Waterproof Shower Solutions

Replies
Views
Past Member

I use the Hollister New Image 2 piece cover with tape.
Is there any chance this is water resistant?

I really love to take a daily shower, but it's always such a hassle with waterproof tapes and cling wraps.
Does anyone have any better solutions? (I also have to travel to have my pouching system changed for me because of a loss of use in my hands).

Past Member

I use the same Hollister system and while it's not water-resistant, I don't have to cover it while having a daily shower. I get the thing drenched sometimes, but it just towel dries off with the rest of me.

I change it every 4-5 days, and it all stays intact until the next change day. Sometimes I think the baseplate adheres better the more I get it wet, strangely enough (like after swimming). I do, however, put some tape over the filter on the bag, but I do that anyway, shower or not. Filters are as useless as tits on a bull for an ileo!

When traveling, I use a microfiber towel (like those used for hair turbans), and that really dries it out quickly. I have heard people use hair dryers to dry it off completely too.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lovely

Hitmn86, sorry you are having problems. I use Hollister wafers 14803 with the 18103 pouches and the 18123 pouches. I have never had a problem with them coming loose. As JMC said, I just dry it off with a towel.

w30bob

Hi tmn,

I change my barrier every other day, so I can't comment on how well they stand up to multiple daily showers, but I agree with JMC......the barrier does seem to stick better if you get it soaking wet and then dry it completely. In the summertime, I'm in and out of the pool multiple times a day.......and never had it come off. But I do wear the belt just for peace of mind.

Regards,

Bob

Longroad78

TMN86,

Check this out.

Amazon.com sells a shower apron for ostomy bags and it works great.

Empower your change Ostomy Shower Guard.

$32.95.

Last a good amount of time to justify the price.

I shower every day and it goes on in seconds, no more tape or plastic wrap. Every now and then, a little water might get in but nothing to cause an issue for the bag to dry out in a few minutes from moisture.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
xnine

https://www.meetanostomate.org/index.php?page=blog" action="viewdetailed" view_id="14671" id="2383" I made my own shower curtain. Not waterproof but keeps direct spray off.

Past Member

Thank you so much, I also think the same about filters!
I've had no problem every other day, so I'll try it daily!!

Past Member

How long have you had an ileostomy?

I've got a lot to learn, I'm at 6 months now.  

Past Member

Just gone on 11 years since surgery and I can't imagine life without it now. It gave me back my health after many years with Crohn's disease, no more chronic pain, drugs or visits to the doc (except for general yearly check-ups) so for me it's a positive experience.

Took me awhile to get used to everything straight after surgery, 3-6 months starting to get the hang of it, after about a year I was ready to take on the world!

Puppyluv56

I shower everyday without any covers. I use a two-piece system. It gets wet but does not change my wear time. When I dry my hair, I also dry the pouch and barrier. Only because it gets my pants wet once I put them on! Lol

Puppy

Donavon

While not waterproof (Hollister 18184 14604), I do get them wet often. I'll lay in the bath for up to 30 mins while meditating and not change the base or bag, though I usually do.

I have noticed that the newer version of CeraPlus is popular since it contains moisturizing ingredients.

CeraPlus skin barrier with Remois technology* has arrived.
Our newest skin barrier is infused with ceramide, the skin's naturally occurring protection against dryness. The CeraPlus skin barrier is designed to maintain adhesive properties and features a formulation infused with ceramide to help:

Protect the skin's natural moisture barrier
Maintain good peristomal skin health
Decrease transepidermal water loss (TEWL) from damaged or eroded skin

It seems to degrade much faster, so I don't personally notice the advantage.

Yes, you can get the bag wet, but plan on changing it soon when you do. I go about 3 days, then irritation will force me to replace the base plate or barrier.

zanzi1

I've had an ileostomy for 45 years and have taken a shower daily with absolutely no problems, no matter what kind of appliance I use. They're totally waterproof so I don't use anything to protect it, I just hop in and relax.

Hope this helps.

Ann.

renomar

I initially used the Hollister products as provided by the hospital after my ileostomy. I had several leaks 1-2 days after replacing the pouch system. I am now using Convatec products. They sent me numerous free samples of all their products in order for me to decide which product was appropriate for me. I have been using Convatec ever since. Their customer service is excellent. If you want to shower daily, I highly recommend using SkinTac adhesive solution. Another OsteoMate turned me on to this product and it is very effective. You could probably even continue with your Hollister products. I shower every other day using SkinTac and I don't have to change the skin barrier for 1-1 1/2 weeks. It is similar to Gorilla Glue. LOL I do change the pouch every 3-4 days as needed. Using SkinTac adhesive has made my life worry-free and easier. Good luck.

