Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Reversal

Posted by Lrasphong, on Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:50 pm

I thought everything was all set with my colostomy reversal . Now I'm in pain with illestomy.  Broke my heart.  Mentally drain. Just need advice because I cant find out what really happen during surgery . Went in at 520am and woke up with illestomy 715pm  in stead of at least a stoma would of been ok. Sorry to ramble on and on. 

Reply by iMacG5, on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi Lasphong.  You're not rambling and have no reason to apologize,  Though saddened with your experience we appreciate your sharing and hope we can offer some help.   I don't know enough about your situation or medical stuff in general but I think your doctors, nurses and staff owe you explanations as to what went wrong and what the plans are for the future.  

Wishing you comfort, quick healing and a good prognosis,

Mike

Reply by Lrasphong, on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:16 pm

The surgeon told me it might start leaking down the line didnt trust itBut still continues to connect and leaves it like saying it will heal up my family was told during surgry everything was going perfect . Only reason they knew were because I was eventually moved after 14hrs . Not sure which route to go. I will go get the medical records when I'm strong enough. Any ideas on my next step will help . Thank you very much for listening 

Reply by w30bob, on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi lraspong,

Sorry, but I'm not following what you're saying.  Are you saying you went in for your reversal at 5:20am and woke up 14 hours later with an ileostomy instead of being reconnected?  What do you mean when you say "in stead of at least a stoma would of been ok."  Did this happen today?  In your second post you're saying the surgeon didn't reconnect you because he felt it might leak, so he just left your ostomy as it was.......is that right?  The pain you're talking about is from the incision(s) and not some other reason, right?  Are you also saying your family was only updated once during your surgery........and was told there were no issues? When you say you're not sure which route to go..........which routes are you considering?  Finding another surgeon........or something else?  

Regardless of what you say to my questions above the surgeon should have talked to you after you recovered from the anestesia.  If that's at some weird time of the night he should be by your bedside first thing in the morning, unless he's sceduled for other surgery at that time.  If he is, then an assistant of his should come by and explain exactly what has happened.  The nurses taking care of you should also know what the heck happened, or can find out.  Every hospital has someone called a Patient Advocate that acts as a go-between for you and the surgeon/surgical team.  Tell the nurse who's attending to you that you want to contact the Patient Advocate immediately.  If she doesn't answer the phone leave a message and send one of your family members to her office to talk to her.  If she's not there then an assistant/secretary should be there to get your family member's phone number to give to the Advocate. If you cannot find or talk to the Advocate ask to speak to the head hospital administrator.  If all that fails call your insurance company and explain what has happened and that you are trying to find out from hospital staff, but have not been able to.  If none of that works let me know and I'll hop in the car, drive down there, and kick some hospital staff ass.  What you're describing is totally ridiculous and folks need to be held accountable.  Please keep us informed on how this goes. In the meantime I'll go warm up my truck. 

;O(

regards,

bob 

Reply by Lrasphong, on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:11 pm

Sorry kind of high form all these pain meds. I went in at 520am to have reversal. Long story short he connected the large intestines.  Woke up to find an illestomy.  Was told by the surgeon he wasn't comfortable just relying on the large intestines. Didnt make him feel comfortable because he had a cancer patient who 6 month down the line it started leaking. So now iam left with a illestomy.  Pain I get is from staples yet to be removed until this monday. Output is so much water. I ask the nurses they kept telling me ask the surgeon. I arrived at 520am and woke up around 730pm. Should I hire a lawyer?they released 11/24 and was admitted the 19th

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:04 am

Wow, sorry this has happened to you! You have the right to request your Op note. That is the dictated document that your doctor would have done as soon as the surgery was over explaining everything about the surgery! Call his office to get that mailed to you! If there was any thing wrong, he has an obligation to tell you. You may want to let the drugs wear off a bit and talk to him. They can certainly distort Information. If you are still in he hospital, a patient advocate will come to you almost immediately is you tells nurse you want to see one! 
Hoe this helps!

Puppyluv

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:20 am

Lrasphong, Hi just read your post. I'm so sorry to hear about your surgery.  You need to contact your Doctor who legally has the right to explain what took place.  Call and ask for a copy of your medical records so you can see what actually took place. When you had your surgery were you with a family member waiting or alone? My fellow ostomate your not rambling, this is a major surgery and it's quite scary. The answers to your questions only can come from your doctor, there no practicing physicians here, so for medical advise please seek that information from your surgeon. I truly understand how disturbing it is to wake with an addition to your body it is most frightening. My prayers are with you!

Best Wishes,

Angelicamarie

Reply by w30bob, on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:44 am

Hi lrasphong,

No problem......we've all been there.  I'm struggling to understand why they would reconnect a colostomy and then cut your intestines higher up in the small bowel to give you an ileostomy.  That doesn't make any sense unless they reconnected your colon, then found it had issues they hadn't seen before, and decided you needed to be disconnected higher up before the colon.  All sounds a bit strange to me, but I guess it's possible.  First thing to do is talk to the surgeon.  Don't even mention getting a lawyer, as that will put him on the defensive and he'll be very guarded in what he tells you.  So get the operative report first, review it and write down your questions and then go meet with the surgeon.  I'm sure he's going to have a good story, and may have done nothing wrong. 

