Returning to the Gym after Total Proctectomy: Advice Needed!

Replies
Views
Tmooore2

Hey, how is everyone? I have lived with an Ileostomy for the last 12 years. Recently, on December 17, I had a total Proctectomy done. No fun!! I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any experience with going back to the gym after 4 weeks. I know it's too soon, but I was wondering if I could do it on the treadmill, etc. I'm still very sore, but I would like to start walking without a cane as soon as possible. Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Bill

Hello Tmooore2. 

The usual advice for post surgery activity is to refrain from any exertion for at least six weeks and then only gradually introduce yourself to gently increasing exercise. Impatience in the early stages of recovery can be a long-term disaster. It would probably pay to discuss your feelings and aspirations with an ostomy nurse before going to the gym. I found a useful article on post-op stuff on the internet so will reproduce it below:

Best wishes

Bill

AFTER THE PROCEDURE.
You may need to stay in the hospital for several days after the surgery. When you go home, make sure to follow all instructions for medicines, pain control, diet, activity, and wound care.

If you have a colostomy after surgery, you may need to work with an ostomy nurse or enterostomal therapist. Make sure to keep all your follow-up appointments. He or she will show you how to use the ostomy pouch, deal with side effects such as skin irritation, and resume an active life. With proper care, the pouch cannot be seen under your clothing, and people will not even know you are wearing it.

Some other common instructions after proctectomy may include:

Get up and walk as much as possible soon after surgery.

Gradually resume your normal activities. This may take a few weeks. Ask your healthcare providers when you can resume bathing, driving, working, and sexual activity. Don’t do heavy lifting for 6 weeks.

Watch your wounds for any sign of infection. This may include swelling, redness, bleeding, or fluid leaking.

When to call your healthcare provider
Call your healthcare provider if you have any of the below:

Fever of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher, or as directed by your healthcare provider

Swelling, redness, bleeding, or fluid leaking from the incision

Pain that gets worse

Shortness of breath

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

Welcome and thanks for your service, dude. That's an awesome TAT.. I mean, that's an awesome full body tat you got there. I would heed Bill's advice. Lots of things can go wrong. I am interested in why you waited 12 years to have the surgery though. I am possibly looking at the same procedure eventually due to bleeding. Read my profile to catch up. This is definitely no light surgery. Is there help for you at home? Dunno if you're aware of this, but now you have what's called a Ken butt (for males) and Barbie butt (for females). Let me know how you're feeling and getting by. Thanks and again, welcome to the site. Warrior.

Puppyluv56

Hi,

Everyone is different, but it took me almost a year before I felt like that was all really part of me. Don't rush! It will take some time, but you will get there!

Puppy

lovely

Hi Tmooore2, just wanted to say be sure you give yourself enough time to heal. You sure don't want to cause more problems. Sometimes the outside will look healed on the outside but it may not be healed inside. Best wishes

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
PETey.13

It took me 2 years to return to 90 percent physical activity. Wounds had to be packed 3x per day. I had to deal with diet, impactions, fatigue, skin irritations, loss of electrolytes, etc. It took a while to find, by trial-and-error, a wafer that would not, by itself, cause skin irritations.

PamTX

Everyone heals differently. I had mine when I was about 42, and it took me the full 6 weeks. I would slowly take walks for short distances and eventually built my strength back up. I can't remember how long before I was able to go running again. I was very weak and took naps every day for the first 6 weeks. Just be patient and know that you will eventually be back to feeling strong and normal once again! The healing of the wound took longer than expected, but everyone heals at their own pace, so your experience may be different. Good luck and take it one day at a time!