of exercise.   You can be de hydrated, and not know it, so the more the better.    Best of luck.  Don't give up t he exercise.   Drink Water...Write if y ou have more questions...   Marsha

Reply by zanzi1, on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 am

Just thought I'd mention that after having an ileostomy for over 40 years I discovered that I had kidney stones which are common due to having an ileostomy. I think I've passed many a tiny stones over the years before coming down with a kidney infection which was successfully treated with antibiotics. Howevever, I know that I still have stones but now I know why. Keep hydrated, etc....

ann                  

Reply by medic361, on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:17 am

Cutting sugar and processed food intake will only make you more healthy. You likely cut liquid intake when you cut the sugar. Drink plenty of water everyday, between 1.75 and 3.5 liters per day. 

Reply by looking forward, on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:24 am

hi never heard of it but probably woyuld have joined as well  i keep hearing things will eventually go back to normal. i wonder when

Reply by kenmatt, on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:39 am

People with ileostomies are much more prone to forming kidney stones because of chronic dehydration and an excessive excretion of bicarbonate.  It is important to get an analysis of the stone if you were able to recover it.  I have had this problem since 1974 and after 4 lithotrypsies, have figured out a solution (with my urologist, of course).  My stones are calcium oxalate, which once formed, cannot be dissolved (contrary to what you see on the internet).    You can only prevent the formation of new ones.   For me,  my urinary citrate was very low.  I supplement this with a citric acid/ sodium citrate solution.  It is a prescription item but I'm a pharmacist and I make the mixture myself.  So far, I have not formed new stones in the last 18 months.  I am very conscious of drinking a lot and taking my supplement several times daily.  It's a daily struggle to stay hydrated with an ileostomy.  Hope this helps.

Reply by Ewesful, on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:16 am

It is not a given that you will stay hydrated unless you really force  yourself to DRINK water and eat salty items.    I went though this too but is possible the stone had started a long while back -- Did you find the type and learn the foods that causes it??   That is very important.   I had a huge one that I did not know about as the nerves were damaged/severed in massive FAP surgery and ended up close to death.   Al of the ileostomy people should be made aware but it is never discussed!

Reply by Nicholoffs, on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:08 pm
lovely wrote:

I know for sure  dehydration will cause kidnney problems. I have some kidnney problems and have to drink a lot of water. I had to have a stent put in the tube between my kidnet and bladder. I really can't say about the food. wishing you the best

Ihave had an ileostomy for a year-and-a-half, my surgeon told me to use a little salt everyday, I sip water constantly, all day And all night and so far everything has been going well.. this ileostomy save the my life.

Reply by Coug, on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:38 pm

i too have an ileostomy and kidney problems due to dehydration and kidney stones in the past.....My nephrologist has me drink between 8 and 10 glasses of water a day

but sometimes i still get dehydrated due to the large amount of fluid i lose through my ileostomy....i just cant keep up....he also wants me to put salt on everything 

because i lose so much sodium through the ileostomy.....also has me on sodium bicarbonate tablets as well to help retain sodium....also an energy drink like gatorade mixed 

half and half with water also helps put more salts back into the body.....i also go to the local hospital once a week to get rehydrated with a couple of bags of saline which helps

out a lot as well...u might check with your nephrologist to see if this course might work for you....u should also get set up with your doctor with monthly blood tests

to check your kidney function etc......hope this helps.

Reply by w30bob, on Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:19 am

Guys,

You're going about that hydration thing all wrong. The small bowel doesn't absorb water the same way the colon does. The small bowel absorbs water by osmosis, so just drinking water won't hydrate you. I've explained this more than a few times on here, and this info should be in a sticky post.....but this forum doesn't support them. I have no idea why Gastro's don't explain this to ostomates though. The small bowel is a semi-permeable membrane. The only way water can get thru the membrane is to be dragged thru when it's attached to sodium and glucose molecules when they are present in the correct ratio (osmolarity). Said another way.....you can drink all the water you want, but it won't be absorbed by the small bowel.......unless you've mixed that water with sugar (glucose) and salt (sodium) in the right ratio, which is 25g sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt per liter (quart) of water. Just Google "Oral Rehydration Solution" for more info. The World Health Organization (WHO) has tons of info on this subject. A simple way to make an ORS that works is to get a quart of regular Gatorade (any flavor), just don't use the sugar free version. Dump 1/2 of it into another quart bottle, then ad a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to each bottle and fill both bottles the rest of the way with water. Drink that slowly during the day and you will be fully hydrated. There's lots of ORS recipes, and you can use anything as long as you maintain the sodium/glucose per liter ratio and you're golden.  

Regards,

Bob

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.