Reversal Tomorrow: Journey Update and Request for Support

Replies
Views
Newbeee

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers please as I start part two of this journey. 15 weeks ago, my world was turned upside down with a ruptured diverticulum and emergency surgery. My hospital team was wonderful through the entire process. Fingers crossed I get the exact same staff who cared for me the first time. By the time I left the hospital, I felt as though I had new family members, not just healthcare providers with me. Getting home and adjusted, of course, took some trial and error moments and a few tears and meltdowns. But as weeks went along, I finally started to get accustomed to things I could tolerate eating, managing an ostomy routine, and learning to not get panicked at anything that seemed to be "weird," but of course, everything was weird and new by then. Weeks started to fly by, and before I knew it, I was going back to the surgeon to discuss reversal. Excited and nervous for sure. Not sure what to expect and already dreaming about my first "real meal" again. Will keep you all in my thoughts as well.

lovely

Hi newbie, happy for you that you can get a reversal, pray everything goes well for you. Let us know how it goes. Best wishes

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,454 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Newbeee.

It sounds as if things have happened so quickly for you and the fact that you are being considered for reversal surgery so quickly seems to be a good omen for the outcome.

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow and I wish you well.

Bill

Tickpol

Wow, some rollercoaster. Hopefully this is the last of your surgical interventions. Praying for you.

Dave

Morning glory

Newbie, prayers for a safe speedy recovery.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
iMacG5

Hey Newbeee, can't wait for the good news!

Sincerely,

Mike

Inspired47

I had the exact same thing happen and I'm getting my reversal this Tuesday. I wish you the best of luck. We're both going to get through this. God bless

Charlie

Puppyluv56

Newbie,

Prayers for your surgery's success with an easy recovery!

You got this!

Puppyluv

britathrt60

You got this... praying for a successful reversal and a speedy recovery... cheers!

Ange

w30bob

Hi Newbee,

We're all hoping for the best for you... get 'er done! It must be a great feeling to know you're getting reversed and going back to normal. My hat's off to you!

Regards,

Bob

kmedup

Hi there,

Hoping for a successful surgery and recovery for you. Keep us informed.

Cheers,

Karen

ron in mich

Good luck here, hoping all goes well and a speedy recovery.

Axl

Good for you, best wishes from Oz, hope you are back to normal soon.

OrlandoNewbie

Very best of luck, newbie -- you've got this!

I had just the same happen, so I empathize with your wild ride. My reversal was a little over a year ago. Keep in mind that it's all getting better from here! Hooray!

Food after is pretty much like food before. Try a little of whatever you fancy and chew, chew, chew. My diet was back to pre-explosion foods fairly quickly. I did find urgency an issue, but just for the first few weeks. My bowels still behave differently than before (but I'm also 68, so they probably would in any case ;) ) Age and a total of four ops to get me straight left me with very weak legs and no abdominal muscles, so I would remind you to pay attention to your PT. A reversal doesn't mean an end to body-image issues! If you're experiencing any hair loss, I highly recommend biotin.

I gave my leftover supplies to my wound nurse as she had other patients who couldn't always afford them. Sometimes people here will ask if they are in need, or you could ask at the hospital who might be able to use them.

I still visit this site to answer reversal questions, as I noticed that people tended to leave once they were no longer an "active" ostomate. My surgeon told me that the statistics were that more than half the people eligible for reversals didn't take them, although the survey didn't give their reasons. It takes courage to have another operation, particularly when the first one came as such a miserable surprise. Fair play to you!

And don't be a stranger, we want to know how well you're doing!

Past Member

Best of luck, Newbie! Hope everything goes perfectly. I'm sure it will!

Blazest

Good luck to you. I hope you'll let us know how it goes. I didn't have the courage for a reconnection, so I kept mine. But I never was right before, and now my quality of life is much better. The bowels have always been the weakest part of my body; it doesn't sound like that was true for you. Good luck to you!

Newbeee

Hello dear friends! The reversal is completed and I have a much more appealing midline scar as opposed to what I commonly called a frankenscar from the colostomy. Making things pretty was not on the priority list with the urgent surgery in November. Day 2 and 3 after the reversal were tough! As in, I was miserable and almost regretting my decision. But chalk that up to pain management and gaining strength and confidence again post-operatively. Ask me today if I would have chosen the reversal and I give a BIG thumbs up and HELL YEAH! For the first 3 nights, I had to sleep in the recliner in my room. Night 4, I made it into the bed and started getting some great rest. Tubes all came out quickly and by day 5, I was up walking independently in the hall and waiting to get discharged. Got discharged today and have felt wonderful since getting home. Diet is as before, small meals, see what you tolerate, and progress to a high fiber diet in a few weeks. My hospital staff were the same as with the first surgery and I absolutely love them all. Tonight, my daughter is getting to cook dinner for me - the dinner we did not get to have for Thanksgiving due to the emergency. I am spoiled for sure. Thank you all for thinking about me and prayers for recovery! They mean the world. Virtual hugs to all of you. I will be continuing to check in for chats with everyone :)

lovely

Hi Newbeee, so good to hear from you. Glad everything is going well for you. I know this information will be helpful for others considering a reversal. Let us know how you progress. Best wishes

britathrt60

Hi Newbeee 
Great to hear you are doing so well... way to go!

Ange 

ron in mich

Thanks newbee for the update, it's always nice to hear a positive story especially with all the gloom and doom nowadays.

OrlandoNewbie

Well done! Take very good care of yourself and all spoiling is allowed!

Thanks for the good news.