Ostomy Nurse Saves the Day!

Replies
Views
freedancer

I had written earlier about needing to change my bag style due to upcoming left hand LRTI surgery. I contacted my ostomy nurse that I had at the hospital and he was very helpful! He helped me to calculate about how many of the closed bags I would need and the type number. We also figured in some extras in case of emergency. I reported what I needed to my VA provider and they will be ordering them shortly. All I can say is that if you ever need anything in regards to your ostomy, your ostomy nurse is the best place to go. Thank you also everyone from the site who offered advice. It was greatly appreciated.

lovely

Hi freedancer, so glad you got the help you needed and that VA is going to order for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi freedancer,

You're of course right. I've dealt with more than a few ostomy nurses and have never met a bad one yet. Seems they empathize with us a bit more than docs and wound nurses, even though they've never had to walk around all day with a shit-filled water balloon stuck to their abs. When I got my ostomy, it was at a hospital about an hour and a half away from where I lived. It turned out the ostomy nurse who took care of me only lived about 15 minutes from my house. She was nice enough to give me her home phone and address and told me to call or stop by anytime, no matter how small the problem. I was very impressed by that. I've even had ostomy nurses from competing hospitals call each other regarding my ostomy, and despite the competition, they acted like a well-run team and took great care of me. So, like you, my hat's off to the ostomy nurses out there. Job well done.

Regards,

Bob

Bill

Hello Freedancer.  I agree entirely with you and your responders, as I have nothing but praise for the stoma nurses.

Best wishes

Bill

Tickpol

I think surgeons should be forced to wear an ostomy pouch for at least 24 hours with about 300ml of goo in it so they get to appreciate what their patients go through.....

Dave

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
freedancer

Ha! Ha! And then have the seal breach in the middle of the night!

freedancer

Ha! Ha!   Then have the seal breach in the middle of the night!

Degurosa

Hi Freedancer. I was so pleased to see your post! I'm having exactly the same operation on my left hand sometime late next year (very long waiting list) and was really worried about how I would cope with my ileostomy. My plan now, after reading the responses you had, is to try a closed two-piece and then try a closed one-piece. Following a double mastectomy, I've since also developed lymphedema in my left arm and hand too which is really having an impact on managing my stoma, so a closed bag might be the sensible way for me to go anyway.
Good luck with your surgery xx

freedancer

You know, I am thinking that the closed two-piece would work very well for you. I have a flat stoma that requires a convex wafer and I also like to be able to see where I place the connector piece to make sure I center it. With a one-piece, I don't think I could see it. Good luck to you with your surgery.

Degurosa

I too need a convex wafer! - You're not my alter ego, are you? Haha! Thanks, I'll give the two-piece a go xx

freedancer

Let me know the pros and cons, okay?

Degurosa

Will do.