Remember, you signed a waiver/release form before the surgery that basically says there are no guarantees in terms of outcome.  All surgeries are risky and you understand and are taking that risk.  The surgeon may run into unexpected issues once he's got you opened up, and is promising to use his best judgement and experience to deal with those issues as best he can.  So basically his ass is covered except for any incompetence or major screw ups.  If you still feel slighted after talking to him get a second opinion from another surgeon.  Be forewarned.........they are a brotherhood, so getting one surgeon to say another one screwed up won't happen easily.  So don't expect that in your conversation.  Instead look for the second surgeon to say he might have done X instead of Y or to offer up alternate solutions for the issues your surgeon faced.  If at that point you still feel surgeon #1 may have screwed up you may want to get a free consultation with a lawyer.  Remember, those guys will promise you the moon, because they want your business.  So think it thru..........if your surgeon made a good faith effort to deal with your issues and didn't make any obvious screw ups then you really have no case.  You're treading on slippery ground at this point and I have no experience with medical malpractice, so if you get this far you need to stop listening to anything I might say and seek professional help.  I'd think your insurance company could also offer you advice, because if there was wrong doing they're the ones who paid the bill and will want to recoupe some of those costs. 

I got a funny feeling that when you hear out the surgeon he's going to make a good case for whatever he did.  You might not like the outcome, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision on his part.  So approach this with a clear head and don't let your emotions get the better of you.  That's easier said than done, obviously, but think about it from a Judge's point of view. Keep us informed as to how you proceed.  And I'm sorry you had to go thru this crap........I was really hoping you'd be out of the woods by now.

regards,

bob

Reply by Lrasphong, on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:19 am

What you described was exactly how he explained it to me.
Reconnect the colon then maybe try it agian down the line. My question is why couldnt they do and scan or an x ray first to see if it was healed. Just frustrated bob that's all and you are completely right about everything you said. Everybody who answered back I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me I really appreciate it.

Reply by Bagface, on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Lrasphong-I'm so very sorry that you have to go through this! Each doctor has his or her own approach. It may be wise to seek a second or even third opinion from an experienced surgeon. Please keep us posted!!

Reply by Lrasphong, on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:59 pm

I will keep everyone updated and I'm going to go outside of this area because I believe that maybe they might end up not stand up for me because this is a small area . 

Reply by w30bob, on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi Lrasphong,

I understand your frustration.........I went under expecting to wake up to another small bowel resection (a bag wasn't even an option) and woke to find my ass in the ICU with an ostomy bag on my abs and a nurse telling me I was now short gutted.  The problem in the scanning techniques used (CT and MRI) is that they can't really tell the condition of the bowel, only if it's distended, pinched down (obstructed), etc.  They can't tell the actual condition of the intestine walls, etc.  So if the surgeon opens you up and your intestines look like swiss cheese instead of normal bowel there's not much he can do with it.  If your surgeon is thorough he'll pull your intestines out of your body cavity and "run them", meaning feel along the entire length for any firmness (bad) or hard spots (worse), and check for any holes, etc.  And when he's pulling out your intestines he has to remove all the adhesions between the bowel loops very very carefully or he'll be making holes in your bowels as he seperates them.  It's much easier said than done.  Then he has to resect or remove the bad parts and then put back what's left and wrap it with thin layers of fat he pulls from your abdominal wall to help stop any more bowel loops from adhering to themselves or to your organs or abdominal wall itself.  

And I tell you this because it sounds like maybe you weren't properly prepared for the outcome you got.  I've learned to understand all the possible outcomes......and expect the worse.  This way when it's not that bad you're pleasantly surprised.  Sounds like your surgeon hasn't given up on you, just wants to wait and see if it makes more sense to reconnect further down the line.  So maybe in the long run that's the better thing to do.  And look at the bright side..........you get to hang out with us fun folks on here for at least a little longer.  Could always be worse..........this could be an Alzheimer's forum and then we'd forget who you are between each post.  

Hang in there brother.......we feel for ya!

regards,

bob

Reply by Lrasphong, on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks for your advice I really do appreciate it. 

I wasn't expecting it to be like this but shit happens. Monday I get to have my staples removed. Yes I cant wait . Does your pain change sometimes mine is either decent enough not to take the pain pills but today it's just not giving me the option to not take the meds. The pills are really strong but the original 5mg of oxycodone wouldn't help even a little so I just take the 10mg they prescribed me. Enjoy the rest of your night bob and I'll try to do the same

Reply by w30bob, on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi Lrasphong,

It's been so long now I really don't remember exactly how long I took the pain meds for.  I'm pretty sure I stopped taking those way before the staples came out, which I think was 2-3 weeks after the surgery.  Yeah, it always feels good getting those damn things taken out.  I took most of mine out myself, as they were getting ugly (infected).  I always like the way the Doc just takes them out with the same staple remover we have in the office. I like your first sentence............that should be the name of this website...."shit happens". 

Have a good one,

bob 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.