Strange Odor After Appliance Change - Any Ideas?

Replies
Views
britathrt60

Hi Ostofriends.

This may sound really gross, but I'm just going to throw it out here.

The first time I empty after a full appliance change always smells like cat pee... no idea why and only like I say after the first dump. Has anyone experienced this with an ileostomy? Not sure if it's the glue on the flange or Coloplast paste that causes it... jump in with any ideas, please and thanks. I know Bob will have some great ideas. LOL.

Cheers.

Ange.

w30bob

Sorry Ange........you'll have to wait a bit..........until I pick myself up off the floor.............sorry...............LMAO!!! The best part about this site is we're so uninhibited.....we just throw stuff like this out there and see what happens. You go girl. I'll be back later after I dry my eyes.......

Funny as shit!!

;0)

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

britathrt60

Bahahahaha, Bob, you are killing me. But honestly, I've Googled this and can't find any info. There has to be a reason.

Bill

Hello Ange. Thanks for the brain-teaser but I feel we need a little bit more information to be able to guess at what might be causing this. I sometimes get a peculiar smell (a bit like you describe) when changing a plug. There is no output on it , so this is not an issue. I believe the smell could be caused by 'normal' body odour, which has been trapped under the plastic for a long time. However, it doesn't always happen, so my guess would be that it is aggravated or motivated by what I have eaten. I just ignore it, change the appliance and get on with life!

Best wishes

Bill  

w30bob

Hi Ange,

OK.......I've regained my composure now, so let's see what we can do. If in fact your first output smells like cat urine........what makes cat urine stink is the high amount of ammonia it contains. And the way to neutralize ammonia is with vinegar. Sooooooo.......you need to drink some vinegar before you go to bed. Now normally vinegar is a bit tough to swallow, so here's what you need to do......get your favorite apple cider vinegar, add some honey to it and a little bit of water to dilute. Try a tablespoon or two before bed and see how it goes. If it still stinks, add another tablespoon until it solves the problem.

Make your check payable to "The Bob's Cool Hat Fund", care of MeetanOstomate.com!

Regards,

Bob

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
britathrt60

Hi Bill... The thing is, before I change my flange and bag, I have showered and cleaned the stoma and area with rubbing alcohol. Then, I apply Coloplast paste on the outer edge of the flange and attach my new appliances... So, it's not body odor... It happens after the change and occurs during the first emptying... I wonder if it's a chemical in the flange glue and paste that contradict each other. Cheers... Ange 

Bagface

As long as we're being uninhibited here; when I had my ileo, it smelled like cat pee, cow poop, dog shit, old farts, etc., all rolled into one! I couldn't stand myself! A few drops of eucalyptus oil into the bag seemed to help.

britathrt60

Thanks Bob, the ammonia makes sense. It doesn't happen every day though. It only happens the first time I empty after cleaning the area and applying a new flange and bag. It's a mystery!
By the way, the check is on its way to the Bob's Cool Hat Fund. Lol.

britathrt60

Bagface, you crack me up! LMAO. I will try eucalyptus oil.

Cheers... Ange

Tickpol

Because piling on is fun....

I ate two things this weekend I haven't had since my ostomy. A peppermint (the old fashioned red and white swirled disc) and a Steakum sub. My output smelled like burnt rubber for two days. LOL

Dave

w30bob

Ah... my bad. So it sounds like it's more of an "output to barrier/bag" type of reaction, not really about your first output being different from later output. Interesting...

Bob

Puppyluv56

Too funny, Fave! Haha

w30bob

I love the smell of a fresh burnout.........I'm going out for a cheesesteak! See ya......

Later,

Bob