Past Member

I have no problems showering, at all. The appliance gets wet but handles the water. Now, I do change it afterwards; no need but I do it, anyways. I have been able to secure through my health insurance enough appliances for the month, if I want to shower daily which I do. If you want any details, let me know. But, basically there are ways to get the insurance to approve for extra apps. I do change the bag, at least, not always the wafer.

My appliance has a tip at the bottom, very easy to clean and also super hygienic compared to others where the opening is wide. Mine, just a tip which I clean with a paper towel and water peroxide, super clean and neat. It also does not smell, lucky that way.

But, yes, you can shower daily, and it feels wonderful. Just make sure you have the right appliance. I would say the wafer will endure it, how many showers before the wafer's glue breaks down? I don't know but they seem very sturdy and well attached. I am sure you will get many more opinions; showers feel awesome.

frince

I use a disposable shower cap over the bag baseplate.

Cheap effective.

Not 100% watertight, but good enough for me.

Regards.

Wabu

Hi, I use the same products and shower daily with no tapes or cling film wrap. The pouch stays put and I gently dry it with a small towel.

Hope this helps.

Past Member

I wear a Convatec two-piece system with the wafer being picture framed with tape for over thirty years. I shower daily and swim when I get a chance now that I no longer belong to the health club. My wear time is fairly consistent, being five days. When I shower, I usually dry and then use a hairdryer briefly to dry the tape. Like I said, it has worked for over thirty years.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi Lovely, how are you doing? I'm reading and came across your use of Hollister, and I thought it's the same pouches (bags), just two different ones? I'm happy you don't have any problems. Am I right to say this? I was wondering, do you have an ileostomy and you don't have any pain? I'm asking because I seem to have a lot, and I'm thinking it's gas. I don't eat, and then I eat baby food, and then stress... but for no reason, I'm still uncomfortable. I know I had a colostomy, which wasn't bad, but an ileostomy is definitely different! I'm finding it's worse to watch what I eat. I know it doesn't make sense, but I've also found out that having this addition has saved my life. I've been through a lot, and now there seems to be more pain than before! When I went off dairy and stuff that could cause nausea, it doesn't matter. I get it and take 2-3 for it, and cola syrup does help, or Pepto Bismol! I'm rambling, sorry. I was wondering if you get pain and if it may feel like it's pulling you down and your back hurts/legs hurt, you know? Or maybe I'm weird, am I? Maybe you can tell me a couple things you do and maybe what you eat and what you do in a week, say? I don't know what to do some days! So I wonder what everyone else is doing or maybe they can help me out with just about anything!! I would appreciate it so much! No hurry, I'm just curious. I feel like I'm crazy saying how I feel!! I hope you're having a good year so far in 2020 and feeling good!! Are you able to eat a lot of stuff, right? Any help, hugs through email. Thank you, I appreciate any help or anything. I know we're all different! Also, it was about showering with bags. Well, I think warm/hot water makes it stick better, and sometimes it starts to come apart on me, but I see and know I have to change it! Sometimes I don't for 2 days, and it's on really good, but we never know and to have a blowout and that mess is horrible, as you know!

NewlifeVictoria

Ann, wow! Hello, how are you? Wow, 45 years with a colostomy bag? Ileostomy? I'm very happy to hear that, Ann! Maybe we can chat. I want to find out what others are doing here! I have had a colostomy since 2013 and then an ileostomy, hernia, took butt, large intestine, and ileostomy and hernia again, after 2 years getting it fixed! Then sepsis through all this in 2017 - June 15th - 20th. And Jan 2018, less than 7 months, hernia is back, prolapsed. I know how much everyone suffers and it makes me so sad! Hope to chat and you feel good!! Relax is what I need... I stress too much too. Take care, look forward to chatting. Sincerely, Victoria.  

MOST52

I am curious about your having to travel to have a change because of your hands giving you problems. I am worried that neuropathy in my hands is getting progressively worse, making changes a problem. Can you share more info on this? Thanks

Puppyluv56

Hi Most,

Are you saying that you are having to go to a nurse to have your pouch changed due to neuropathy? That must be really tough. I need my right shoulder and left wrist operated on and worry about the same thing. I plan on spacing the surgeries out through this year for just that fear of it being able to take care of my ostomy myself. Could you have in-home care if your neuropathy worsens? Is it in both hands?
Hope it does not get worse.
Puppyluv

Doe1mama
Reply to Anonymous

What is the best tape to use as extra protection around the flange in the shower or daily?

Doe1mama
Reply to renomar

Does the Skintac go on instead of protective barrier wipes or do you use both? I'm assuming since you use it frequently it isn't hard on skin. We're still trying out different things for my husband. We also like the Convatec systems.